Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are Double Rainboom Puppets Legal to Use? (Free of DHX assets)

TS Lightner

So, as I'm working on finding Flash Puppets to use in my fan episode project, I know there has been a lot of controversy over the years on Double Rainboom's Flash Puppet Rigs.  I know that the Stallion rigs (which I don't believe are anywhere on the net [at least that I've seen]), had DHX parts, but what I'm wondering, is if the Mare and Foal rigs used any DHX parts that would make them illegal to use.  I have found enough base rigs of the Last Stand of Harmony and Dinky's Destiny format (which were cleansed of DHX parts by the creators of the rigs) to use for creating new characters, but would we have to create some characters in THIS format, so that we are not using Double Rainboom puppet versions of the characters, in the event that the Double Rainboom puppets do in fact carry leaked assets?  If someone could give me some insight to this, that would be appreciated!

-SP64

P.S. If this is in the wrong section, I'm sorry.  It seemed like project legality was to be only discussed in SCC, and because this was about asset legality, I presumed this was allowed here.

• 4 months later...

I don't know if the DR puppets have any DHX assets, but why choose those over the Last Stand and Dinky puppets? If you really want the Rainboom puppets you can just trace over the pieces to make sure they're clean.

4 hours ago, weegygreen2 said:

but why choose those over the Last Stand and Dinky puppets?

The reason being, is that some ponies are already built in the Double Rainboom format, and I figured that the ones that are of background ponies could probably be used instead of rebuilding them in the other formats, since the updated format wouldn't quit be needed for those ponies.  (Though as time passes, I would slowly phase out the DR puppets in favor of the TiredBrony format [LS & DD puppets]).

It's pretty easy to make separate characters once you build the first puppet, since the only differences between characters is their color, hairstyle, and mark. (unless they're have special proportions like fleur or the princesseses). Flash has a neat feature where you can replace every color that a puppet uses to a different one, so if you wanted to make a surprise puppet or something it would take less than a minute to do

@weegygreen2 Well I do know about that being a thing, but the hairstyle itself is what probably takes so long for ponies to do.  Probably because it needs to be re-created for each direction of orientation.

(Also, do you know of any Brony animators I could contact to help with the project these puppets would be used in?  I'm pretty much still a beginner when it comes to Flash Animation, as although I kind of know how to do it, it still intimidates me.)

Edited by Superplay64

yea, all the hair angles are annoying

But i think it would be worth it to convert to the other puppets, since they're more flexible than the rainboom ones.

The only one I know is immatoonlink, but I dont't know if he does any non-monetized animation anymore.

Crowne Prince might be interested, but I've never talked to her.

Edited by weegygreen2

• 5 years later...

The puppets were 100% made by the double rainboom team and nothing by hasbro. They asked the creators if they could make it for a school thing or something like that and they said yes. The puppets were free to use and I know the files themself arnt around on their site anymore though. I’m not sure if the mlp puppet group on DA use to or may still be there of a huge zip full of Tony’s of puppets to use for free. I have it but im not to sure if im spose to give it or anything.

if you know how to use flash though you could easily make your own with time.