Raise this Barn - Crystal Slave Remix

Reuel(Crystal Slave)

I like this remix as far as remixes go but you lost a lot of country from the song which was part of the charm. To me the music is very pretty but it just doesn't fit the lyrics. Its a country song, not classical. By the way, I'm a huge fan...squee....

• Brohoof 1

I like this remix as far as remixes go but you lost a lot of country from the song which was part of the charm. To me the music is very pretty but it just doesn't fit the lyrics. Its a country song, not classical. By the way, I'm a huge fan...squee....

Well thanks for the feedback! :D And I know what you mean, the song was upbeat and energetic so doing a remix that's slower and sadder is taking a risk haha. And you're a fan? Awesome :)

It was pretty good, although I dont think the slow music in the background fit the lyrics. Its more of an exciting song. Better than I could do though :3 Nice work!

Haha, you're probably right, keep in mind that I'd only gotten two or so hours of sleep before making this so it all made sense during the composition process. ;)

Thanks for the input!

Not too bad. A few production issues, though.

The strings throughout are very quantized and sound very unnatural, lack warmth, and are a bit overpowering as well. Some dynamic swelling, velocity changes, and a little more attention around 500-700 Hz with a drop in overall volume would do those strings wonders.

That drone synth that kicks in around 0:33 sounds more percussive than anything, it's more buzz than any actual note, and it's kind of off-putting.

The guitar's lacking in attack entirely, and doesn't have much of that mid-high presence that's essential for a lead guitar part like this. It's especially noticable around 1:18 when you start strumming that string like crazy; there's almost no attack, none of that high-end sizzle that's essential for getting clarity out of those strokes. It ended up sounding like one long, blurry note.

As far as soundscape goes, I'm definitely feeling the mix in regards to where you put the percussion, the strings, the bass, and the vocals in the stereo field, but some of the lead melodic elements, namely the piano and guitar, are making the track as a whole kinda right-heavy. The ride's over there too, so I end up getting the feeling like I could be listening to this track with just my right can and not really missing anything. The way you panned the strings really fills out the stereo field, though. Good call on that.

As far as composition, this track excels. I love the chord progression you chose for the strings, it's ethereal and atmospheric, and the piano gives the track a sort of uplifting touch without breaking the mellow feel of the track. The variety of effects you gave to the vocals really did wonders to add variety to the mix as a whole, and helped to detract from an otherwise static stereo field the other instruments maintained. Despite the mellow, low-tempo approach, you've pulled off a surprisingly uplifting feel in this track from start to finish. Pretty good overall, especially considering the obstacle of sleep-dep. Just keep those production issues in mind in the future.  :)

• Brohoof 1

Not too bad. A few production issues, though.

The strings throughout are very quantized and sound very unnatural, lack warmth, and are a bit overpowering as well. Some dynamic swelling, velocity changes, and a little more attention around 500-700 Hz with a drop in overall volume would do those strings wonders.

That drone synth that kicks in around 0:33 sounds more percussive than anything, it's more buzz than any actual note, and it's kind of off-putting.

The guitar's lacking in attack entirely, and doesn't have much of that mid-high presence that's essential for a lead guitar part like this. It's especially noticable around 1:18 when you start strumming that string like crazy; there's almost no attack, none of that high-end sizzle that's essential for getting clarity out of those strokes. It ended up sounding like one long, blurry note.

As far as soundscape goes, I'm definitely feeling the mix in regards to where you put the percussion, the strings, the bass, and the vocals in the stereo field, but some of the lead melodic elements, namely the piano and guitar, are making the track as a whole kinda right-heavy. The ride's over there too, so I end up getting the feeling like I could be listening to this track with just my right can and not really missing anything. The way you panned the strings really fills out the stereo field, though. Good call on that.

As far as composition, this track excels. I love the chord progression you chose for the strings, it's ethereal and atmospheric, and the piano gives the track a sort of uplifting touch without breaking the mellow feel of the track. The variety of effects you gave to the vocals really did wonders to add variety to the mix as a whole, and helped to detract from an otherwise static stereo field the other instruments maintained. Despite the mellow, low-tempo approach, you've pulled off a surprisingly uplifting feel in this track from start to finish. Pretty good overall, especially considering the obstacle of sleep-dep. Just keep those production issues in mind in the future.  :)

Wow. This is by far the best critique I've gotten so far. Thank you so much! Mixing has been a weak area for me, so I'm really grateful for the tips you gave here. I'll save this, re-read through it a few times, and definitely put your advice into practice for my future songs. I really, really appreciate that you took the time to listen to and review everything. :)

Thanks! /)

By the way, I checked out your music, and it's awesome. Subscribed, and excited to see more songs from you soon (and take a peek at more of your old songs tomorrow),

Edited by Crystal Slave

Mixing has been a weak area for me

I know that feel, bro. I've gotten well-versed in production thanks to the OCR community, especially regarding guitar-driven music, so I'll keep an eye on your releases, and crit where I can when I have time. You have potential, dude, so keep at it. (\