Twilight vs Twilight

Guest DJ Hydrolicious

Guest DJ Hydrolicious

Do you think hasbro planned for twilight to be named after the book twilight and having twilight like books to be ironic.3

If I remember, they had the name Twilight before the books came out. Twilight was probably in one of the older generations (Again, I'm not entirely sure, but I think so)

img-2523742-6-ezimba11272886329200.jpg

"Live and die by the blade." - Talon, The Blade's Shadow (League Of Legends)

Temporary signature by DokiLoki (I hope I spelled that right)

Guest DJ Hydrolicious

If I remember, they had the name Twilight before the books came out. Twilight was probably in one of the older generations (Again, I'm not entirely sure, but I think so)

Yes I guess your right. I kind of worded that in weird way so bare with me. But you do have a point there. Well, was she out in the previous generations.

Nope, Twilight's original design was of the G1 pony who's name was just "Twilight".

And then she was supposed to be a G3 earth pony, Twilight Twinkle.

So Hasbro had a Twilight character before the Twilight books and movies came out. :P

• Brohoof 1

If you see me around, feel free to say hey!

Twilight was in previous generations before the Twilight books came out, and I'm sure that they wouldn't name Twilight to be named after a not-so-good book series.

As people have already stated, Twilight is based off of a G1 pony, which came before the crappy book/movie series. Also, Twilight is a word. It's not like you can own a word derpy_emoticon2.png

x3bej8.jpg

~Siggy made by Kitteh O Shy <3

In a society that has destroyed all adventure, the only adventure left is to destroy that society~

I'm a little surprise nobody's mentioned this, yet. Yes, Twilight was originally a G1 pony, simply called Twilight. In G3, the pony based off her was called Twilight Twinkle. However, the name Twilight Sparkle, specifically, wasn't used until G4. I've always been a little, "Uhhhh... I mean... really...?" about that specific name. What with all the *shudders* sparkly...ness... mrrmrmrmrmrrrFucking ignoring all the lore ever... Erm, sorry, tangent. Anyway, I think it's all coincidence. I assume that the book series never came to mind in naming Twilight Sparkle. Why would it? Rather contrived, if you ask me.

maudpie_zpsh8n7erzx.png You're the most basic of jokes.

Twilight Sparkle was around before the Twilight books were ever made. Twilight Sparkle was a G1 pony and G1 was around during the 80s if I remember correctly. So, Twilight Sparkle can be considered an OG by some.

Edited by SmartyPants

sig-16231.sig-16231.sig-16231.sig-16231.8I83u3P.png

IF is best girl.

No, I don't think the name Twilight Sparkle has anything to do with that other "Twilight."  It has to do with her symbolically representing the harmonizing principle (logos) that reconciles the duality and imbalance that had existed between Celestia and Luna.  It is Twilight's discovery of the magic of friendship that makes it possible for her to summon the Elements of Harmony and reconcile Celestia and Luna.  "Twilight" is the period that joins Day and Night, and her "sparkle" is the first (or last) stars, represented by her cutie mark.

If anything, Bella Swan is the anti-Twilight Sparkle.  Bella is a cypher with no real personality, interests, or goals of her own apart from her relationship to Cullen.  She's deliberately created as an empty vessel into which fans can pour themselves so they can vicariously experience being romanced by a sparkly vampire and a Native American werewolf.  Quick question!  What's the most awesome or likeable thing about Bella Swan? 

Anyone?  Anyone?

In contrast, Twilight Sparkle has wide-ranging intellectual interests and ambitions for mastering the arts of magic.  She has close relationships with her friends, and is not even in the same solar system with the "all about boys, boys, boys" attitude.  She has a great deal of power, her own power, plus the power and status (alicorn Princess) she earned through study, practice, and personal development under Celestia's tutelage.  Even when romance does appear in TS's life (as an aberration, in the non-canonical Equestria Girls), it never comes close to making her a Damsel like Bella.  Her priorities remain with her mission (get the crown back, stop Sunset, save Equestria, go home), and she remains the active heroine of the story, never the prize.

Unlike Bella, Twilight Sparkle fans can give plenty of reasons why they think she's "best pony."

As I understand it, Lauren Faust and the writing team for FiM intentionally created the show as a torpedo launched into the exhaust port of the kind of narrative-for-girls that the Twilight series represents.