Technology in Equestria

ggg-2

We've seen that technology in Equestria is......old fashioned. Lauren said that when something looks like it would need electricity, a unicorn mechanic enchanted it. (paraphrased but that's the gist) So.....how the hay do things like Spike's camera from the theme song work?

Don't be a nerd. Join the herd!

Well, we know that they have video games as seen in Hearts And Hooves Day.

Yeah.

There's actually a theory that Equestria is a post-apocalyptic Earth a la Adventure Time, and that all the tech is left over from the cataclysm.

• Brohoof 1

Sometimes it seems like they have no tech from the last two hundred years at all and then suddenly we see a colt playing videogames on an arcade machine.

My headcanon tells me that due to the fact that Pegasi can fly and Unicorns have magic and Earth ponies are very strong, they do not need any of the machinery we do. They have steam trains but they seem to be the most advanced vehicles they have. They also must have dams for producing electricity but then again, they probably do not need to produce much.

They seem to have certain tech you can find today but in other areas they are far behind.

• Brohoof 2

SIGNATURE_1.jpeg

I'm with the Derpy gentleman, necessity is the mother of invention, if the ponies have magic what is necessary changes dramatically.

Keep in mind also the technology is not a straight line, the Romans had the capability to make the steam engine but it was prohibitively expensive, and Da Vinci could have achieved flight with sturdier materials and a few prototypes.

twilight has access to all sorts of high tech electronic equipment in her lab as well...

I couldn't be happier with the fact that there are no laptops and no cell phone type gadgets. having books and libraries gave it a very nostalgic gummy bears formula.