private Axis and allies. ALLIES IC 2.0

arkman575

(edited)

"Right" Atlas dropped cold as well. "I wouldn't be surpassed if we ship out tomorrow morning. My orders were a bit vague when I first got them" He looked outside once more. "It's going to be dark soon. We don't have a mess from what I saw so we just eat from our rations. We're in basically a camp just set up to house troops that are going to be moving out in hours" Atlas sat down on his bunk.

Hunter opened his pack to pull out some non-meat rations but stopped when he remembered something. He facehoofed. 

"Atlas, I need to speak to you" He got up and left the tent leaving the bag open.

"I'll see what he wants" Atlas got up as well. 

Hunter stood next to the tent a bit nervous. "What is it?"

"Full moon tonight"

"I see you're using that calendar I got you"

"Yes. So I've got two options. Either I turn and hide over night to sleep or I'm all up night"

Atlas looked around them. 

"I don't want you running off into the forest in a warzone wolf or no. You're just not sleeping tonight I guess. Sorry"

"Fine... I'll be having some coffee tomorrow then"

The two walked back into the tent Hunter with an annoyed face.

Edited by Firehearted

Aloha from sunny and/or rainy Hawaii!

Atlas: The fez-wearing adventurer

Hunter: The resident werewolf

Patches: The only doctor for the next ten miles

@@Firehearted,

Seeing the two walk out, Seth questioned what they might be taking about. As he waited for them to come back in, Seth went to his pack to pick up his ration pack. Opening the contents, he scowled at his meal: soy beef, curtsy of the Equestrian army. When the two walked back in, Seth looked to them.

"Not to seem nosy, but is there anything I should know? And..." He looked to the ration pack. "... anypony have any real food? The army supplied me with soy meat."

Hunter sat down on his bunk a frown plastered on his face. He was going to be up all night with no sleep. And it was going to be a long night. 

I suppose Atlas is right. If a patrol ran into me in the woods they'd just shoot me... Still. Up all night with no sleep and shipping out in the morning.

"It was nothing. I just needed to tell Atlas something" He dug into his bag pulling out his own food. He was going to need to some meat soon. Not now though. "All I've got is beans, eggs, and an apple" And soy meat... Fun. He pulled out the foodstuffs then zipped his back back up.

"Same here. It gives us energy at least. Want my apple? I don't know if wolves eat that but eh. I don't really need it. Be thankful we're not airborne. There stuck with K-Rations" Atlas began to munch on his beans.

@@Firehearted,

"I'll take you up on that apple." Seth said with a smile. "No offense to ponies, but you guys need to tone down your 'no meat' restrictions. Before the war, I got my meat from a griffon trader, however I had to pay a hefty premium just to get some decent steaks." He said with a light laugh. Sitting on his cot, decided to cut the cold act. It was only going to cause more tension between him and the others. "So, do you two have any plans for the night?"

"Our meat restrictions? They've lightened. How do you think they feed the Griffon battalions?" He tossed the apple to him. "Me? Plans? Sleep"

I got plans. Not sleeping. "None here. Why? Do you have something in mind?"Hunter already felt the weight of the moon fall on him. He felt trapped. Stuck in a cage. 

Seth stared, slack-jawed, at Atlas. "So... You're telling me for the past five years I have been paying a trader for what I could have at a market? Fuck me..." He said, gripping his head with both paws. "Hell...well I might just catch up on some reading. I'm not much of a sleeper." He informed the two as he searched in his footlocker. He pulled out a book, a notepad, and a pen. He then took a bite out of the apple, enjoying the lack of soy. He then looked up to the two. "Just to say, I might be up a while. I had a good sleep last night, so I probably pull an all mightier if I want and still be perky for battle tomorrow.

"Well it's not like most places sell meat. You can only really get it near the border at markets. Um... Did you say all night?" That ain't good.

"All night?" I can't have him up. It will look strange if I'm up all night... He bit his lip.

"You need sleep" ​Oh Celestia, I sound like my mother. "Who knows when we'll get the chance to sleep once we're in the field?"

Seth gave the two a questioning look before shrugging. "Wolves only need one night's sleep for three to four days. However, you do have a point." He replied, shrugging. Finishing the apple, he turned to the book. "If you are going to order me to sleep, at least let me get a chapter of my book in." He said, lying back on the bed and opening the book. The cover read 'Peace among Warriors'. With a light smile, the wolf began to read the wolven tale. "You two can hit the hay, I won't be long."

Hunter felt mad. Just angry. No reason why. He knew why he was. 

Let's play! 

No! You're staying right where you are.

Why? I want some fun! 

No. Keep quiet.

The wolf in him wanted out. It wanted to "play". He was strong though. He had kept it under control many more times. It was just going to pester him all night. 

He began his night routine. He pulled out his journal. He had gone though countless numbers of these over the years. Atlas had let him keep the full ones in his home in Ponyville. Even with the war they'd be fine. Atlas had his belongings there moved to a friend's in the Griffon Kingdom. Ever since he had left home he had kept a log of his travels. It was something to pass the time. It was something for him to look at later in life and reflect. He scribbled some things down and drew a moon on the top of the entry to signify a full moon that night. He stored it back in his pack.

