Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

FireSpitter- Nightmare Moon

FireSpitter

Ok.

The thing I'm having a hard time with this piece is that you stuck with one idea and did not develop it. You basically had only two parts to the song: the harp and choir pad mellow part, and then the hard metal-anthem part. You need to work on your development because after a while, the piece became quite stale.

You basically limited yourself to 5ths: B-F#, C-G, D-A, Eb-Bb, which is not a good idea. You can't do so much with 5ths. Plus, B Major is not the key for Nightmare Moon. The best keys for Nightmare Moon are minor keys like D minor, D# minor and my personal fave for Nightmare Moon: C# minor.

With the proper key, you can create a wide array of four chord progressions. To understand the fundamentals of making chord progressions and scale degrees, you can visit this thread here: https://mlpforums.com/topic/136619-chords-progressions-modulations-a-guide-to-composing-music/

If you've read through the thread, here are some suggestions for progressions:

i-VII-III-V

i-VII-VI-V

III-VII-i-V

i-III-iv-V

There are many more ways you can make these progressions.

In terms of the order of your song, it could follow according to a bell curve. Start mellow, build up to a peak and bring it back down. It's sort of frowned on to have multiple peaks and bounds in metal pieces. You can end on a solid peak though.

All in all, this piece could use a lot of work. I'm here if you need help.

Edited by C. Thunder Dash

Were you able to understand all I said in my critique?

Yes. And there's a reason why that song is in the form it is. It was made by my friend's request. It was originally meant as background music to the game he was making back then, and he wanted it that way. I had my orders, so to speak :) . To be honest, I like it the way it is :)

Edited by FireSpitter

Yes. And there's a reason why that song is in the form it is. It was made by my friend's request. It was originally meant as background music to the game he was making back then, and he wanted it that way. I had my orders, so to speak :) . To be honest, I like it the way it is :)

Ah, the thing is...can't be repeating things too much. It becomes stale after a while. 

Ah, the thing is...can't be repeating things too much. It becomes stale after a while. 

That's true. There's always that risk.

But as for this song, my friend requested me to do it the way it is now