open Expedition into Uncharted Land

Nameless Knight

@@Firehearted,

"Sure I'll lead the way for a little while, mind you if you get killed following me I take no responsibilities." I laughed a little then marched off in a random direction.

Honestly in this mess I couldn't tell where I was and I doubt Atlas could either, so I just wondered off wherever my instincts told me to go. As we marched on for a little while the forest seemed to get thicker and thicker, almost to the point where I could barely see in front of my face. I looked back over my shoulder occasionally to make sure Atlas we still keeping up with me, if it weren't for his white coat I doubt I could have spotted him. I've read about forests like these, but never in my lifetime did I ever think I would be trying to venture through one myself. This is WAY less fun, then the books made it out to be. The whole time we were walking I felt as though something was watching me, I put that feeling aside though figuring it was just my nerves getting to me. After all, this was my first real "adventure" well outside the the "adventures" I had working in the guard. I shook my head, why does that keep popping up in my head. 

I look back towards Atlas and tried to stir up some conversation. "So what exactly are we looking for out here? You mentioned something about ruins before?" 

@,

"What are we looking for? Well ain't that the one million bit question? What we're looking for is anything some Canterlot snob would pay big bucks for" I couldn't help but express my hate for Canterlot folk. "They will pay obscene amounts of bits for a piece of broken poetry. Their envy for the stuff I bring 'um is almost as big as their egos. While others bring arrowheads I bring runes, books, and magical items. If I weren't a pegasus who just crawled out of the woods I might get some respect out of 'um... But they pay and with as many people I've got under my belt I need as much cash as I can get" Come to think of it if I really wanted I could retire. I had millions of bits form what I did just thrown in bank accounts across Equestria. Ah well.

"That reminds me. If you ANYTHING and I mean ANYTHING that looks magical DO NOT touch it. Don't even approach it. Shout for me and I'll deal with it. Just whatever you do, don't touch it" I was almost pleading by the end. "Those things can mess you up..."

Yeah... Mess you up... The pike. I stopped frozen. The blood. I seemed to stare out at nothing at all. The blood on my hooves. I snapped out of it. It was no telling how long I was like that. "This is why I travel alone" I muttered. I got back into pace with Cosmo and pretended as nothing had happened and hoped he had't noticed.

Aloha from sunny and/or rainy Hawaii!

Atlas: The fez-wearing adventurer

Hunter: The resident werewolf

Patches: The only doctor for the next ten miles

• 2 weeks later...
(sorry it took me so long, I had my first round of exams this semester)

I keep my cool as Atlas seems to go full on crazy for a moment, I must have hit a nerve or something by mistake. I don't know, never seen anyone go through a traumatic episode like that before.  I just shrugged it off as best as I could, though that didn't stop my fur from sticking up on the back of my neck. I could tell there was something off about that guy, some really off. We all have our secrets though, and judging by the wear and tear on his body he's been through hell and back. I'm going to avoid prying for now, seeing how we are in the middle of nowhere that seems to be the best option. If it becomes an issue I'll deal with it then, and only then. When it comes down to it I need this guy if I'm going to make it out here alive so it's in my best interest to just keep quiet, and do what I'm told.

There was a rather awkward silence after he started mumbling to himself, but I eventually try and break the awkward silence again. 

"I'll be sure to avoid any strange magical objects, it'll probably be best considering that my magic isn't.... well exactly normal." 

I look down at my feet for a little bit.  

"But anyway, I take it you've been on a lot of these types of adventures if you're giving me that kind of advice haven't you?"

((It's fine. School's more important))

@,

"Not normal? Like how?" I put my freak out behind me hoping it wouldn't come up again. "All I've seen is you have an invisibility cell, which is impressive, and that you don't have a spell to prevent seasickness" I smirked at his earlier mishaps on the ship.

"Adventures with dangerous artifacts or just adventures into the middle of nowhere... Both. I've handed more than my fair share of dangerous things that probably have some demon or something inside happy with eating my soul. Not to mention half the time I'm racing someone else who wants it just as much as I do. Not fun. But once again it pays and I need as many bits as I can get. As I said I've got a network and while I may be the head of it I play my part. I'm the money man, negotiator, and the one you call when you did something stupid and get yourself in trouble with X group/person.