"Yeah. Goodnight" Hunter grabbed his thin issued blanket and faked sleeping. 

Why can't we? 

I said no! We're staying right here!

Atlas pulled his rifle onto the bunk. He checked the barrel and made sure it was clean. Once he felt it was in order he did a quick double check of his bag.

"I've got everything. Night"

"Night." Seth called,not looking away from his book. He was right in the middle of the a sub-plot reveal. He couldn't look away, not now. As he read the pages, his eyes grew with anticipation for the conclusion.

(Sorry for the short reply, but it's not exactly easy writing a reply about reading.)

Atlas sleep soundly in his cot. That's all.

Hunter on the other hand didn't. He was alert. On guard. Waiting for prey. The call of the hunt was strong. He heard every sound in the quiet of night. Every sound was potential prey. The only thing keeping him from turning and bursting out of the tent was his own willpower. He had kept his inner wolf on a leash for years. He had lost it here and there but not tonight. He heard running. His ears perked up. It drew closer. The tent flap opened to their wall frame tent. He could't take it anymore. His head shot up and growled at the unidentified figure. 

The young private looked at Hunter eyes wide.

"W-wrong tent" He left a look of shock still on his face mumbling about getting drafted into an army of crazies. Hunter sighed and put his head back down. A long night indeed.

@@Firehearted

Seth looked up instantly at the private entering the tent, but his curiosity was further peeked at Hunter's reaction. Looking to the pony, he slowly put his book down and turned to him. "Hey Hunter, is there something you haven't told me about yourself?" He asked, looking to the pony. 

@@arkman575,

Hunter lifted his head again. He waited a moment. Seth was looking at him wierd.

Nice going, Hunter. Caught. Keep your cool and say nothing incriminating.

"What do you mean?" Hunter kept it calm. He had been drilled before. He knew what to do. Deny everything. Keep calm. Don't bark. 

Seth kept his gaze at Hunter. He knew something was up. "You just... Growled...at a pony." He replied, getting off the bed and walking to the tent entrance. Looking outside, he couldn't see the private. Looking back to Hunter, he walked up to him and placed a comforting paw on his shoulder. "Come on... I can tell something's up."

"Nothing's up!" He said a bit too angrily. His wolf was coming out again. "I... You must have just heard it. I didn't growl" I really hate it when they press. That was a terrible lie. "That's all... No need to dig" He frowned. This was not the time.

Atlas still asleep doesn't hear a thing.

Seth let go of the pony's shoulder and stepped a foot away. He continued to glare Hunter. "Really? That's what you are going with? Wolves have some of the fines hearing of any animal. I could hear a pony's conversation a mile away. Don't say you didn't growl like a dog at him." He informed the pony, his glare hardening.

Hunter was about to growl again but caught himself instead just showing his teeth for a moment. He's right. I would know. "Back off, friend" His voice was low and threatening. "I don't want any problems. You don't want to dig any deeper. Trust me. I'm irritable and not in the mood" He got up out of his cot and walked to the door. The moon was calling him. He shook of the feeling and turned around to face Seth. 

Seth stared at the pony for several seconds. He was done play. "Very well... Have it your way, I won't question you." He then proceeded to Atlas's bed and nudged the sleeping pony. "Sir, I request some info about your friend here." He said, hoping the pony was a peaceful. Isn't pony.

(edited)

"Ugh" Atlas woke up. "What?" He slowly came to his senses. "Hunter? What?" He got out of his cot. "Info?" What has that stallion done now? "Sure..." He began to leave the tent. "Follow me"

Hunter gave Atlas a look of worry. What would he say? Atlas gave him a knowing nod as he left telling him Atlas would keep his cover. 

"What do you want to know?" Atlas asked.

Edited by Firehearted

Seth fallowed the willing stallion out of the tent and into the dark camp. When they got some distance, he looked to the CO. "Well... I know I should respect you as a leader, and hunter as a comrade in arms. It's worse that I have to question the privacy that you two hold. But... I know Hunter is hiding something." He admitted, looking back to the tent. "He growled at me in the truck and at a private who wondered into the tent. He also... seems aggressive lately. In the truck, he was shaking, now he's advancing on me with hostility. I just wish to know, and please don't try to hide anything." He said, looking to the pony.

@@arkman575,

Hunter... Why? Just why?

"You have the right to know about Hunter. We are stuck in a war together. I'm going to be frank with you here. I basically know everything about Hunter from his darkest secrets to his deepest fears. I was at one point his only friend and the only one willing to keep him afloat"

Atlas went on about Hunter's past almost exactly like Hunter had said it to Seth.

"After Hunter left his village he wandered. He was homeless and still is really. We has been going across Equestria looking for work. I found him one day in the middle of Canterlot begging for a place to stay. I let him stay at a friend's I was with for the night. From there we became good friends. I leave the key to my house in Ponyville under the mat for him to stay there if he passes through the place. I've been giving money here and there to keep him afloat while he looks for long term work. Now for the specifics. He was shaking in the truck because he's scared. Simple as that. I've watched ponies, or Griffons rather, about to go off to fight. They're scared. He acts a bit aggressive sometimes I'll give you that. I'm going to say it's prefight jitters. It's stress and such. Give him some time. He'll lighten up"

Meanwhile...

