Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

walale12

I just wanted to ask everyone what they thought of the latest EU election results, this can be for anywhere in the EU, not just western Europe. Personally, I thought the victory of Far-Right parties in the west (in Particular UKIP in the UK and the Front National in France) showed that the only people who really knew or cared about the EU elections were far-right people who wanted to no longer be part of the Union, as further proven by (in the UK at least) the extremely poor election turnout (it was in the region of about 30%). Anyway, be nice, discuss.

(edited)

Luckily Iceland is not in the EU so it does not effect me at all. Which is why I will dance for the occasion, hopefully they'll manage to be no longer part of it. Because it's just a wreck and I'm glad to not be a part of it. lol

tumblr_m4t0lyzltG1ruzayro1_500.gif

tumblr_m4gpfr3Xe71rvkiiro1_400.gifOV8Q1.gif

Edited by Fluttershyfan94
  • Brohoof 4

I just wanted to ask everyone what they thought of the latest EU election results, this can be for anywhere in the EU, not just western Europe. Personally, I thought the victory of Far-Right parties in the west (in Particular UKIP in the UK and the Front National in France) showed that the only people who really knew or cared about the EU elections were far-right people who wanted to no longer be part of the Union, as further proven by (in the UK at least) the extremely poor election turnout (it was in the region of about 30%). Anyway, be nice, discuss.

Its more the fact that people don't know about the EU in my mind.

There is a party for every view, it has nothing to do with the people knowing anything. Basically in the UK there are a lot of people who think Europe is stealing all our money and jobs. They can't see past that for the good that it does, and they don't really understand europe. Infact, the low turnout was because in this country, there is just lots of distrust towards the main parties, a lot of UKIP votes would have also been in spite on the main parties.

Poles suggested that 38% of people didn't even know there was an election.

Luckily Iceland is not in the EU so it does not effect me at all. Which is why I will dance for the occasion, hopefully they'll manage to be no longer part of it. Because it's just a wreck and I'm glad to not be a part of it. lol

img-2673633-1-tumblr_m4t0lyzltG1ruzayro1

img-2673633-2-tumblr_m4gpfr3Xe71rvkiiro1img-2673633-3-OV8Q1.gif

Iceland is already heavily integrated into the EU is many ways (trade and fishing), so to say it doesn't affect you is wrong. If anything this is worse for you because it means that you have no representatives in the European government so you can't decided what they do to affect your Country.

EU has it's good and bad points.

Iceland is already heavily integrated into the EU is many ways (trade and fishing), so to say it doesn't affect you is wrong. If anything this is worse for you because it means that you have no representatives in the European government so you can't decided what they do to affect your Country.

I know in some ways it does, the way I see it the EU has more bad points at least depends on the country and in Iceland's case we're better out of it.

I know in some ways it does, the way I see it the EU has more bad points at least depends on the country and in Iceland's case we're better out of it.

Fairs, people seem very selfish with it. There are so many poorer countries within the EU that benefit a lot from having the bigger countries be members. I guess I edge towards left wing views.

• Brohoof 1

Fairs, people seem very selfish with it. There are so many poorer countries within the EU that benefit a lot from having the bigger countries be members. I guess I edge towards left wing views.

I respect your opinion, but whether one benefits or not depends on the country.

(edited)

I think it really depends on who you are. I'm an American, so I don't really see this at a European standpoint, but I can imagine Greece must be absolutely hating to be in the EU while Germany embraces the role as the center of Europe. It's really on standpoint.

Meanwhile, I can't tell if France loves or hates the EU.

Basically from history, if the economy serves the people, then people aren't going to change. If the economy tanks or faces a decline, then political power will always lean towards a change in government, no matter how well socially the government governs.

Still, Right wing Europeans are still far left democrats in the US. I scoff at this but this is so true XD

Edited by Carbon Maestro
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Oh how much I envy you.... :/  You did the best job after the big crisis in your country. You should be an example for other EU countries of what should they do. If only your situation weren't silenced. Iceland is the country which no one speaks about in EU.

