Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Old or new music?

SOULEATERROX

I generally stick to music from the late 60s to the early 2000s. Although there are exceptions for some bands like Syd Matters, Message to Bears or Foals for me.

However, genre REALLY makes it up for me. With indie music, it's completely different. With punk and rock it's old stuff.

I listen to both old and new. Although new is almost entirely internet musicians, old is completely actual (and popular) artists. I don't really prefer genres (country&rap are exceptions; they suck) as long as the music is good.

I hate this phrase, but I really do tend to listen to a little bit of everything. I tend to lean toward older music just because it's what I grew up with, so I like it more, but I don't really have anything against "newer" music. I really like old rock and rap, folk, funk, punk, and things like that, but I do find myself listening to newer rap and hip hop, as well as some newer metal, so I don't know. I guess I would say that I like older music more, but some of the newer stuff is pretty cool beans too.

As much as I try to deny it in front of my family. Hip-hop is my favorite genre. Hip-Hop and rock are awesome. I don't mean any rockers though. There are a few rock artists who I actually enjoy listening to such as Limp Bizkit, Metallica, AC/DC, Green Day etc. But it's almost like every sound I hear is a hip-hop beat.

Growing up in NYC hip-hop was everywhere. I don't like modern rap though like Nicki Minaj and Fetty Wap. Nor do I like Young Thug who I can barely understand his words. I like 90's rap mainly from the east. Like Mobb Deep, 50 Cent, Gang Starr, Nas, and even D12(from Detroit). For west coast I liked Warren G, Nate Dogg, N.W.A(and eazy of course).

But for modern music, Hopsin and Kendrick Lamar are the only good rappers out there today. and I really enjoy The Weeknd's music, maybe a few songs from Childish Gambino, admittedly, Katy Perry, Ellie Goulding and probably a few others. So both I guess.

Edited by Jeru

As much as I try to deny it in front of my family. Hip-hop is my favorite genre. Hip-Hop and rock are awesome. I don't mean any rockers though. There are a few rock artists who I actually enjoy listening to such as Limp Bizkit, Metallica, AC/DC, Green Day etc. But it's almost like every sound I hear is a hip-hop beat.

Growing up in NYC hip-hop was everywhere. I don't like modern rap though like Nicki Minaj and Fetty Wap. Nor do I like Young Thug who I can barely understand his words. I like 90's rap mainly from the east. Like Mobb Deep, 50 Cent, Gang Starr, Nas, and even D12(from Detroit). For west coast I liked Warren G, Nate Dogg, N.W.A(and eazy of course).

But for modern music, Hopsin and Kendrick Lamar are the only good rappers out there today. and I really enjoy The Weeknd's music, maybe a few songs from Childish Gambino, admittedly, Katy Perry, Ellie Goulding and probably a few others. So both I guess.

I think I found someone who's a duplicate of me XD. All joking aside, I'm very similar in music taste, although I'd call my music taste a balance between rock and rap.

Both of course!

You see lots of people saying that old music was the best, but if you look past the mainstream music of today you'll find that there are plenty of good artists out there.

I can enjoy "new" music only in a very few special cases. Pony is one of these.

Musically speaking, my number one preferred decade is the 80s when synthpop grew up, and before electronic music was all sequenced and quantised, followed by the 70s and the 60s.

I dont care if a Song is Old or New, i just hear which sounds great in my ears.

Music from the 60, 70, 80, 90 and everything up to now.

And maybe even older Music, if i get to hear some really old Music.

But i prefer Eurodance, which sadly doesnt exist anymore.  :(

• 1 month later...

attachicon.gifwhynotboth.jpg

I listen to both old and new music. Personally, I like the newer stuff better. It's alright if you prefer older music than newer ones. Just don't act like you're superior for your taste in music. Seriously, people like that are extremely annoying! Here's an example of what those nostalgia whiners say:

"Waaaahhhh! I love Pink Floyd! Why can't today's music sound good like this??? I hate my generation!!!11 Today's music sucks! I wanna go back to da 70s!"

If you're gonna complain how today's music "sucks", I guess you should dig deeper into the underground and actually try and find better music made today. I guarantee you'll find something enjoyable. There's more to this generation than mainstream Justin Bieber and Nicki Minaj crap.

Besides, even during the 70s and 90s, the so-called "golden ages of music" also had crappy songs too. Not just this decade.

You should probably read my post and tell me what you think. 

You sound like the type of people I'm referring to.  >_>

You should read my post too. 

ya man i made that post close to 2 years ago, to be honest I really do not care anymore more when it comes to music opinions, I listen to everything and respect other opinions now.

• Brohoof 1

I listen to a mix of old and new music, although the older it gets, the fewer artists and songs I actually like. These days I listen to a lot of J-Rock and bands that you don't generally hear on the radio (here in the Netherlands anyway) like Rise Against.

• 1 year later...
On 6/6/2014 at 1:05 AM, Unified Draft said:

music is a dying art, todays music is cluttered with the trash of teen pop singers, so I'm going to say that old music (particularly anything from 1970-1994) is better

I can not believe the level of immaturity I presented here. Music has always had its flaws, there are different types for different people. 4 years ago would have stuck to primarily 70s and 80s, now I listen to everything. I especially have gotten into the rap and electronic scene sense then too. Childish Gambino is lit

I listen to music from the 20's-90's and eh...I think for new generation would be more toward to k-pop.