Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Robin Hoof draws some ponies

Robin Hoof

Hey all, new to the forums. Thought I would contribute to the fabulous creative outpouring of the community. I recently got some new illustration pens and went a little crazy with them. Im sure I will put them through their paces some more (ha see what I did there). Then I thought hey, why not use that new fangled computer program everyone is talking about. So I scanned the drawing in and look at the youtubes and my black and white world turned technicolor. Bellow is my first experience in coloring with photoshop from a raw drawing. I guess you can teach an old pony new tricks. I suspect there will be more to come as I experiment.

post-20639-0-11649200-1383525108_thumb.jpg

Edited by Robin Hoof
  • Brohoof 6

(edited)

Of course. I tomorrow I will be messing around some more after raquetball. My plan is to draw some star trot. Red shirts, a Kirk pony and a Spock pony.

I wanna get to the point where I can use colored outlines proper with the drawings. I found a good tutorial but my photoshop is an older version so it requires some alterations to technique for me to follow.

Edited by Robin Hoof

(edited)

So much Yay. Did another fun quick sketch. Thought Star Trot might be fun, i mean what kind of cutie marks would redshirts have.... 

Feel free to take my images and play with them too. They are just quick sketches so i have no attachment to them. I would love to see other people mess with my ideas or work ( I can also provide the black and whites if anyone wants them). Learned some stuff from my other drawing and implemented it into this one. Unfortuantly I only learned how to draw scared ponies from this drawing. 

ALso i gave the redshirts names from left to right: Crosshairs, Bullseye, and Spot. 

post-20639-0-38283300-1383601907_thumb.jpg

Edited by Robin Hoof
  • Brohoof 1

What the hay? Is spot afraid of paraspites?

Really awesome characters you've got there!

Spot is not afraid of the parasprite, he is afraid of the unknown and his inevitable fate.

Super glad people enjoyed this, what should I do next?

woo hoo another one. This one was for my wife. She just wanted disco inferno derpy but then i just kept drawing. No color (sorry) felt like playing with pencils. 

Poor Octavia, no pony properly appreciates the classics 

post-20639-0-55437100-1383691339_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 3

Spot is not afraid of the parasprite, he is afraid of the unknown and his inevitable fate.

Super glad people enjoyed this, what should I do next?

woo hoo another one. This one was for my wife. She just wanted disco inferno derpy but then i just kept drawing. No color (sorry) felt like playing with pencils. 

Poor Octavia, no pony properly appreciates the classics 

Aww, look at Tavi all alone. :( Another really well drawn pic! You should honestly open up request shop 'cause your drawings are really awesome!

(edited)

No need to pay for requests if someone suggests something I will generally be happy to draw it if it sounds fun ( these things don't take too long). So far though, your the only one talking about Em.

It's funny that flim, flam and sweetie bell are my favorites in that one because they were definitely an afterthought and something to fill the space in (ya, dangle that preposition).

And Octy isn't alone up there, pinky is blastin away on the fugal horn too! (Somehow I suspect she is the reason Octavia ended up in this position)

Hey THunder, This one is just for you cause i got board. Sorry I think your going to lose this race though. Done with watercolors cause i was feeling adventurous. 

post-20639-0-58980400-1383702149_thumb.jpg

Edited by Robin Hoof
  • Brohoof 1

@@Robin Hoof,

Eh, Thunder Dash is pretty fast, besides he has the ability to wield electricity  which gives him the advantage, not to be OP of course, 'cause there's a downside: if he uses too much electricity at once, he becomes very weak and will need a shot from a thundercloud.  

Back to digital. Still trying to wield photoshop. Thankfully someone let me try my hand at an oc so I did this one up. Still trying to find a style I like.

Oh now that's cute. Love the style you used there. I don't know why art threads such as this one don't get that much attention here. 

Oh now that's cute. Love the style you used there. I don't know why art threads such as this one don't get that much attention here.

Thanks Thunder. Ill keep drawing them as long as its fun. Just gotta sit down and try and find ways to get better at digital stuff while keeping all the input original.

I can see you getting better from one picture to the next. Is it getting easier to draw differnat poses/expressions as you keep working? Keep up the great work!

Thanks pony grove (hail the bruins from a fellow Bostonian btw). Ya it's getting easier to sketch stuff and more dynamic poses. I am severely out of practice with drawing, but its really nice to draw ponies because I always have something to draw and honestly it doesn't matter how it ends up looking :).

Edited by Robin Hoof

Looks like you are making some serious progress on coloring. I know next to nothing about art or drawing, but have you tried using Flash? I think that a lot of the vector art uses Flash animation in some way. For all other comic art, Photoshop is the way to go... provided you can get a cintiq board. Again, this is just what I have been told and I am not speaking from experience. Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

• Brohoof 1

Ya I have vectored before, I can do it its just not that much fun for me. Plus I do use photoshop so it's not REALLY vectoring. I dont know if my hippy brain can handle learning another program on my own. The time it takes is best spent on other life tasks. i usually only get an hour or so to draw when i have a chance and things are starting to speed up too.

As always I apreceate the encouragement. Currently lacking inspiration right now though :( need some new fun ideas to draw.

Currently lacking inspiration right now though sad.png need some new fun ideas to draw.

Well, it looks like you are a Star Trec fan... how about something else with your red shirts? Like them vs. the hydra? Or you can be topical and do something involving the Playstation 4, which just launched today. Just spit balling ideas here, so draw what inspires you!

Well, it looks like you are a Star Trec fan... how about something else with your red shirts? Like them vs. the hydra? Or you can be topical and do something involving the Playstation 4, which just launched today. Just spit balling ideas here, so draw what inspires you!

And the spitball found the target. Spot, Bullseye and Crosshairs are back. They found their way down to swampy bottom bog and met the good old hydra. Here is hoping some kind and talented pony find their way out there to help them...

post-20639-0-66080800-1384647353_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Dude, that's great! I think I love these guys. The red shirts from Trec don't get love... they usually just get phasers. The shadowing on their legs really came through nicely.

Thanks pony grove. The success of that last picture inspired me to put those poor ponies in a few ore picture. Since John de Lancie is so fricking cool the next one shall have Discord in it (that being only apt since this is star trot we are talking about). I am glad tha at least one other person enjoys these three smile.png. Drawing scared ponies is just challenging enough to be fun smile.png.

Oh man I slacked off today and drew another picture! 

Thought it apt that Discord mess with the red shirts him being Q and all... At least Crosshairs isnt being eaten by anything this time. 

post-20639-0-49643500-1384725089_thumb.jpg

Edited by Robin Hoof
  • Brohoof 1

And a big thanks to eightbithoof for his instructional thread. I have had sketchbook pro kicking around my ipad and never knew how cool it could be. So happily I colored in my quick fluttershy is a tree drawing.

post-20639-0-92489100-1384913217_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 1