Back to the topic. Yes, I've got a boatload of advise for anyone. Most of which is from personal experiences and screw ups. Truth be told I'm lucky to be alive right now with the amount of times I've almost gotten myself killed. The biggest piece of advise is follow your gut. Nine out of ten times your gut is right" 

@@Firehearted,

"Ha if only a spell like that were possible, I would have been all over that in a heart beat." I smirked. "Though it's not like i could cast it anyway. My magic is kinda like a broken faucet that either turns off completely or goes full blast with no in between, makes it really difficult to cast simple spells. I actually have a harder time levitating an object than I do making myself invisible believe it or not. My magic also naturally "unbalances itself" which gives me wicked headaches from time to time, it can be rather exhausting at times."

Exhausting is certainly a word for it, without my meds I couldn't imagine what it would be like. It's a good thing I packed quite a bit for that last job of mine, it seems i certainly needed them.

"Though it does have it's perks I guess, I mean I can learn more advanced magic way easier than most other unicorns. Then again simply using magic takes a toll on me after awhile, but don't worry as long as I don't overly exert myself I'll be fine." I nod reassuringly. "Does that about answer your question?"

"By the way I have to agree with you though, I can't even remember a time my gut has ever let me down." Well accept that one day, but that's ancient history now...

Edited by EternalNight

@,

"Yes, yes it does" Interesting to say the least. It shouldn't hinder much though. As long as he has his meds we're fine. "Hold" I said suddenly. I thought I saw something in the brush. I pulled out my sword and hacked at the underbrush to my side. Well, well, well.

"Bingo. Come on, Cosmo. Adventure awaits!" I stepped through newly cut "path", it was more of a clearing and that was a stretch. Trees, underbrush, and vines were everywhere. 

In front of my, once just out of our sight, stood a stone structure. The jungle had claimed the building back and it was clear it had been in this state for a long time.  It wasn't too tall. I'd say about fifteen feet high. Wasn't that big either. 30 by 30 maybe. It appeared to be an outpost but who knows? It could be anything in this unknown land.

I'd never seen anything like it. I'd never seen architecture and design anywhere else either.

"Amazing" I thought aloud. "Cosmo, do you see the lines along those walls? That could only be done by a master engraver of some kind. The way they stick out is amazing. Very hard for an ancient civilization" They went down the structure near the corners and doorways. They stuck out of the building a good half inch or more in an ornate fashion. "See how they are perfect right angles?" All across the building were right angles in lines and shapes. "They must have some basic understanding of mathematics if I'd have to guess. If they bothered to put this much work into a building out in the middle nowhere who knows what their cities were like, that is if they had cities" 

I probably would have gone on for much longer if I hadn't nearly tripped on a sword lying on the ground. "Sweet Celestia!" This was a real find. "Look at this. Tempered steel I believe. Its amazing it's still in one piece. The craftsmanship must have been that of the highest quality, better than ours for sure! Why it-..." I stopped.

"Sorry, I get like that when I'm digging up ancient knowledge. It's gotten me into trouble more than once I'll tell you that"

@@Firehearted,@,

(We got somebody new joining as a island inhabitant, just wanted to let you know.)

Chronos looked away and began to travel deeper into the forest. He didn't really care much about the others because he had his own goals and if their goals were similar to his, they would get in his way. He had his sword and shield ready so he could kill any other husks that try and kill him. He hoped the island wasn't too large.

What he didn't know he was about 192 miles from the center of the island and the ruins of castle Drage, where the treasure is said to be held.

He was looking around every time he heard a twig snap he would lift his shield and put his sword up ready to stab anything that came to close.

• Brohoof 1

"I had a name... forgot it many, centuries ago. It faded away like many things, but me. I'm still here, still here trying to find something. What is that something? I don't know, I forgot." -The Nameless Knight

@

The pristine white mare watched from the distance as the heavily armored stallion trudged through the dense forest. He wasn't the first foreigner to stumble through her territory and he probably wouldn't be the last, he would however be making her acquaintance very soon. Her tongue flicked over the tip of her fangs, a minor blip in an otherwise perfect disguise, no matter, it's not like he would notice unless she smiled too widely anyway. Her mouth watered, it'd been too long since the last time she had tasted real pony; small animals and fish just didn't cut it, and the husks.... eugh.

