Discover Your Next Favorite LGBT+ Read: A Book List for Our Club!

Starlight Serenade

Hey Equestria United,

Whether you're looking to dive into a heartwarming romance, a thrilling mystery, or a mind-bending sci-fi adventure, I've got a book list that's perfect for our diverse community. These novels not only offer compelling stories but also celebrate the rich tapestry of LGBT+ experiences across different genres. Here are some of my recommendations:

For Romance Lovers:

• "The Song of Achilles" by Madeline Miller: Dive into a beautifully crafted retelling of Greek mythology that explores the love between Achilles and Patroclus.
  • "Call Me by Your Name" by André Aciman: Experience a tender coming-of-age romance set in the sun-drenched Italian countryside.
  • "Red, White & Royal Blue" by Casey McQuiston: Enjoy a witty and romantic tale of the First Son of the United States falling in love with a British prince.

For Fans of Historical Fiction:

• "Giovanni's Room" by James Baldwin: This classic novel takes you on a journey through 1950s Paris, exploring identity and forbidden love.
  • "The Price of Salt" by Patricia Highsmith: Also known as "Carol," this groundbreaking lesbian romance is a must-read for its portrayal of love in the 1950s.
  • "Fingersmith" by Sarah Waters: Get lost in a Victorian-era crime novel with a central lesbian relationship and lots of twists and turns.

For Sci-Fi & Fantasy Enthusiasts:

• "The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet" by Becky Chambers: Join a diverse crew on an intergalactic journey, with LGBT+ representation that feels natural and refreshing.
  • "Gideon the Ninth" by Tamsyn Muir: If you love dark fantasy with a side of necromancy and complex female relationships, this one’s for you.
  • "This Is How You Lose the Time War" by Amal El-Mohtar and Max Gladstone: A time-traveling love story between two rival agents in a beautifully written, poetic style.

For Mystery & Thriller Fans:

• "The Drowning Girl" by Caitlín R. Kiernan: A psychological horror novel that’s as haunting as it is thought-provoking, centered around a complex relationship between two women.
  • "The Last Place You Look" by Kristen Lepionka: Follow a bisexual private investigator as she unravels a tangled mystery in this gripping, hardboiled detective story.
  • "Lakewood" by Megan Giddings: A speculative thriller that delves into ethics, race, and gender in a chilling experimental setting.

For Literary Fiction Aficionados:

• "On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous" by Ocean Vuong: This poetic novel explores identity, love, and family through the lens of a Vietnamese-American son and his immigrant mother.
  • "A Little Life" by Hanya Yanagihara: A deeply emotional and intense novel about friendship, trauma, and love, focusing on the lives of four friends in New York.
  • "Less" by Andrew Sean Greer: A funny and heartwarming story about a middle-aged gay writer who embarks on a world tour to avoid his ex-boyfriend’s wedding.

For Speculative Fiction Buffs:

• "Middlegame" by Seanan McGuire: A dark and intricate novel about twins with extraordinary powers, exploring themes of gender and identity.
  • "An Unkindness of Ghosts" by Rivers Solomon: Set on a generation ship, this powerful sci-fi novel deals with themes of race, gender, and oppression in a richly imagined world.

These novels are more than just great reads; they’re windows into the many facets of LGBT+ life, offering representation and stories that resonate with our community. Whether you're looking to feel seen, understood, or simply entertained, there's something here for everyone.

Have a Recommendation?

If you’ve got a favorite LGBT+ novel that wasn’t mentioned here, we’d love to hear about it! Feel free to share your recommendations in the comments below so we can all expand our reading lists together.

Happy reading!

• Brohoof 1
  • smile 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to recommend 《The Sunbearer Trials》by Aiden Thomas; here's the summary:

Teo, the seventeen-year-old trans son of the goddess of birds, isn’t worried. As a Jade, it’s unlikely he’ll be chosen to compete in the Trials, and even if his best friend Niya competes, she’s a born-and-bred Gold semidiós with unparalleled abilities.

But for the first time in over a century, Sol chooses not one, but two Jade competitors: Teo – and Xio, the thirteen-year-old child of the god of bad luck. With the odds stacked against them, Teo is determined to get himself and his friends through the trials unscathed – for fame, glory, and their own survival.

• smile 1

18 minutes ago, hanguangjun said:

I'd like to recommend 《The Sunbearer Trials》by Aiden Thomas; here's the summary:

Teo, the seventeen-year-old trans son of the goddess of birds, isn’t worried. As a Jade, it’s unlikely he’ll be chosen to compete in the Trials, and even if his best friend Niya competes, she’s a born-and-bred Gold semidiós with unparalleled abilities.

But for the first time in over a century, Sol chooses not one, but two Jade competitors: Teo – and Xio, the thirteen-year-old child of the god of bad luck. With the odds stacked against them, Teo is determined to get himself and his friends through the trials unscathed – for fame, glory, and their own survival.

That sounds like an intriguing read! The premise of The Sunbearer Trials with its unique characters and high-stakes competition really caught my interest. I’ll definitely check it out as soon as I can!

• Brohoof 1