Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pony Races and the Show's Portrayal of Gender

Zerbu

This is a bit of a controversial topic, but I feel it's something worth discussing...

You probably know by now that breaking gender stereotypes and going against gender roles was an intention of MLP:FiM. This is why I find the three pony races (Unicorns, Pegasi and Earth Ponies) to be interesting.

Doesn't that kind contradict the message of going against the roles assigned to you based on your biology?

The different pony races having different roles based on their biology is very different to gender roles that are assigned in real life. It's generally assumed that ponies are happy with their roles, but... isn't that the same mentality some people take towards gender roles to try and defend them? You could argue that it's different given the fact pony race roles can't be changed because of biological differences, but all that really says is that biology is unfair, not that the ponies are always happy with it.

Anyway, this doesn't make me enjoy the show less or anything. I just thought it was interesting.

Edited by Zerbu
  • Brohoof 2

I just take the show for what it is and try not to look too deeply into it.

I'm not concerned about any underlying messages or portrayals of genders.

Doesn't that kind contradict the message of going against the roles assigned to you based on your biology?

Fluttershy: Lives on the ground and takes care of animals in a role you'd think would be something for an earth pony.

Pinkie pie: does nothing with plants or the earth.

Rarity: part of the animals team during winter wrap up despite that not being a unicorns domain.

Ect.

I can definitely see some kind of jealousy develop towards other races. Say: An earth-pony or a unicorn's dream is to work a weather related job. The unicorn might be able to learn some helpful magic but what's the earth-pony gona do?

And I'm pretty sure some snobby unicorns and pegasi look down on other races because they couldn't fulfill the same tasks.

Earth-ponies really have the hardest time here.