But none of that mattered right now, soon she would have the tin-can of a stallion right where she wanted him. He would keep her fed for more than a few months at least. Right now all she had to do was get him to follow her. One last check of her disguise told her that not a single silvery-white hair was out of place, not that they were actually there to begin with. Satisfied that the illusion was working properly, she began to creep up silently behind the focused stallion. Estimating the distance between them to be a little under 30 meters, she broke a stick with her hoof to make her presence known.

'I do hope he's curious, that always makes this easier' Nymphaea thought hopefully.

22d5c314-72de-42b0-842a-46e4dcf5ea37.jpg

Your very own Victorian-styling, airship-flying, super-sizing, brass-lining, quick-drying, detoxifying, low-pricing, newbie-knifing, over-driving, sometimes-hiding, unsurprising, ninja-fighting, perfect-timing, always-smiling, never-lying, best at writing, also rhyming automaton!

Little did Chronos expect, however, that he and his party were not the only explorers treading on the island.

A few miles away, deeper into the forest, an earth pony stood atop her third downed Husk that day. She grabbed her axe with her teeth and pulled it out of the creature's side, causing one last splurt of blood from the leftover gash.

She snorted bemusedly and continued on her way, returning the axe to its harness on her back. She came to this island hoping to find some challenge, but so far these zombies were more than just a little underwhelming. Maybe a local would pay her for getting rid of some of these beasts. She'd gone too long without a good strong drink, and that reminder made her a little grouchy.

Her ears perked up as she spotted something moving nearby. She watched its sihlouette walking up her direction; must be one of those husks again, but its hoofsteps are actually better coordinated and not just shambling around. And it looked like it had a weapon too! Finally, a challenge!

With a smirk, she slowly pulled her axe off her back, clenching it tight between her teeth, and lowered herself down to pounce in front of the unsuspecting creature.

img-31802-1-img-31802-1-img-31802-1-img-31802-1-img-31802-1-2m4ommo.jpg

Signature by @J.R.

Equestrian Empire's current Party Pony!

Chronos walked as he silently sung a war song to himself "...Axe's flash, broadswords swing, shining armor's piercing ring. Horses run with a polished shield, Fight those bastards til' they yield. Midnight mare and blood-red roan, Fight to keep this land your own. Sound the horn and call the cry, How many of them can we make die!" He then hummed and walked through the forest somewhat to the tempo, His armor clanked and he kept an eye out. He went from a hum to singing again "Dawn has broke, the time has come. Move your feet to the marching drum. We'll win the war and pay the toll, We'll fight as one in heart and soul!..." He felt like he was being watched, he stopped and readied his weapon. He turned and stabbed, he killed it, when he looked to see what it was.... It was a harmless rabbit. "it's just a rabbit..." He looked forward again continued humming a different tune, this one sounded like the anthem of the Equestrian Crusaders from hundreds of years back. 

"I had a name... forgot it many, centuries ago. It faded away like many things, but me. I'm still here, still here trying to find something. What is that something? I don't know, I forgot." -The Nameless Knight

@,

@@Unicorncob

Nymphaea huffed, she was too far away for him to take notice of her distraction. Frowning she began to move closer, then again getting too close might not be such a good idea either, as that rabbit had learned the hard way. The forest was beginning to thin and all the armor-clad stallion had to do was turn around to see her, pearly-white coat eerily reflecting the dim light that shone through the canopy. Suddenly something else caught her eye, the shadowy form of a second pony making it's way towards her prey with a rather dangerous looking ax. Nymphaea cursed her luck, the last thing she wanted to deal with was an interference. Praying the two would meet quickly and go their own ways she quickly began to retreat into the woods. She didn't notice the small animal burrow behind her until it was too late. Nymphaea let out a small shriek as her ankle twisted in the hole, a small shriek that was amplified as it echoed throughout the forest.

