Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What should i have said to a rude sales assistant?

Rarity Paige Belle

(edited)

It's my day off today so I decided to go down to Toys 'R' us to buy some FiM merch for my daughter. I was browsing when the assistant asked me out of the blue 'are you a brony?' I said yes, to which she launched into a rant about how we are corrupting the show! In the end I picked up the first thing I could see (a FiM jigsaw) made my excuses and hurriedly left the store! Should I take the jigsaw back and demand to see the manager?

Edited by Rarity Paige Belle
  • Brohoof 2

This assistant sounds rather rude and ignorant. If she asks you if you are a brony she shouldn't than start ranting to you. Perhaps to someone who share the same opinion as her but certainly not someone who she appears to despise. I fear it is too late for you to go back now but next time you find yourself in the same position tell them off and state they are being rude to you and if they refuseto leave than go and see the manager. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

As someone who's worked in retail for the better part of 20 years; ABSOLUTELY!!!!

There is no reason for someone to bring their personal views to a customer like that and if she gets away with it; she'll only do it to more and more Bronies in the future.

That is extremely unprofessional behavior and I'm sure the manager would want to know about it.

Just be polite when talking to the manager as he or she is not the problem

Edited by JLmle
  • Brohoof 6

I mean if you really do not like your experience you could report her, although that would be a little serious considering it's her job and she could lose it. I don't think I could do it, but the reason I say this is Toys R' Us is a business and what do businesses want? Money. Now it may seem harmless to her, but the people who run Toys R' Us realize that they make money off of us and know that it is a large fandom. Do you think they would want to know that a bad sales associate could have possibly started a fandom to veer away form their stores, of course not. All that sad it really isn't that big of a deal and I wouldn't do this, I was just trying to state the fact that when people work service jobs they should probably think about the consequences of what they say to the customers no matter how small and how it could affect their jobs.

• Brohoof 1

I mean if you really do not like your experience you could report her, although that would be a little serious considering it's her job and she could lose it. I don't think I could do it, but the reason I say this is Toys R' Us is a business and what do businesses want? Money. Now it may seem harmless to her, but the people who run Toys R' Us realize that they make money off of us and know that it is a large fandom. Do you think they would want to know that a bad sales associate could have possibly started a fandom to veer away form their stores, of course not. All that sad it really isn't that big of a deal and I wouldn't do this, I was just trying to state the fact that when people work service jobs they should probably think about the consequences of what they say to the customers no matter how small and how it could affect their jobs.

Not wanting her to get fired is another good reason to complain... That way you can be clear that you don't wanna see her lose her job; just to explain to her that she is representing the company whenever she puts on her uniform and therefore cannot say whatever she thinks about the people she doesn't like... The next person you bucks with may not be so nice.

• Brohoof 2

I would have complained. Right away. Who is she to tell me what I like is wrong? I'd demand to see a manager. If she needs the job, she should act like she needs it and make sure she doesn't lose it rather than bad-mouthing customers. That was downright rude.

• Brohoof 2

As hard as it may have been, I would have gotten the courage to talk to the manager. No sassy Toys R Us employee has the right to mouth off at you like that! The puzzle was for your daughter! Parents can't walk into a toy store without being harrassed whether they are a brony or not? Gosh! :eww:

• Brohoof 2

I decided to go down to Toys 'R' us to buy some FiM merch for my daughter.

Mhmm. ;)

Why not just deal with the associate like you would a hater on the web? Show them we're normal people just like they are, we all have our things we like. ^^

• Brohoof 2

Give it a rest. She's probably had a really bad day, and what's she's saying isn't false. Great, yeah, she probably shouldn't have said that, but she isn't wrong. Heck, my sister came across pony pr0n on safesearch, so yeah, the sexualisation thing is pretty bad, and tbh Bronies should put up with the hate.

Cue "Not all Bronies are all like that".

Either way she was kinda unjustified, but she made a good point.

Give it a rest. She's probably had a really bad day, and what's she's saying isn't false. Great, yeah, she probably shouldn't have said that, but she isn't wrong. Heck, my sister came across pony pr0n on safesearch, so yeah, the sexualisation thing is pretty bad, and tbh Bronies should put up with the hate.

Cue "Not all Bronies are all like that".

Either way she was kinda unjustified, but she made a good point.

Ok bad day or not no customer service person should EVER act like that. It is not your job to shove your hate into a customer's face. If you have an opinion that is not constructive to your job keep it to yourself. If your having a bad day it is not the customers fault if it started before the said customer had an impact on it. To me it sounded like she was just being a bitch. I worked at gamestop for 7 years and never did I lash out at a customer for simply liking something. I was there when Bronys started and guess what I saw plenty of them and still treated them like customers. What she did was way out of line and I think you should go back and demand she be held responsible for her immature reaction to your answer and answer I might add that you were open enough to say. I'm sorry about my little rant but there is absolutely no reason to treat a customer like that.

• Brohoof 3

Seems like someone not so keen on bronies...

if it gets too far just have a (small) argument about it I would not go too far but I just don't know what people have wrong with bronies/pegasisters...

