Any Aviators Out Here?

Soctavia

So, I've been away for a while because I've been REALLY busy with work and training to get my pilots' license. 

I was just wondering, are there any others here that are like me?

Does anyone have an interest in learning to fly?

Is anyone actively training?

Does anyone already have their license?

(If so, what ratings do you have)

Just curious!

Socks make everything better.

I don't have an interest in piloting an airplane myself but one of my close friends likes to fly in gliding planes and another friend of mine is a Boeing 747 pilot. It's always interesting to hear where he flew this time. I know for him it's not interesting anymore but it's always fascinating to hear how he's flying from country to country, it must feel like a casual drive on the highway for him though.

As far as my own interest goes, I like playing a WW I and WW II flying simulator called Il-2 Sturmovik. I don't know how realistic it is, but most say it's very realistic. I have a fear of heights and have bad eyesight, so I could never become a pilot myself even if I wanted to.

• Brohoof 1

You play Il-2?! That game is AWESOME! It's really one of the most realistic sims out there. The graphics might be old and outdated but dang is it accurate! 

Are you on any of the Il-2 forums like Mission4Today, SAS1946, or FreeModding? 

Are you on any of the Il-2 forums like Mission4Today, SAS1946, or FreeModding? 

I used to frequent the Hyperlobby forums but they kinda died out last year. I used to be very into Il-2 but now I just play from time to time with or against friends or play against bots in the scenario editor. I really do love the game and I play it with the mod that unlocks all the extra airplanes you usually can only fly in the missions. I just like sitting in them, listening to the engines rattling about and seeing my fellow pilots engage in silly dogfights. I'd recommend any airplane enthusiast to play this in a heartbeat.

I'm not a pilot either, but I'm a big fan of aviation and rocketry.

One of the most glowing reviews of my DeviantArt My Little Pony works came from a [now friend] pilot out of Utah, who's been flying commercially for about 30 years. He also shares my artwork with his two kids, which was an adorable revelation.

I'd LOVE to fly a plane, and I plan on getting a lesson or two in the future - just for fun.

I have however used one of the flight simulators used for training pilots, as my cousin was a pilot/technician working on them. was able to get in for free. It was such a realistic experience...you'd forget that you were simply in a large cockpit on hydraulics. It was amazing <3

• Brohoof 2

Vh9PDd9.png

I hope some people get the joke ^^

Well, since I'm still 13, I can't really fly a plane, as it's both illegal and would almost certainly end in disaster. But I am in Air Cadets, if that counts for anything.

Hello! Gabe Newell here!

Signature removed, too confusing for new members.

Thanks, and have fun.

GabeN

I wasn't close to being an Aviator but I am a fighter jet avionics technician and therefore I know quite a bit and have been in the cockpit of many fighter planes, mostly in F-16's though, I know how to lift off and very basically operate one to fly the f-16 won't be impossible for me, problem is, I don't think i'll manage to land one.

Well, since I'm still 13, I can't really fly a plane, as it's both illegal and would almost certainly end in disaster. But I am in Air Cadets, if that counts for anything.

You can be any age to start flight training! 

As someone who is planning to pursue a masters in Aerospace engineering, your damn right I want to learn to fly.

Fixed and rotary wing for that matter.

tumblr_ophom39tgR1qcy62fo1_250.gif