Was the RariJack BFF inspired by Applejack and Glory from G1?

FirePuppy

Not much proof for this. Yes, that scene is cute and depicts the two interacting, but Applejack and Glory had virtually no chemistry in 'Rescue at Midnight Castle'. Have you seen the special in full to back this theory up?

As an owner of most of those gloriously cracktastic G1 comics as well, Applejack and Glory barely interacted in any of them either, so nope. Applejack and Rarity are often slapped together because they have opposing personalities, which the writers seem to believe constitutes good character chemistry. It's typically as simple as that in most shows, even those backed by a 25+year history such as FiM.

2 minutes ago, Them's Seeing Ponies said:

Applejack and Rarity are often slapped together because they have opposing personalities, which the writers seem to believe constitutes good character chemistry.

Not quite. The opposing personalities you're right about. But they pair them up often, because they bring in conflict far easier than similar personalities. Whether they're executed well or not depends on how the story is told.

• Brohoof 1

"Talent is a pursued interest." — Bob Ross

Pro-Brony articles: 1/2/3/4

16 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Not quite. The opposing personalities you're right about. But they pair them up often, because they bring in conflict far easier than similar personalities. Whether they're executed well or not depends on how the story is told.

Thanks for the correction. I was a little hasty there because I found most of the show's RariJack episodes to be awkward, mainly because they tend to exaggerate both Rarity and Applejack's personalities (particularly in the latter case). But as you said, that's the duty of the story at heart.

Maybe there will be an amazing RariJack episode in season 8 to prove the dynamic can really shine. Honestly, I hope there will be.

Edited by Them's Seeing Ponies

6 hours ago, Them's Seeing Ponies said:

Thanks for the correction. I was a little hasty there because I found most of the show's RariJack episodes to be awkward, mainly because they tend to exaggerate both Rarity and Applejack's personalities (particularly in the latter case). But as you said, that's the duty of the story at heart.

Maybe there will be an amazing RariJack episode in season 8 to prove the dynamic can really shine. Honestly, I hope there will be.

I hope NOT. I know they're somewhat "easy" to write, but there's only been like, two seasons without such an episode.