Your very own Victorian-styling, airship-flying, super-sizing, brass-lining, quick-drying, detoxifying, low-pricing, newbie-knifing, over-driving, sometimes-hiding, unsurprising, ninja-fighting, perfect-timing, always-smiling, never-lying, best at writing, also rhyming automaton!

Chronos heard the shriek and quickly turned around to see a white mare, she was clearly not a husk so he sheathed his sword and ran over to her. "Are you alright?" He wanted to be cautions but he couldn't help but make sure she was okay. But one thing came to mind 'what would a mare who doesn't seem to be armed be on this Celestia forsaken island?' He thought. He held out his hoof, offering to help her up. He looked down to her and put his shield on his back so if anything struck him in the back like a coward, he would survive and be able to turn around. 

@@HunterTSN

@

The mare, after being distracted by the sudden shriek, hissed a quiet swear through her teeth as her opportunity to strike was ruined. She'd be sure that her axe would cleave through that shield and give that monster a good run through!

...that was until she heard it talking. Zombies don't generally talk. Or wield weaponry, now that she thought about it.

Well, that was almost a silly mistake.

Though, perhaps this new pony would be friendly. His rather shiny armour was good evidence to that, though shiny armour doesn't always mean friendly. Still, she'd give him quite a battle should he turn out to be the violent type.

She carefully returned her axe to her back and stomped her way out into the open. She had to be at least an inch or two shorter than a regular mare her age.

"My apologies, fellow traveller," she called out, in a loud but not exactly tough voice, a peculiar accent on top of it, "I near mistook you for one of those shamblers wandering about!" 

Edited by Unicorncob

Signature by @J.R.

@,

@@Unicorncob,  

'Well that worked, even if it was rather unpleasant' Nymphaea thought as she pulled herself back up, pointedly ignoring the offered hoof as any contact would dissolve her disguise. There was a sharp pain in her back left leg. Quickly she began thinking of something to say, she had picked up a bit of the foreign language through other adventurers, not nearly enough to hold a conversation however. Fortunately, or perhaps unfortunately, she was cut off by the entrance of a rather boisterous mare. 'Now what do I do? I can't say anything or they'll know something's up by my dialect and I can't sneak away without shedding my disguise. I need to get to water.'

Edited by HunterTSN

Chronos turned to the new mare, quickly drawing his sword and turning around, "You almost thought I was a husk? Also who are you?!" He said he got his shield ready but lowered his sword slightly. He wondered where these two random mares came from. They must of been left here by some of the ships dropping off explorers. He then looked back to the first mare "Also who are you?"

@@HunterTSN

@

The mare puffed out her chest with pride and put a hoof on it.

"Tyra Shatterhoof, of the Shatterhoof Clan in the Frozen North!" She announced herself, a wide grin on her freckled face.

She trotted forward and spotted the other mare on the ground.

"Ah, so this is the screamer? Doesn't look like a-" She turned to Chronos, her head tilted slightly, "-'husk', did you call it?" Back to the other mare. "Looks like they didn't get you!"

Signature by @J.R.

@@Unicorncob,

@,  

'At least they don't expect anything yet' Nymphaea thought as she stepped away from the two armed ponies in front of her, trying not to wince as her injured hoof made contact with the earth. She could sense a small lake not far away, if she could somehow lure the two there she could take them both down easily. 'The stallion is paranoid, but the mare seems curious... gullible' she thought to herself as she continued inching away from the pair. Once there was a about a good pony-length iin between them she stopped and jerked her head in the universal gesture for follow. 

Edited by HunterTSN

@@Firehearted,

"Uh-I'm glad your excited and all, I mean this really quite breath taking." I stammer. "But I'm just a little concerned about those other ponies, I think they look a little upset... I think that's the word for it."

I point towards the lifeless looking bunch of ponies that seemed to just creep out of the woodwork, at least 6 of them in total. Their lifeless eyes seemingly gazing into my soul.

"I don't know about you, but I think we should be dealing with the locals first before we start admiring the stonework don't you?"

