Do Princess Gold Lily and Princess Sterling predate Princess Luna and Celestia? 

theponytheoristMM

Now, before I get people saying “But Luna and Celestia are the two original alicorns in the animated series!” or “But Luna and Celestia’s toys showed up first in the toyline release!” Let me just say- I KNOW. But hear me out, I think that as far as lore goes, there is a significant chunk of of missing when it comes to the Alicorn race, whether in cartoon, comic, or storybook canon. And yes, Generation 5 dipped into providing more lore through Opaline’s backstory but there is still much we don't really know about the Alicorns- specifically, the two g4 toyline exclusive Princesses- Gold Lily and Sterling. 

But here’s why I think that these two could actually predate both Celestia and Luna (and Opaline, even). But let’s take a look at Celestia and Luna for a second, Do you notice anything about them? Why is it that Celestia’s crown and breastplate are gold, while Luna’s are both black? Naturally, the colors fit with their color scheme, and gold for Celestia is typically one that is worn by royals….but how do you explain Luna’s black crown and breastplate? Why not silver to stand out better against her already dark color scheme? Have you ever wondered? Well, what if I were to tell you that she’s already wearing silver on her? 

I highly think that both Celestia and Luna’s crowns and breastplates are them paying tribute to the original ancestors- Princess Gold Lily and Princess Sterling. Ok, so the Gold on Celestia is obviously homage to Gold Lily, but what about Luna? That’s not silver- it’s black!!! Or is it? What if Luna’s attire was simply tarnished silver (which can produce a yellow, brown, BLACK, or grey coating)? 

I find it even more interesting upon doing a bit of digging, that Gold and Silver ( Sterling)  are considered to be “noble” metals….interestingly, along with Platinum (Princess Platinum. (though not an Alicorn, she is Unicorn royalty, with her father being King Bullion (and his name itself being a reference to Gold and Silver in bulk before coining)) Additionally, etymology of Sterling itself a derivation from a late Old English steorling (with, or like, a 'little star'), as some early Norman pennies were imprinted with a small star. This, once again seems as though Sterling predates Luna, the guardian of the night, and mover of the moon and stars. 

Gold Lily’s color is, well, gold. Yellow, actually- and yellow Lilly’s can symbolize joy, gratitude, and FRIENDSHIP. Lilly’s in general symbolize love, purity, rebirth, and fertility. This flower ties itself to the Greek Goddess, Hera. The Alicorn homeland is Skyros (possibly their original home before they all- or some of them moved from there and founded Canterlot in pre-Equestria times). Notably, this location is inspired by the actual island of Skyros in Greece, which also has its own breed of “Skyrian ponies”. 

So are Gold Lily and Sterling the original alicorns before Celestia and Luna stepped onto the scene? You be the judge…..

• Brohoof 1

Art Commissions: [status: OPEN] (DM me)

GoFundMe: https://gofund.me/73503f12

KoFi: https://ko-fi.com/manaminoriartGoFundMe:

I love alicorn theories. I'm really sad we didn't get more alicorn lore later on in the series after Twilight became one. I'd have thought we'd have gotten more information from a character so focused on pony history and her studies. I know that originally in the series, they weren't directly referred to as alicorns until Twilight eventually became one and Rarity used the word, I believe? Correct me if I'm wrong but in the show, I think even Cadence is referred to originally as a unicorn. 

• Brohoof 1

Untitled.jpg.fb121d0049b3faf6b769d02105f3a609.jpg

⋆.˚⟡ Know that your time is coming soon. As the sun rises, so does the moon.  As love finds a place in every heart: You are a princess, you'll play your part. ⋆.˚⟡