Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How many languages do you speak (or plan to learn)?

Carbon Maestro

How many languages?  

121 users have voted

1. 1. How many languages do you speak (or plan to speak)?

• 6 or more

(edited)

English and Norwegian here, but written in both those are messed up. Which is why I think not all my posts may or may not make sence, that and typos in general.

​And am slowly getting my head around C# the programming language and investigating C++ if that counts

Edited by Unicornecious

I am only fluent in English, although I really want to find time to learn another language. I can speak a little Spanish, but not enough to hold a conversation. I wish I had payed more attention in High School Spanish class.

I would love to learn to speak Dutch. I've actually heard that grammatically, it's a fairly easy language for Americans to learn. 

• 3 months later...

English and Latin American Spanish. I want to learn Russian because I'm half Russian and hope to move there someday, and I want to learn Japanese because I'm a huge weeb and want to be able to enjoy anime in the native language. 

English and Spanish, getting better with my French and learning some Turkish. Aside from that I can read Greek and the Korean alphabet, although I have studied very little of the former and next to nothing of the latter. 

How many languages I want to speak? I'm not sure, but at least 4 or 5 because becoming a polyglot is a personal goal of mine. I want to learn at least a little bit of Russian, Polish, Japanese, Arabic and/or a Celtic language.

English– fluent, 1st language. US born and raised.

Spanish– 1/2 hispanic (mom's side of the family from Peru). Only partially fluent, but I can't write in Spanish for the life of me. xD

Edited by ElementalFluttershee

• 1 month later...

English is my native tongue, as an American. But I sort of know German too, or rather I can mildly conversational at the "Guten tag. Wie gehts?" level and an odd smattering. I haven't had many opportunities to exercise it so it's shrank to what I need to know to swear at the dogs.

And beyond that it's an odd smattering of words. I can do basic introductions in French and Spanish, and I know a couple swear words in Russian/Polish/Slavwhatever (Kurwa, Cyka, Blyatt, etc.)

I also tried to learn a bit of Arabic, but for some reason that just sort of fell apart and I stopped trying to teach myself. It's somewhere at a level between mine German and the other token-spoken languages.

What I would really like to do is brush back up on my deutsch someday, from time to time I'll read Der Spiegel in the native German at work; without the benefit of a dictionary or flexibility to bounce between Google Translate to translate and learn single words as I read. I'd also like to get off my lazy ass to get a handle of Arabic. And because I've been listening to a fair bit of Tinariwen I'd like to learn Tamashek/Taureq (because at this point the only words of that language I know for certain is 'tinariwen' itself and 'tenere', both meaning "desert", but the former is the plural form of the later).

Aside from English I've been studying French for four years, so I'd say I'm at least somewhat close to being fluent (although my accent needs some work). I've studied Spanish for about two years now, and German for a good 4-5 months. Ideally I'd like to be fluent in all three.

I wouldn't mind picking up some other language after that, maybe Italian or even Dutch or something. I love European languages :P

Just English. I should try and learn Welsh as I'm Welsh and all but I find learning languages really difficult >.>

It is, but the payoff is worth it. It opens you up to a whole new world.

• 2 weeks later...

My native language is French and I also speak English of course. I am learning mandarin chinese with the simplified chinese writing and after that I plan to learn cantonese chinese and the traditional chinese writing.