Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP T-Shirt Printing, what would you want?

Skygunner

5 users have voted

1. 1. What size T-shirt (standard US sizing) do you wear?

• Small
    • Medium
    • Large
    • Extra Large
    • 2X
    • 3X

Hi again everypony.

What's this about?  Well simply put,  I've got my hooves on a T-shirt press,  my goal will be to sell T-shirts at conventions (mlp forums, want some custom t-shirts?)

Anyrate, without going too into detail,  I'd figure I'd ask....what lot of shirts would everypony want?

Funny ones?

Cannon ones?

Memes?

I already have a few designs down, but would love your input.

I also intend to do a OC on a shirt service.  Any digital picture of them can be put right on, easy peasy.  Have a few artist friends who would do pre-pose comissions too if you don't have a drawing of them,  just to make it all super streamlined.

So that's the plan, that's the question,   what all would you ponies want to wear?

EDIT - Quick note, I will be using my own designs, and the designs of an affiliated artist friend. So you can't just go on DA, get a cool image, and ask me to print it...sorry

Edited by Skygunner
  • Brohoof 5

(edited)

Right...I should have said that.   Using other peoples artwork,   not quite what I'm going to do. 

I can do something LIKE that,  "I want to believe"  and have a pony theme.  But, not going to just take images off line.    Thank you for the input!!!

Maybe for that one. something more like a cartoon person sorta being wrapped up by magical misty smoke with a pony in it,   as if it were a dream and "I want to believe"

neh?

Edited by Skygunner
  • Brohoof 1

I like somewhat big t-shirts with as big printings as possible, so they're nice and clear. And I think a professional design is important, avoid comic sans and all that, you know what I'm talking about. I for one won't be able to buy your t-shirts...but I want one so bad. I just wonder how I'll make/find one I like.

If any of you have any tips, I'd appreciate to hear them :fluttershy:

I just wonder how I'll make/find one I like.

You can buy special transfer paper for most printers which you can print onto, and then iron on to a plain t-shirt. They're unlikely to last for as long as a professionally printed t-shirt will, but you should be able to get a few dozen wears out of them.

Edited by Vital Spark
  • Brohoof 1

printing OCs is a great idea! As for designs, try to make it something people could be actually see themselves wearing, sometimes you can see an awesome shirt but you just can't really wear it in public, ie too loud or looks ridiculous.

You can buy special transfer paper for most printers which you can print onto, and then iron on to a plain t-shirt. They're unlikely to last for as long as a professionally printed t-shirt will, but you should be able to get a few dozen wears out of them.

Yes to a point.   indeed I'll be using transfer papers,so any design (and OC) can go on,  however some of the better quality ones, and more importantly an even heating T-shirt press.  You can for instance,  put a transfer on with a clothes iron,   it'll also be peeling off by the end of the day.

It's the same method used at a Scout Camp i work at to make our own T-shirt.  When pressed correctly,  the shirt will last several years -oldest one I have is from 2005,  and it sees regular wear.-  That being said,  things like cold water washes,  as well some things things on my end, will extend the life of the shirts longer as well.   

printing OCs is a great idea! As for designs, try to make it something people could be actually see themselves wearing, sometimes you can see an awesome shirt but you just can't really wear it in public, ie too loud or looks ridiculous.

That's the plan, I'm trying to keep it simple.   WeLoveFine has a great selection, so I don't intend to really do anything that you can just get there.  Because even though my shirts will be less expensive, I just can't compete.  So, no fluttershy FUS RHO DA,   or Doctor Whooves poking a muffin at Derpy,  

While I do feel the OC on a shirt will be popular,  and a lot of people have expressed interest, I'd still like to have a stock of T-shirts to sell on the spot.

So some sort of "Pony Interacting with a Human" shirt

-that was hard to phrase-

Would other people agree that's a sorta thing they would buy,  if it was adorable enough? 

• Brohoof 1

I'll be honest here.

If I were to have a MLP T-Shirt, I'd like it customized my way.

I have plenty of vectors and ideas for it and make it a one of a kind.

That is completely in my capabilities,  in fact,  people who have their own digital art,  could in theory be wearing it the same day. 

I should pick up a high quality scanner as well,   just in case they don't have a digital format.......

That is completely in my capabilities,  in fact,  people who have their own digital art,  could in theory be wearing it the same day. 

I should pick up a high quality scanner as well,   just in case they don't have a digital format.......

Some art on deviantart and here on the forums are so good that you could ask for permission to use their work to create a shirt and sell only a limited amount per year or month terms.

Just check out: http://mlpforums.com/topic/118146-princess-luna-portrait/#entry3395777

made by:  Vivid Visions

His art is very unique and breathtaking. I think he would love the idea for his work to be made into something you can wear and wear with pride and love. 

Now, are you gonna ask us here on the forums if we would be the hamsters for this? Like, requests.

On average, shirts are usually around 20 dollars. If wanting a high detailed shirt... 30-35 or even 40 dollars, but I wouldn't go anywhere higher than that.

This is just how I view it.

Some art on deviantart and here on the forums are so good that you could ask for permission to use their work to create a shirt and sell only a limited amount per year or month terms.

Just check out: http://mlpforums.com/topic/118146-princess-luna-portrait/#entry3395777

made by:  Vivid Visions

His art is very unique and breathtaking. I think he would love the idea for his work to be made into something you can wear and wear with pride and love. 

