Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Tips in making fanfiction

GemiNi

On making fanfictions. I was wondering if people cared more about on how sophisticated or properly using of the sentences are or how good the plot is? Any tips or suggestions on making it better?

It really depends on your writing style. I've had people tell me that my fanfics were worthless because I don't write chapters with 1k + words. I don't write long chapters, I write stories that leave a LOT to the imagination. I don't write stories that tie all the loose ends- I want people to kinda wonder "oh my gosh what happened?!?" It makes people THINK.

But that's just me. My suggestion is write you. Find a style you enjoy writing in and go for it.

Best of luck  :) .

It really depends on your writing style. I've had people tell me that my fanfics were worthless because I don't write chapters with 1k + words. I don't write long chapters, I write stories that leave a LOT to the imagination. I don't write stories that tie all the loose ends- I want people to kinda wonder "oh my gosh what happened?!?" It makes people THINK.

But that's just me. My suggestion is write you. Find a style you enjoy writing in and go for it.

Best of luck  :) .

thanks for the help. I guess some people are such critics and want long chapters. Just like some of the people I know -_-

thanks for the help. I guess some people are such critics and want long chapters. Just like some of the people I know -_-

My thing is that if it's not your thing to write long chapters, don't force yourself. Long forced chapters are usually of a lower quality than short natural chapters.

Any tips or suggestions on making it better?

-Read. A lot. Look for something in the writing style of your favourite authors that you like (the way they describe things, expressions they use ect.) and use that

-write regularly. 30 min-1 hour a day is best, if you can fit it in

-listen to (constructive) criticism

-don't write for the views/brohoofs/comments/whatever. Chances are these will take a while and you'll get sick of it before that

Edited by Silverwisp the Bard

My thing is that if it's not your thing to write long chapters, don't force yourself. Long forced chapters are usually of a lower quality than short natural chapters.

I'll try but it became a habit, by making side stories.

-Read. A lot. Look for something in the writing style of your favourite authors that you like (the way they describe things, expressions they use ect.) and use that

-write regularly. 30 min-1 hour a day is best, if you can fit it in

-listen to (constructive) criticism

-don't write for the views/brohoofs/comments/whatever. Chances are these will take a while and you'll get sick of it before that

Heh... my friend keep suggesting of using the thesaurus. Should I use it anyway?

Write however you feel comfortable. If you're comfortable writing long chapters, go for it. Just don't get hung up on them.

Heh... my friend keep suggesting of using the thesaurus. Should I use it anyway?

If you like. But don't force it. For examle: If Rainbow Dash were to describe the colour of a dress, "blue"  would probably suffice, whereas Rarity would probably be somewhat more specific/poetic ("azure", "sapphire", "ultramarine"...). With time you'll learn when to go for the big words and when not to.

Edited by Silverwisp the Bard

If you like. But don't force it. For examle: If Rainbow Dash were to describe the colour of a dress, "blue"  would probably suffice, whereas Rarity would probably be somewhat more specific/poetic ("azure", "sapphire", "ultramarine"...). With time you'll learn when to go for the big words and when not to.

I actually saw a fic where Rainbow Dash actually said "ultramarine" when describing something (I think it was the sky.) ... inner shudders. Inner shudders.

Maybe she read int in a Daring Do book :).

That is the only excuse I can give. Maybe. This was my face:  :eww:

It's like Pinkie Pie calming down, or Twilight not studying. It's just...  :angry: rejected!!!

(edited)

I see... and I have another question? Do I need to draw the cover page for my story? I am seriously bad at drawing in the computer.

Edited by kings76