Iceland is already heavily integrated into the EU is many ways (trade and fishing), so to say it doesn't affect you is wrong.

It's better to trade with EU than within EU. All these laws and norms an enterpreneur needs to fulfill to be allowed to trade, and all the taxes (official and hidden), is a successful stumbling block for many enterpreneurs.

I've seen how so called "help money" from EU to new businesses were being granted for left and right, making an unfair competition for other existing businesses which didn't use any such "help". Many businesses have folded because of that, and these which used that "help" have folded too right after the "help money" has ended. It's not only non-helping, but it's also using our money we pay to EU which is just being given back to us, halved, and on EU's conditions. This is not "help", this is just economic war, destroying member countries' economies and then buying them for credit money, as they already did with Greece.

The same strategy they used to destroy our own agriculture. All these limits for milk & food production (WTF? How can it be too much of it produced? Isn't it good?), donating farmers who do what EU wants from them, all these stupid norms and laws, have ruined our agriculture and made the production of food cost more. To the point that our own sugar factories have bankrupted and we need to import sugar from Germany.

CO2 emission limits which prevent us from using our own natural resources, such as coal, so we need to export our coal abroad and import electricity back instead of producing it ourselves.

If anything this is worse for you because it means that you have no representatives in the European government

You mean the EU parliament? But you know that they don't decide about anything? It's just puppet government to convince member countries that they have anything to say. Same with the so-called EU president. The real decisive organ is the European Council.

Tell me at least one good point.

Edited by SasQ
  • Brohoof 1

As a Northerner, let me tell you that those fuckers in Westminster in that City State of London are FAR worse for us than Brussels ever could be.

If we opt out of the EU, that means we'll be at the mercy of London completely. I don't want more fucking powers to go to London! That's insane! What kind of complete idiot, who lives outside the South East, wants THAT? I'd rather be under the boot of Brussels and have Freedom of Movement, knowing I can head to Germany or somewhere else if the crap hits the fan, than be under the boot of Westminster and have it kill off the rest of the country so it can overfund its corrupted city centre with bankers shoving pound notes into the thongs of strippers and Russian oligarch's and Arab oil sheikhs expanding a housing bubble which, when it blows, will take down London with such force that it'll probably be economically outranked by Berwick-Upon-Tweed when it does happen.

Anyway, as for UKIP: I'm holding out hope that, when the General Election comes around, people drop their bigotry and idiocy and put their vote to better use than UKIP. I'd rather have goddamn Thatcher in power than UKIP because UKIP's usefulness begins and ends at revising immigration (I'll go on record, right here and now, and state that UKIP's idea of adopting an Australian-style immigration policy is exactly what we need. ). When it comes to creating jobs and safeguarding and expanding the economy (Y'know, so we don't get economically outstripped by somewhere like South Sudan), you're better off voting in Captain Mainwaring than Farage. Their economic policies are absolutely dire (Scrap the pensions system for a private system? Abolish taxes such as National Insurance and single-handedly boot our economic back several years? Boost public and defence spending while decreasing cuts, presumably getting the money from the same magical beanstalk Labour did when they got us into this mess?) and if you're voting in UKIP solely on their foreign policies rather than, y'know, what they'll do for the country after the fact, you are, quite simply, a fucking lunatic.

I actually can't wait for the next General Election. How badly will Britain screw itself over? It's so exciting. It's going to be the mother of all train wrecks.

• Brohoof 1

@@SasQ,

The way that have managed fishing. Quotas. They may be flawed, but without them we would have no fish.

Farming (CAP). All the Europe subsidies help farmers in the whole EU earn a proper wage and have made us self sufficient in most commodities, to the point where the rest of the world has had to make use reduce leeve's. 

Insuring countries don't go bankrupt from the banking crisis. You could argue that the EU got some of the countries into this mess, but in the end with the EU those countries would have gone bankrupt.

It's really easy to point out the bad in thing's, but Europe does a lot of good that is not put on TV.