Hunter zipped open his bag and looked hungrily at the soy meat. It was something. He began to munch away at it.

Not deer but it'll do.

Atlas began to walk back into the tent. "He's a good guy. Just a bit uptight" Atlas said with a smile. He pulled up the tent flap. His eyes went wide. Oh sweet Celestia, Hunter... Why? 

Hunter looked up in shock. "Um... Er..." His jaw went slack his mouth still full of food. His eyes were as wide as they could get and his face was as pail as a sheet.

Seth took in every word, feeling more sorry for the pony as he did. When atlas finished, Seth gave a slight smile. "You are an honorable pony. I wish I could say the same of myself. After questioning you both as I did... I only hope for your forgiveness." He said, fallowing the pony back to the tent. "I promise to be at your side, and to respect your and his privacy from now on. War is a stressful thing. I'm sorry you two have to see...it..." He faded out, looking in the tent as well. Seeing the soy-covered pony, Seth could tell there was more to the story.

"Is there a reason why your herbavore pony friend is finding a liking to fake meat?" He asked Atlas, not looking away from Hunter.

@@arkman575

"Um... Er... He's..." Atlas walked over to Hunter.

"Hi"

"Ya done messed up"

"Yeah"

"I can't bail you out anymore"

"I needed it"

"I thought you had it under control" Atlas gritted his teeth.

"I did but it's not my fault it's a full moon!" Hunter was a bit mad. 

Atlas slapped him. 

"Get ahold of yourself! I don't want you doing that thing in front of ponies"

"It's a full moon damnit! I had to do something! You know bread and apples don't cut it!" Hunter breathed heavily as was ready to pounce. 

"Hunter... Snap out of it! That thing in you has you acting like a... an animal!" Hunter stopped. He looked hurt. He was. 

An animal... It had gotten to him. He never acted like this unless he was under that damned curse's influence.

"I'm sorry" Hunter fell onto hi cot and put his hooves in his face. "I... It got me"

Atlas nodded. 

"I owe you an apology, Seth. I left you in the dark. Sit down cause we're going to be here a while. Hunter doesn't normally act like this. The full moon is getting to him" Atlas sighed. "I really don't know if you believe a word of this but it's all true... You see-"

"No. I'll tell him" Hunter stopped Atlas. Atlas nodded.

"The night my village was attacked years ago... It wasn't wolves. Werewolves attacked us. During the fight I got bitten. I became ill days later and I recovered. A few days after that... I woke up with strange eyes. That of a wolf's. I was a Lycan. From there it got worse. The village broke down my door looking for me then ran me out of town. That was the last time I saw my brothers. I began to wander. Inside me is a wolf fighting for control. My first week was the hardest. I was scared, confused, and alone. Every night I had to fight that wolf. Some I lost and woke up in a pool of blood from whatever animal I had hunted. Some I won. I just wandered. Every few nights I need to eat meat. It keeps the symptoms back. Keeps the wolf at bay" He looked down. "I've tried my best to keep it a secret but... I haven't always done so. I still sometimes act like a wolf. You've seen. I growl. Sometimes I bark. Other times I just sniff the air. I smelled you out in the truck.  I've even played fetch before" He stopped, ashamed. He began to sob softly. 

You're nothing but a monster. A freak.

"I found him in Canterlot for sure. I did offer him a place. The next morning I met him as he left and saw his eyes. He left town and I followed him. To me that didn't add up. Sure enough after following for long enough his hoof prints turned to paw prints. You know the rest. I've strived to keep his secret safe. Only me and now you know about this... He breaks down every once and a while. The whole thing is very stressful for him... All I ask out of you is you never say a word. Should you say something both of us will deny everything. Hunter will flee. I will keep my mouth shut. I know ponies who can get Hunter to safety. Once more I'm sorry. It's my fault he was found out. I pushed him to sign up and thus this. I'm sorry that you had to see this. Don't feel bad or anything. We're not here to guilt you out. Just to tell you the straight truth: He's a Lycan. That's all"

Atlas paused letting the whole thing sink in to Seth seeing if you would accept or reject the long speech.

Seth listened to what the two had to say, taking in every detail. He had an expression of sorry was the story got darker and darker. As it came to a close, a silence fell over the three. Finally, the wolf spoke. "Thank you for entrusting me with your condition. I'm sorry for forcing you to tell it." He said, looking to Hunter. "As far as secrecy goes, I promos to hold it. And when this war ends, I plan to go back to the wolven empire, my homeland. If you wish to join me... I would be more than willing to offer you safe passage and housing." Seth offered, extending a paw.

Hunter sat sulking and murmuring to himself. "A monster... Nothing but that..."

"Don't worry about him... He'll come out of it by morning. Like I said, he's a good guy when it's not a full moon. On the bright side of things we don't have to hide him eating anymore. We should get to bed"