My signatures...

Raspberry32

(edited)

I thought I might as well share a few signatures I made.

I really like making them. It's fun to do, and it keeps me busy when I am bored.

But honestly, I am not too fond of the way/style I do signatures. So, I figured I would get your opinion and see what you think.

Please, if you have any sort of idea that can help me get better, then tell me. I ask that you give me constructive criticism. This is something I love doing, and I want to do it good.

I will only post three here.

Posted Image

Current signature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted Image

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted Image

Signature I made for somebody on the forum

Again, give me some idea what it is I am doing wrong. Are they too simple? Did I overdo it?

Edited by Raspberry32
  • Brohoof 2

The text seems overly basic in the first two, and I suggest different fonts, colors, and maybe even text outlines if you have things like Photoshop or GIMP to spice up text. Otherwise, they look pretty good.

(edited)

The text seems overly basic in the first two, and I suggest different fonts, colors, and maybe even text outlines if you have things like Photoshop or GIMP to spice up text. Otherwise, they look pretty good.

Or as I use, Paint.NET o3o .. And yeah I agree. You could maybe try different fonts, maybe outlines or colors. Another thing is that the RD vector on the 2nd one is low quality. Edited by Mr. Pillow
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I always heard "the simpler, the better" for text. But, I can see what you mean. When you say "different colors", I am guessing you mean the text as well.

I noted what you said, and I will start experimenting with fonts and colors. Thanks!

Or as I use, Paint.NET o3o .. And yeah I agree. You could maybe try different fonts, maybe outlines or colors. Another thing is that the RD vector on the 2nd one is low quality.

Again, noted what you said. As for the 2nd Rainbow Dash, I did use a tool on her that may have caused her to look a little bad. That was entirely my fault, and will try to avoid using the tool again.

Edited by Raspberry32

Or as I use, Paint.NET o3o .. And yeah I agree. You could maybe try different fonts, maybe outlines or colors. Another thing is that the RD vector on the 2nd one is low quality.

I use Paint.Net too, but Paint.Net doesn't have the ability to do text outlines as far as I'm aware, like Photoshop or GIMP ;)

I always heard "the simpler, the better" for text. But, I can see what you mean. When you say "different colors", I am guessing you mean the text as well.

I noted what you said, and I will start experimenting with fonts and colors. Thanks!

Simplicity is great, but there's a point where it looks bland. Not to everyone, but stock font in white on a fairly decent looking banner just looks like it's missing something to me personally ^^ No problem, look forward to more stuff from you, then.

So far, it seems the main problem is the fonts and text I use, and I see why you guys think that.

Another problem I seem to come across is the background. I can never decide whether I want it to be colors and design, or a screenshot from the show itself. I just start screwing around most of the time, and I eventually find something I am okay with, but it takes quite a bit of time.

Now this text is just ridiculously big, and does absolutely not fit with the signature at all but here is an example of what an edited text can look like

Posted Image

As said, this text is way too big and I have no idea why I took your sig hah, but you could go to youtube and search for some text editing tutorials :)

..lol this text is so big XD

I use Paint.Net too, but Paint.Net doesn't have the ability to do text outlines as far as I'm aware, like Photoshop or GIMP ;)

There is a certain plugin pack which adds ALOT of plugins. It is awesome and makes Paint.NET very handy :>

I have a download link for it in my signature tutorial thread http://mlpforums.com/topic/8630-signature-tutorial-for-beginners/

• Brohoof 2

Now this text is just ridiculously big, and does absolutely not fit with the signature at all but here is an example of what an edited text can look like

Posted Image

As said, this text is way too big and I have no idea why I took your sig hah, but you could go to youtube and search for some text editing tutorials :)

There is a certain plugin pack which adds ALOT of plugins. It is awesome and makes Paint.NET very handy :>

I have a download link for it in my signature tutorial thread http://mlpforums.com...-for-beginners/

Sweet. Well if it adds all that stuff I'll gladly update Paint.Net instead. GIMP I find to be slow and glitchy sometimes xP

(edited)

Posted Image

Haha, it is quite big. And, I know how to edit text, it's just I stuck with simpler things. I'm glad somebody pointed that out, though, or I would have never noticed.

