Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Luna's cutie mark just a moon or the "night" around the moon?

Never2muchpinkie

So this was something that confused me about the series 4 finale. Tirek Om nom nom's everyone's magic, taking away their cutie mark too in the process, leaving them blank flanks. As of yet not one pony has had a different colored flank than the rest of their body, so it has to be part of the cutie mark. But if it's part of the cutie mark it should have disappeared with the moon part of the cutie mark.  If for whatever reason she didn't give Twilight ALL her magic, than Tirek would have taken whatever was left and that part should have disappeared then.

SOOOOO....which is it? Can someone explain this to me? 640px-Luna_without_part_of_her_cutie_mar

So this was something that confused me about the series 4 finale. Tirek Om nom nom's everyone's magic, taking away their cutie mark too in the process, leaving them blank flanks. As of yet not one pony has had a different colored flank than the rest of their body, so it has to be part of the cutie mark. But if it's part of the cutie mark it should have disappeared with the moon part of the cutie mark.  If for whatever reason she didn't give Twilight ALL her magic, than Tirek would have taken whatever was left and that part should have disappeared then.

SOOOOO....which is it? Can someone explain this to me? img-2671548-1-640px-Luna_without_part_of

Like Pipsqueak: Pipsqueak_ID_S2E04.png

Spotted ponies are just rare I guess.

img-2671548-1-640px-Luna_without_part_of

That picture should tell all :D If the night surrounding the moon was her cutie mark, that patch of black would've gone away with the moon - but it didn't, it stayed behind :D

So, that means that her cutie mark is just the moon, and that area of black is part of her coat :D

I think you answered your own question.

If only the little moon disappeared, that means it's her cutie mark, and not the black spot+the moon.

Luna is sad that you are so insensitive about the royal birthmarks...

But no, it does just mean she is a pinto pony like some of the ponies are in the series.

They're technically called pinto ponies.  

But no, it does just mean she is a pinto pony like some of the ponies are in the series.
Does that mean she'd explode if you slapped her rear?

First of all, her cutie mark only being the moon makes sense when you also look at her necklace, and secondly, it makes more sense that she has a spot than a disproportionately large cutie mark, and if it was a part of her cutie mark, what would it signify? Celestia has the sun, Luna has the moon.

• Brohoof 3

Pinto Ponys were plentiful before the Nightmare Moon incident.  After that, they became much more rare due to a couple of generations where pintos were less trusted and hence had a harder time finding mates. 

Yeah Luna's cutie mark is essentially the moon, although I always loved the design around her cutie mark. Also forgot there's a picture of her where she's colored pink lol.

post-5578-0-20269200-1401058465_thumb.png

post-5578-0-10897500-1401058467_thumb.png

• Brohoof 1

I once read a post where someone theorized that the splotch was a part of Luna's cutie mark and it represented the tides, because as Princess of the moon, Luna would also control the tides. I really liked that theory, but I guess it's out the window now.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I've seen both episodes in which Luna loses her cutie mark and, even if it's an obvious inconsistency, I'd like to think that she's a pinto pony and her cutie mark is just the moon.

• 1 year later...

I know this and all of the replies were before this certain episode but the episode where Starlight was sent to the canterlot castle to solve a friendship problem between the sisters

The reason she was sent was because she was the only one powerful enough (other than twilight but she would have never done it) to do the spell, The swapping cutie mark spell that she cast on them not only swapped the symbols of the Sun and Moon but it also transferred the black spot from Luna onto Celestia, and like the discussion started off with when they gave their magic to twilight to keep it safe only the moon from her flank disappeared, is this a continuity error on the writer's or animators part? And if so which one is now canon is it apart of her cutie mark or not?

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:30 AM, EeveeEskimo369 said:

I know this and all of the replies were before this certain episode but the episode where Starlight was sent to the canterlot castle to solve a friendship problem between the sisters

The reason she was sent was because she was the only one powerful enough (other than twilight but she would have never done it) to do the spell, The swapping cutie mark spell that she cast on them not only swapped the symbols of the Sun and Moon but it also transferred the black spot from Luna onto Celestia, and like the discussion started off with when they gave their magic to twilight to keep it safe only the moon from her flank disappeared, is this a continuity error on the writer's or animators part? And if so which one is now canon is it apart of her cutie mark or not?

I think it was for artistic reasons, otherwise, Luna's cutie mark would be invisible on Celestia's flank.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...