Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Old or new music?

SOULEATERROX

(edited)

I like a mix of both, as I'll listen to whatever I'm in the mood for. New music does tend to appeal to me, since I like alternative rock a lot, but I'm still rather picky in what I like to listen to. :P

Edited by SparklingSwirls

I dislike most new music (that comes on the radio) because it's just not made well. There are a couple that are good, but they are few and far between.

I like old music all right, but sometimes the style gets on my nerves a bit.

What I love the most is music posted by people on YT, usually in the brony fandom, because they have a PASSION for making music.

Mostly, I don't care about when something was released, I just care about whether I like it or not! :lol:

A mixture I guess, I'm a country fan and I love old country music but I also like new pop country too.

Awesome, finally someone else said country. Something about that old country that is just, awesome, not to mention some of it can actually be pretty epic!

The majority of music that I prefer comes from the '80s and '90s.  I think that the quality of music has taken a dive since, partially on account of how music has been reshaped by computers.  However, there's some great stuff still being made by bands such as Within Temptation, Halestorm, and Nightwish.

• Brohoof 1

I like some newer stuff, sure.  But my favorite rock band is Led Zep, and there's no music I love more than the compositions of J.S. Bach.  Sooo...  I'd say I favor older stuff lol.  Not hating, but: I've no interest in rap or hip hop, Emo, or metal where the vocals are all Cookie Monster-esque.

I like mostly old music. 60's-80's, mainly. I do have some exceptions, but for the most part don't care for what the music industry is churning out these days. Oh, I also listen to some J-Pop, and anime themes. I really like Puffy AmiYumi. "Joining a Fanclub" is one of my favorites.

Old or New? Lets See

Looks at my phone playlist on shuffle and hits the next button cons.

Lincolnshire Posey - Granger

Let It Be - Beatles

Concrete Angle - Martina McBride

Paint It Black - Rolling Stones

Sad But True - Metallica

Long And Winding Road - Beatles

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

The Smile Song - Daniel Ingram

I Am Octavia - ??????

Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 2 - Pink Floyd

The Way I Am - Eminem

Feels Like Home - Chantel Kreviazuk

The Parting Glass - Celtic Women

Discord - Living Tombstone ( Dude ... more Pony that Beatles? What!)

Crosstown Traffic - Hendrix

Sky Full Of Stars - Coldplay

Sober - P!nk

Somewhere Only We Know - Keane

Zero - Smashing Pumpkins

Toccata And Fugue In D Minor - Bach

Who Wants to Live Forever.

All of the Stars - Ed Sheehan

Well ... only two songs from this year, and one is Coldplay so it doesn't really count. I omitted all indie and local bands which I prefer. Two Classical Pieces, two Brony songs and one official MLP song, 90's ... 60's ... and some from the 00's. I guess that qualifies me as old music ... or eclectic. This decade is missing something so far. I can't put my finger on it

• Brohoof 1

I don't get the negativity on modern music. I can guarantee that past music had absolute stinkers too, it's just no one really talks about them.

As for music I'm mostly modern but that mostly because of my preferred genres of music so I don't really listen to anything before the 90's.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't get the negativity on modern music. I can guarantee that past music had absolute stinkers too, it's just no one really talks about them.

Thank you.

I don't understand why anyone would bother themselves with this question in the first place.

Edited by LatinoChurro

Mostly old, to be honest. I don't really like the current music industry that much.

It's not even a question of taste for me. The modern music library is ever expanding while the old library remains relatively stagnant. I'll always continue running in to newer song I like, across varying styles, but I'd have to go way out of my way to find something old much less an old song I haven't heard before and actually like. So, naturally, I end up listening mostly to songs from my own time.

Older stuff..ya'know, stuff you'd find on 8 tracks, vinyls and cassettes.  Though I'm seeing new stuff released on vinyl still, which is kinda awesome. :squee:

But, timeline wise, I prefer, 60s (British Invasion), 70s (GnR, AC/DC) and the 80s.(Metallica) :squee:

A lot of new music isn't all that great....I miss the good old rock and roll.  

I find the only good new music are from people like Imagine Dragons, Foster The People and other indie bands.