I try to make light of the situation, but my instincts knew that I had to keep my head on straight. These ponies were definitely out for blood, that much I could tell. However, I couldn't quite help but notice the rather dead look in their eyes. It sent shivers down my spine just looking at them. I quickly loaded my crossbow and prepped for the worst, for some reason I doubted I could talk things out. I shoot a glance over at Atlus.

"So, you feel like testing out that new sword of yours?"

Edited by EternalNight

@

"Ugh... Do we have to? I really want to look at this architecture" I was way too peachy right now. Celestia knows what are about to eat our faces or something and I'm making wisecracks. 

I threw the the sword I'd been examining at the nearest 'thing' and... Missed spectacularly... "You can't win them all" I grabbed my musket from by back, aimed, and fired. One of the things heads exploded into bits. "That's what I'm looking for!" 

I knew I didn't have time to reload another shot and pulled out my short sword. I'd probably have yelled something catchy and cool but I couldn't think of anything in two seconds so I just yelled and charged the nearest zombie thing. Once again, way too hyped. I gave him a nice buck in the jaw sending him a good few feet. He's down but not out. 

I was about to finish him until another attempted to jab me with a sword. "No, no, no" I twisted to meet his sword receiving a harsh clash of steel as our swords meet. We both had our swords in a parry and were looking each other straight in the eye. They're a bit creepy up close that's for sure.

*Groan* It opened its mouth and let out a soft-ish noise. "Ugh. You need some breath mints, man" I'd been in this situation many times. All I had to do was kick out his legs or push hard enough but that wasn't happening. If I do that it leaves both me and him off guard for a moment and I couldn't risk that with more of them around me.

"Little help, Cosmo!" I shouted through my sword in my teeth.

"I am Chronos Dial, the tenth, Member of the Equestrian Order of Knights" He said shaking Tyra's hoof before turning to the mare who has yet to tell her name before seeing her gesture. "I think she wants use to follow her, maybe she needs our help..." He said, wondering why the mare didn't just speak up.

@@HunterTSN

@

"I agree, she seems intent on us to follow her," Tyra nodded, and practically bounded over to the silent mare's side, "Do you require help, my quiet friend?" The friendly gesture, albeit totally serious on her part, must have looked ridiculous and/or adorable coming from such a short mare.

"You may ride on my back if you wish!" She invited, a wide grin on her face as she craned her neck around, "Though, you will have to be careful of my axe. Its blades are meant for monsters, evil ponies, and pointing in the face of those who would dare steal my cider."

Signature by @J.R.

@@Unicorncob,

@,

Nymphaea shied away from the forward mare, she hoped this one wouldn't get too touchy; that would send everything downhill very fast. Still the two ponies seemed to have taken the bait, now it was time to set the hook. Still favoring her bad hoof, Nymphaea darted further into the forest, glancing back to ensure that her meals we're following.

@@Firehearted,

It was almost insane just how quickly Atlus was able to change gears and attack those strange ponies. With the loud bang of his musket attracting the attention of the others, I bolted off off into the woodwork and quickly dashed up to a sturdy branch on a nearby tree for a vantage point. The creatures were so fixated on Atlus that I was able to fire off a shot at the creature furtherest in the back, killing it with a rather sloppy shot. I loaded another shot and saw Atlus and one of the strange ponies in a melee, I couldn't tell exactly what was going on but I could tell he was in trouble

"Little help here Cosmo," was all I needed to hear before I sent a bolt straight into that whatever it was' head. Admittedly an extremely lucky shot as I was aiming at its hooves, I should really adjust the sites on this... I loaded another bolt and took aim at a target waiting for Atlus to make another move before I fired.

@@Unicorncob,

"you are a strange mare..." He said

@@HunterTSN,

He noticed the silent mare run off.

Chronos followed her, even in his heavy armor he was able to move quickly. He almost tripped over a couple roots on the way but he managed to keep his balance. One thought came into his mind, what was he getting himself into.  

@

@@HunterTSN

Tyra cocked her head to the side with a lowered ear, like a confused dog, before taking pursuit of Chronos and the silent mare.

"Is it not common for a pony to offer help in these parts?" She asked, looking up at the stallion as she caught up to him, hopping over roots in the way. The little wings on her helmet flapped in the breeze.

Signature by @J.R.