Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Opinion needed for comic series

Phoenix237

Okay so I'm planning on making a comic series based on MLP.

However the way my story is going it seems to be an alternative universe.

Don't get me wrong the characters are still ponies and they work in this new environment. I have put thought into it and it seems like it could work.

However my question is, is this alright.

You see most try to make a story based on MLP in the same universe. Or a similar variation. They take what is there and work with it.

Now don't get me wrong I love what has been produced.

I do

However

If I'm being honest my most favorite fan-fics and comics are in worlds that are either different in one way or different on a huge scale because of an event. Now they still are the same characters and the environment is the same (sometimes), but the setting, or the universe is different.

For example one of my favorite comic series is Mauroz Friendship is Magic.

It's a human, manga, action version of MLP.

I can't do the series justice by explaining it, but I will try.

It follow the story of MLP, but it gives it's own twist and own identity. The story is similar I. Some ways, however you can tell this isn't the same story and that it is its own universe with it's own original story. The characters are those we know an love, but their stories are different and thats what got me interested in it.

It takes the MLP world and gives it a "what if" approche.

http://mauroz.deviantart.com/art/Friendship-Is-Magic-330419485?qo=2&catpath=faves:commonbrony:56878296&order=0&offset=2

Now my plan is for the MLP cast to be in a different setting. I have planned this and it seems to work well. Because it's an alternitive universe some changes (for better or for worst) need to be made in character.

But the question here is what is your opinion?

What is your opinion on alternative universes?

I want to know so that I can avoid some things, but keep some things I want, or even advice.

On terms of an alternate universe, there are quite a few directions you could go, as far as My opinion goes I'd say try something that mixes the dream like atmosphere of David Lynch with with the realistic grittiness of  Christopher Nolan. Sounds contradictory but it might work.

Although I would recommend that you experiment a bit in the writing stage of things, make something that has it's own feel it, a personal touch of sorts.

• Brohoof 1