As for fonts, I have been finding quite a bit, and they look pretty cool. Hopefully I can find some use for them.

(Also, I appreciate you taking some time to give me some sort of visualization.)

Edited by Raspberry32

Sweet. Well if it adds all that stuff I'll gladly update Paint.Net instead. GIMP I find to be slow and glitchy sometimes xP

Yeah I know. That's why I hate GIMP. It's name should be GLITCH. And with these plugins PDN is: post-1052-0-67651100-1329709777.gif

Yeah I know. That's why I hate GIMP. It's name should be GLITCH. And with these plugins PDN is:

"YOU DO NOT HAVE SO AND SO.EXE. TRY AGAIN, TROLOLOLOL" >.> Woo, guess I'm reinstalling Paint.Net too.

"YOU DO NOT HAVE SO AND SO.EXE. TRY AGAIN, TROLOLOLOL" >.> Woo, guess I'm reinstalling Paint.Net too.

Weird >__>

Tell me the names of the files, maybe I can help.

Reinstalled with the new version, and still it says 'Windows cannot find 'PaintDotNet.exe'

Go in PM, give me screenshots. I am sure I can help, I think I had the same problem actually.

(edited)

If I can point anything out, the signatures are poorly 'focused'. You have the characters you want to include, but at the same time, you have very distracting color schemes, especially with the RD sigs.

You have Daring-do and her earth-tone color scheme but the greens and blues in the background. What if we were to change the green to brown and the blue glow to a purple glow? I'm certain that the daring-do sig will be more coherent as you get some colors to appear in more places. The more colors you add into a piece, the more difficult it is to create a good color scheme as it gives you more balls to juggle. Not sure what to do with the RD sigs though as her color scheme slams you with a rainbow worth of colors to juggle.

You may also want to look at art composition, which is basically how you place the elements of what you're making. It's what separates boring photos from more exciting ones. If there's something you should know, you do NOT place things dead-center (which I avoided in my avatar by placing it slightly off-center).

Fun link: http://en.wikipedia..../Rule_of_thirds

Edited by PixMeister

If I can point anything out, the signatures are poorly 'focused'. You have the characters you want to include, but at the same time, you have very distracting color schemes, especially with the RD sigs.

You have Daring-do and her earth-tone color scheme but the greens and blues in the background. What if we were to change the green to brown and the blue glow to a purple glow? I'm certain that the daring-do sig will be more coherent as you get some colors to appear in more places. The more colors you add into a piece, the more difficult it is to create a good color scheme as it gives you more balls to juggle.

You know, I had a friend (he makes signatures pretty well...) tell me that using "color theory", such as complimentary, analogous, and triadic, is something I should keep in mind. Obviously, I didn't listen. I feel like what you are saying here is pretty similar to what he is talking about, right?

You may also want to look at art composition, which is basically how you place the elements of what you're making. It's what separates boring photos from more exciting ones. If there's something you should know, you do NOT place things dead-center (which I avoided in my avatar by placing it slightly off-center).

I have read about this before, and once again, I totally push it aside. I feel like it is kind of hard to do the Rule of thirds when the picture you are working with is around 600x100. But, I understand what you are saying.

I have noted what you said, and I will start experimenting with all of it. Thanks!

You know, I had a friend (he makes signatures pretty well...) tell me that using "color theory", such as complimentary, analogous, and triadic, is something I should keep in mind. Obviously, I didn't listen. I feel like what you are saying here is pretty similar to what he is talking about, right?

I'm sure that's also very useful to know, but I'm sure that wasn't what I was talking about. I'm suggesting that instead of adding new colors that doesn't exist in your piece, you can always try to use colors that you're already given. IMO, the rainbow colors used in your RD sigs are a little too different from the exact colors used on RD herself. You could see if trying to adjust the rainbows to match her rainbows could create something more coherent, but eh. Only one way to find out.

I have read about this before, and once again, I totally push it aside. I feel like it is kind of hard to do the Rule of thirds when the picture you are working with is around 600x100. But, I understand what you are saying.

I have noted what you said, and I will start experimenting with all of it. Thanks!

I know what you mean, considering that I also work with something that's also difficult. Can you imagine trying to apply rule of thirds to a portrait of a pony? Best I can do at the very least is place my subject slightly off-centerl.