Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

First pony drawing, I would like some critique.

Juggler

So I decided to learn how to draw ponies, and well here's my first stab at Rainbow Dash:

post-6168-0-61526100-1347367649_thumb.jpg

So I would like some advice on how I could improve in my art?

Edited by Juggler
  • Brohoof 4

Let's see... The body is too long. And the legs are usually more... curved.

Besides that... It's ok.

The eyes look good, better than the eyes I draw. Also, the face itself looks nice, nothing to say there. The only problem is that the body is too long and the legs aren't as much curved as they should be.

• Brohoof 1

I think this is very good, especially for a first drawing. I notice that certain proportions aren't entirely accurate, but I assume that that's just a result of your drawing style. The only legitimate complaint I can put forth is that the cutie mark is incorrectly proportioned and placed a bit too far forward. Other than that, great drawing, can't wait to see more from you.

• Brohoof 1

looks pretty good for first time :)

probably better then my first time X3

few things

the body is way too long, it should be way shorter then you think (i had this problem too)

the back of the body should be way more circular

the legs should be curved to the front (the back legs are better in this one)

the hair (especially the back of the mane) shouldnt have sharp turns (unless its spiky)

the wings should carl to front, and just then backward

the eyes should be based on circles

• Brohoof 1

I don't recall seeing a pony vector with this pose, so you probably drew this from memory. You could supposedly draw from memory, but you can easily draw them rather inaccurate from the show as memory can only go so far. I would suggest drawing from references so you can get show-accurate proportions into memory.

However, if it's useful to know...

If you try a pose that's more interesting (but more difficult), remember that ponies have joints and bones. Don't forget that they also have a shoulder so you can avoid placing the front legs a little awkwardly. I see it as placed too far in front.

Hair also seems a little boring. If you were to exaggerate the curves, your work might be more interesting.

The wings should not be placed in the middle of the body. They are placed a little behind the shoulders.

The size of the nose is greatly exaggerated, as well as the length of the body.

If you try to imagine the outline on the top of her head which her mane is covering up, it doesn't make much sense.

Her eyes are shaped like upside-down U's, but their eyes are actually a more oval. SInce this is a 3/4ths perspective, both eyes should not have the same width. The eye that's farther from us should appear narrower due to the curve of the face.

The feathers are also not long enough. I remember show-accurate feathers as longer and very rounded at the ends. Wing shape is also a tad incorrect, but it's difficult to describe with words =/

Edited by Pix3M
  • Brohoof 1