• Brohoof 1

Old. Classic Rock is my favorite genre and anything made past the 90's either for me is "meh" or awful sounding.

With the notable exception of most brony music. I'm not even kidding, our fandom makes some of the best stuff to listen to in years!

• Brohoof 1

Asking me that a year ago would have gotten you a very different answer. Back then, "old" music was almost all I would listen to, that primarily being classic rock (what I grew up with), jazz and classical. Those were the two genres I enjoyed the most. To be fair, my experiences outside those genres were rather limited and what little I heard of more modern tunes wasn't my cup of tea, to put it mildly.

Thanks to a number of people here, my horizons have been broadened to include some variants of dubstep and EDM, along with some 90s alt rock and more metal. Symphonic and power metal have always been my only loves in the metal world, yet I wasn't very familiar with either genre or many bands within them. SCS mentioned a ton to me one evening and started me on a craze that's been enduring for two weeks now.

Categorically denouncing all music made after an arbitrarily established point in time was rather narrow-minded of me and something I'm glad to have renounced. There's plenty of good stuff produced post-2000 and even in this decade, with something for everyone. You just sometimes need help finding what tickles your fancy.

There is still a steady trickle of good stuff coming out today, but that's all it is. A trickle. And for every Emeli Sande or OneRepublic to tickle my eardrums and make me hopeful for the future, there's about 20 awful House DJs to make me feel physically ill.

But when I listen to old music, mostly from the 40s-60s, with a bit of spillover into the 80s and occasional 70s, I almost never encounter anything that I can actually hate. Sure, there are always going to be duds, but the duds of olde were always just more mediocre than terrible like they are today. Meanwhile, the good stuff is bountiful and excellent, and easily stands toe-to-toe with anything we are capable of making today.

So, with that in mind, I mostly prefer old music over the music of today. New stuff may not be all bad, and I'm actually far more lenient on most of the more infamous acts of the modern day than most people are. But it's still pretty evident that the industry has lost its edge, and is much more interested in quotas and demographics than it is in making genuinely good music.

Thank you.

I don't understand why anyone would bother themselves with this question in the first place.

It's probably as a means of communicating ideas and strengthening bonds on these forums; that's why I do them, anyways.

I'm not a hardcore music listener, but a lot of the music I listen to is more or less recent. However, keep in mind I stay away from that teeny bopper poppy stuff.

Yah see, I like metal; especially power, symphonic, progressive, and the like. Most of the bands I listen to, like Rhapsody of Fire, Sonata Arctica, Sabaton, Fairyland, Therion, etc., were formed in the 90s at the earliest. There are some exceptions like Stratovarious and Helloween, but they're essentially the forefathers of the bands I mentions. In contract, I also listen to Black Sabbath, however, I have not been able to really get in to them all that much.

The older metal stuff really still has yet to grow on me.

Other modern music I tend to listen is soundtrack music from movies, TV, and video games...granted, I do like music from some older movies (King King '33 still rules).

Granted I still do love music from the gods of classical like Back, Mozart, and Beethoven, so...yeah.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not a hardcore music listener, but a lot of the music I listen to is more or less recent. However, keep in mind I stay away from that teeny bopper poppy stuff.

Yah see, I like metal; especially power, symphonic, progressive, and the like. Most of the bands I listen to, like Rhapsody of Fire, Sonata Arctica, Sabaton, Fairyland, Therion, etc., were formed in the 90s at the earliest. There are some exceptions like Stratovarious and Helloween, but they're essentially the forefathers of the bands I mentions. In contract, I also listen to Black Sabbath, however, I have not been able to really get in to them all that much.

The older metal stuff really still has yet to grow on me.

Other modern music I tend to listen is soundtrack music from movies, TV, and video games...granted, I do like music from some older movies (King King '33 still rules).

Granted I still do love music from the gods of classical like Back, Mozart, and Beethoven, so...yeah.

You would've LOVED the Bach marathon that I listened to at work last night.  It was a solid two hours of great pieces of art.

You would've LOVED the Bach marathon that I listened to at work last night.  It was a solid two hours of great pieces of art.

What can I say? Bach is THE man!

• Brohoof 1