Now, are you gonna ask us here on the forums if we would be the hamsters for this? Like, requests.

On average, shirts are usually around 20 dollars. If wanting a high detailed shirt... 30-35 or even 40 dollars, but I wouldn't go anywhere higher than that.

This is just how I view it.

While it never hurts to ask,  I doubt many legitimate artists will allow me to reproduce and sell their work without some form or royalties. As stated before I won't just be using images that I find online.

So someone who wants a specific already done image, would have to get permission to use it.  My own designs are being done by an artist considerably better than me

http://bluekite-falls.deviantart.com/

So that is the quality of each design.  I do have a few guest artists tow whom wished to contribute.   This is really about finding out what sorta pre-made shirts I should bring.   My goal is to have a selection of images that can be ordered and printed either at the con, or shipped out immediately after.  -depends on volume really-

No worries though, quality is something I'm striving for,  both in design and process. I have some very lofty ambitions,  but they won't be realized if I produce junk.

As for cost, Well, My target price per shirt is 20 dollar (at this point I'll be able to do that),   a little bit more for custom ones, but I can never see me selling a T-shirt for more than 30. That's just absurd.  Maybe like Hoodies,  or stuff,  but T-shirts?   If they wanted a massive like,   mufti connecting design around the front, back, with custom bits on he sleeves as well,  yeh,  that's pushing upper levels because nomming my ink reserves. 

Would ponies want just pictures of their OCs?  I can also do sorta sports style shirts. With a name and image/number on the back,  something on the sleeve, and like...cutie mark on the front too.  

While it never hurts to ask,  I doubt many legitimate artists will allow me to reproduce and sell their work without some form or royalties. As stated before I won't just be using images that I find online.

So someone who wants a specific already done image, would have to get permission to use it.  My own designs are being done by an artist considerably better than me

http://bluekite-falls.deviantart.com/

So that is the quality of each design.  I do have a few guest artists tow whom wished to contribute.   This is really about finding out what sorta pre-made shirts I should bring.   My goal is to have a selection of images that can be ordered and printed either at the con, or shipped out immediately after.  -depends on volume really-

No worries though, quality is something I'm striving for,  both in design and process. I have some very lofty ambitions,  but they won't be realized if I produce junk.

As for cost, Well, My target price per shirt is 20 dollar (at this point I'll be able to do that),   a little bit more for custom ones, but I can never see me selling a T-shirt for more than 30. That's just absurd.  Maybe like Hoodies,  or stuff,  but T-shirts?   If they wanted a massive like,   mufti connecting design around the front, back, with custom bits on he sleeves as well,  yeh,  that's pushing upper levels because nomming my ink reserves. 

Would ponies want just pictures of their OCs?  I can also do sorta sports style shirts. With a name and image/number on the back,  something on the sleeve, and like...cutie mark on the front too.  

Possibly. But, I'm not the one to ask. Ask the community. Get opinions and ideas.

I assume that with permission from Deviantartists would be difficult, because they would want to get some of the profit of your work, or they would want you to pay them for the t-shirts.

I mean, I'd love to have lots of Deviantartists work on T-shirts.

I mean, I could just take a picture and slap it on a t-shirt at a store like "Walgreens" for 10-25 dollars. I don't do that obviously, that'd be rude to take someone's art and use it for merch without their consent, 

I think having your OC being drawn and put on a shirt is a great idea though! (As long as you know the person who's drawing you're OC for that specific reason.) That'd be really awesome! :3

Edited by PrincessWubsyButt~

I assume that with permission from Deviantartists would be difficult, because they would want to get some of the profit of your work, or they would want you to pay them for the t-shirts.

I mean, I'd love to have lots of Deviantartists work on T-shirts.

I mean, I could just take a picture and slap it on a t-shirt at a store like "Walgreens" for 10-25 dollars. I don't do that obviously, that'd be rude to take someone's art and use it for merch without their consent, 

I think having your OC being drawn and put on a shirt is a great idea though! (As long as you know the person who's drawing you're OC for that specific reason.) That'd be really awesome! :3

Again, I will not be asking artists I don' to use their art.   That's just not how I'm going to do it.

It's wrong,  flat out, so I'll edit the first post so ponies are aware of this.

The designs that will be put on are custom done by me, or my friend -linked above-   

As for OC drawings not done by me, or affiliated artist.  Usually the original artist has a list of what you can/can't do with the piece you commissioned.  I would hope everyone respects that, and if the original artist said can not reproduce...then they wouldn't hand me the picture expecting me to reproduce.

However, I also can't look up every single artist's TOS,  -and even if I could there are exceptions-, so unless it's a piece that strikes me as obviously stolen/non-permission. I can only assume that they have the right to reproduce it. 

I've been to many a con, and am quite up to date in the major artist players (not to mention that major artists will be at the con as well), Will keep an eye out for any foul play. 

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe for the people who want a punk hoodlum brony shirt. I was envisioning a brick wall and in colorful paint on the wall the words "where the herd at" and a silhouette of rainbow dash splattered on the wall

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe for the people who want a punk hoodlum brony shirt. I was envisioning a brick wall and in colorful paint on the wall the words "where the herd at" and a silhouette of rainbow dash splattered on the wall

Are there lots of punk bronies?

Are there lots of punk bronies?

well you don't need to be a punk to wear it. I was thinking of it being kinda comical and showing you are part of the herd, (play on words from where the hood at)