Okay, today is day two of my blog, and I'm begining to get the hang of it. Today i decided to show you a costume a created almost a year ago, but it took me several mmonths to complete. It'a an Alice in Wonderland costume that I started with a simple concept sketch, never dreaming that I would actually end up creating the costume. At first, i took at least two weeks to plan everything out, I figured it wouldn't be to complicated, but as I planned, the costume became more and more elaborate. Once I was done planning, a close friend of mine and I went and picked the perfect fabrics for the job, we settled with a light blue cotton for the main costume and a strong black netting to use for the petticoat. The rest of the costume, suchas the slip and bloomers, were created out of scrap fabric that i alread possesed. I went back later to the fabric store because I figued that something was missing, and left the store with some lovely black lace. Then I was ready to start creating.
I had a basi pattern for the costume, but it wasn't qite what i wanted, so I fudged around a bit and ended up with a complete pattern that fitted my needs perfectly. I cut and pinned the pattern peices (which took me about an hour and a half), than cut the facbric (which took me another hour to do ), and finaly was ready to begin the very long process of sewing the costume.
The process of sewing started out smoothly, but I began to run into some problems with the tulle, it was my first time sewing tulle and it proved to be a total pain in the but, it took me three days just to get the petticoat done, which was very agrivating. Once I was done with the petticoat, I began to work on the skirt, which proved to be another problem, it was my first time sewing lace too, so I had some problems with that. I finaly had to sew the petticoat to the skirt which was the biggest problem by far.
While sewing th petticoat to the skirt i ran into the problem of sewing over too many layers of fabric at once, which proved to be a disaster to my sewing matchine (the needle broke), so one trip to the fabric store and more money out of my pocket later, I replaced the needle with what most people would call a denim needle (I was desperate to get through those layers of fabric ).
After the skirt and petticoat were completed, I mover on to the signiture "Alice" apron, I took and apron I already had, made some modifications, than hand embrodired a "A" on the bottom left hand corner. Once I was done with the apron I moved onto the shirt, which was very simple, nothing complicated at all, other than the lace and the elastic, but the shirt only took me five days to tackle.
Once I finished the costume I added some accesories to it, such as black gloves, a cuff bracelet, a watchkey necklace, a black lace choaker, some stripped stockings, some black shoes, a black hair bow, and a black corset. But I felt that wasn't enough, I added a prop stuffed animal of a white rabbit and that seemed to tie everything together, and vawla! The costume was complete.
I'm having problems uploading the photos from this particular costume, so I will add them at a later time with a written overview of the costume I just found from back when I showed a porfolio to a director and he hired me as an intern for costuming. I happen to still be interning there for those curious ponie out there.