Ok bad day or not no customer service person should EVER act like that. It is not your job to shove your hate into a customer's face. If you have an opinion that is not constructive to your job keep it to yourself. If your having a bad day it is not the customers fault if it started before the said customer had an impact on it. To me it sounded like she was just being a bitch. I worked at gamestop for 7 years and never did I lash out at a customer for simply liking something. I was there when Bronys started and guess what I saw plenty of them and still treated them like customers. What she did was way out of line and I think you should go back and demand she be held responsible for her immature reaction to your answer and answer I might add that you were open enough to say. I'm sorry about my little rant but there is absolutely no reason to treat a customer like that.

Don't want to start an argument here, but I never said she was justified. In fact, I said she wasn't at least twice. I never justified her actions, so there was no real need to quote me. :)

You should certainly complain to the manager: that sort of behaviour isn’t appropriate, even if they didn’t like bronys or whatever then it’s really stupid to be rude to customers because that gets you fired

• Brohoof 2

Give it a rest. She's probably had a really bad day

This right here gives her actions "justification" and also by stating she. Isn't all wrong on her opinion of the fandom again puts Merritt to her UN needed rudeness. I don't want to start an argument ether but telling the wronged party I.e the op to give it a rest makes it seem like what she did was ok. You also stated that she wasn't wrong when she was 100% in the wrong. Basing a biased opinion on something based on only the bad side of it and then shoveling your hate down a poor guys throat is in my book wrong on so many levels. I'm not trying to start anything I swear I'm just expressing how I feel on this topic and how your wording was represented to me.

• Brohoof 1

You should have told her to shove her ignorance up her self righteous bum. Or better yet, you should have threw the jigsaw puzzles at her face, and told her to taste the f*cking rainbow.  :3

Seriously though, call the manager. I believe it's against regulations to harass your customer with bigotry.

• Brohoof 2

This right here gives her actions "justification" and also by stating she. Isn't all wrong on her opinion of the fandom again puts Merritt to her UN needed rudeness. I don't want to start an argument ether but telling the wronged party I.e the op to give it a rest makes it seem like what she did was ok. You also stated that she wasn't wrong when she was 100% in the wrong. Basing a biased opinion on something based on only the bad side of it and then shoveling your hate down a poor guys throat is in my book wrong on so many levels. I'm not trying to start anything I swear I'm just expressing how I feel on this topic and how your wording was represented to me.

Okay, cool. Thank you for taking time to point that out to me. :)

If it was some random stranger on the street I would let it go and move on but this is a bit different than some random stranger on the street. If I as someone who works in a grocery store have to maintain a professional standard of behavior when I am on the job than I don't see why someone who works a toy store shouldn't as well. I don't ask people personal questions on the job and I don't make any judgmental statements because frankly I don't even really know them to begin with.

• Brohoof 1

Personally, I would report her. You don't have to go off on one, just tell her manager that the shop assistant was rude to you and you were upset. I've worked in retail all my working life, and I can tell you something; the whole "bad day" excuse just doesn't cut it with me. I've had a customer call me a bitch for no good reason cept that she was having a "bad day"; she told my manager so after I walked away from the till and refused to serve her after that. My manager backed me up and told the customer off.

As for this lady, perhaps it isn't the first time she's snapped at a customer before and she needs to have her behaviour seen to before it drives away business. Maybe the other victims were too embarrassed to say anything so she's gonna keep on being rude to customers. I once had a sales assistant be rude to me in a shop; at the time, I was wearing a Slipknot hoodie and she said to my face, "You don't look like you can afford to shop here". I just went to talk to the manager, who gave me a voucher and promised to deal with it. She must have been doing that a lot as the next time I went to the shop, she wasn't there.

If it's the first time the cashier has done this, she won't lose her job, she'll just get a telling off. If she's got real life problems, then maybe the telling off will be a prompting to her to fix them.

• Brohoof 2

Tell her you feel as though she's been misinformed, but that you appreciate her being passionate about the toy line nonetheless. Give her a hug and pat her on the back during the embrace.

As she's standing there, stunned, whisper the following into her ear: "Congrats: you've just experienced Brony `corruption'."

You should definitely report her to the manager.  It doesn't matter what anyone's personal opinions are, an employee on duty has no right to hassle a customer.  I would say that's grounds for suspension, if not termination.

(edited)

Dunno if it's already been said because I was too lazy to read the whole thing, but personally, I think it's always best to speak with the offender directly before getting higher authorities involved. Because let's be honest, everyone has bad days, and everyone does and says things that they don't really mean on their worst days. So I don't think it's quite right to have someone punished for one mistake on a bad day, without coming to them first and giving them a chance to redeem themselves.

Imagine you're working in retail, and although you're normally as jovial and warmhearted as you can manage to be, you're having a really rough day. Maybe something's going on in your family, maybe it's just been really busy and you're stressed out, but whatever the reason, you lash out at a customer in your frustration. They leave and you immediately feel remorseful, wishing there was some way you could find them and express your apologies. But you can't, and they report you, and you get fired for it, just because you had one bad day and made one bad choice which you immediately regretted. That would suck major balls.

That doesn't mean that her actions are excused, just that you should give her a chance before reporting her. If you find her and tell her that you were offended, and she makes no attempt at rectifying her actions or continues to be rude, then it'd be appropriate to speak with management. But give her a chance first. That's my two cents.

Edited by Henny Penny Benny
  • Brohoof 1