Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Signature tutorial for beginners

Jokuc

(edited)

Paint.NET, GIMP, Photoshop? Well since you're a beginner you should start with Paint.NET.

1. DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL

1. Download and install Paint.NET

2. Download and install the plugins

3. Open up Paint.NET. It should look like this:

img-191090-1-x4jbl5.jpg

2. THE SIGNATURE

1. Hold down 'Ctrl + N'. This window should appear:

img-191090-2-zspaa9.jpg

2. Set the Width to 600 (where it says 1076 for me) and Height to 100 (where it says 807 for me). Make sure "Maintain aspect ratio" is unchecked and you have the settings to at "pixels/inch". Ignore the other options. Then press OK.

3. Now, let's say you want Rose on your background. Find a vector you need here or go to Google images and search for "my little pony rose vector". Rightclick and copy the image.

4. Go back to Paint.NET. Now, press 'Ctrl + N' again. This time, do NOT change any settings, just press OK. Now you should hopefully see your image with a transparent background. But my Rose is too big and I need to resize it. Press 'Ctrl + R' to open up the resize window.

img-191090-3-65uc92.jpg

Now, make sure you have the same settings as I do. (Exept Height and Widht which of course will not be the same). It's important that you now DO have "Maintain aspect ratio" checked.

img-191090-4-2w56ijo.jpg

Now go ahead and change the Height to a number somewhere between 200 and 100. (Leave the Width as it is, it will change automaticly to the size we need). But I'm just gonna go for 100. Then press OK.

5. Now press 'Ctrl + A' and then press 'Ctrl + C' to copy. Now go back to the 600x100 signature (top right corner) and press 'Ctrl + A' followed by 'Delete'. Now you should have a transparent background.

img-191090-5-24g99nc.jpg

Go to the Layer window and press "Add new layer". Rename it if you want to. Now press 'Ctrl + V' to paste in our Rose. Put her where you think she fits.

7. Now we need a background.
a) Search for a background you like on the internet. Then copy it. In "Layers" go to Background. Then 'Ctrl + V'. Resize it if you want and make sure the background fits.

img-191090-6-cool.png Make one of your own. Either you use the Gradient tool (press 'G') pick the colors you want and then use the left mouse button to drag where the fading should be. Or you make a background using effects. Go to Effects -> Render and then you pick the one you like. I'll go with "Mandelbrot Fractal" in this example. Change the settings and press OK.

img-191090-6-123bdpz.jpg

Now, from what I can see on this background, the effect doesn't cover up all transparency. So I have to make another layer. Press the "New Layer" button again. Now, select the new layer and use the blue "move down layer" button (to the night of new layer) to move the layer at the botton under "Background". Now when I've done this, I will use the gradient tool to cover up the rest.

img-191090-7-2zsvbm8.jpg

8. So now that we got a background and Rose on top of it, we need text. Once again, add another layer and put it at the top using the same blue arrows as before. Now, pick the color you want for the text and then hit 'T'. At the top, you can now change size, font etc. If you want to download new fonts go here. Download it, and then double click the font file. Now just press "Install" (Windows 7 (For Windows XP, go to C:WindowsFonts and put the font files in there.) and it should appear in the font list. Press anywhere on the image to put your text.

img-191090-8-6geefd.jpg

9. Now, my text is kinda hard to see with all the white, so I'll add an effect to it. Go to Effects -> Object -> Outline Object. Now edit the settings as you want them. Now, you can also add the effect "Drop Show" if needed.

img-191090-9-14wai8.jpg

I will select my "Rose" layer and add a small shadow to her, just because I think it looks cool.

10. Now I want a final effect. You can skip this if you want but I think it looks better sometimes by doing this. Once again, go to Effects -> Selection -> Bevel Selection. Now edit it as you want.

11. When you're done, press Save As... And pick .png. Press save and done!
http://mlpforums.com/uploads/post_images/img-191090-10-24ougkx.jpg

You can download the .PDN file HERE if you want to mess around with it in Paint.NET.

I hope this helped. I'll maybe make a more advanced tutorial if anypony wants http://mlpforums.com/uploads/post_images/img-191090-12-smile.png

- Jokuc

Edited by Artemis
  • Brohoof 33

Very clean guide, this will be helpful for everypony, for sure.

One question, I've been using GIMP for months, are you aware of any differences between it and Paint.net?

• Brohoof 2

A very helpful guide that will lead to many happy ponies and signatures! Though, your example implies that you think this isn't a good tutorial... that's not true! It is very good!

Very clean guide, this will be helpful for everypony, for sure.

One question, I've been using GIMP for months, are you aware of any differences between it and Paint.net?

GIMP is a more advanced and harder to use program in my opinion. And as they say, GIMP is for drawing and not for painting, while Paint.NET is.

A very helpful guide that will lead to many happy ponies and signatures! Though, your example implies that you think this isn't a good tutorial... that's not true! It is very good!

As one who don't know how to use any form of paint programs, I must say that this is really helpful, I'm making my own banner this instant! :)

Thanks for going though the trouble of making a tutorial :)

Thanks, I didn't know about that! I'll add it :)

As one who don't know how to use any form of paint programs, I must say that this is really helpful, I'm making my own banner this instant! :)

Thanks for going though the trouble of making a tutorial :)

This video fits so very well since I made this tutorial in the middle of the night.

(edited)

@Jokuc

Haha, Hilarious! Well, I'm glad somepony did it :) I'm soon done with my banner now - I think (I have a habit of when first doing something, I might have to overdo it a little bit... for instance when starting a game I have never played before, start in the hardest mode and work my way down... And well thanks to that I'm going through a tutorial on how to make a .gif as well)

Edited by Twichatwichy

Really easy tutorial.

And the results are awesome :D

I might try to do some signatures considering I have Photoshop and I just installed Paint.net :)

Thanks for making the awesome tutorial ;)

Thanks, the reason why I didn't use Photoshop in the tutorial is because since PS has so many features, it's easy to get confused. That's why I made the beginner tutorial with Paint.NET.

(edited)

Thanks, the reason why I didn't use Photoshop in the tutorial is because since PS has so many features, it's easy to get confused. That's why I made the beginner tutorial with Paint.NET.

Yeah, it took me two months to actually understand what the hay I was doing :P Edited by Holly Dash

Yeah, it took me two months to actually understand what the hay I was doing :P

Me too. That's why I tell beginners to try Paint.NET :)

By the way, did you make any signature following my tutorial?

(Or if you already understood how to use it, did you make any sig at all?)

Jokuc, you rock! This guide was very easy to follow and I was finally able to create my sig, it's the one I'm using now. Thanks again!

Thanks! I can see your signature turned out great! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is all very good, but I still don't understand how to actually make that me my signature!

This is all very good, but I still don't understand how to actually make that me my signature!

Oops, my bad. *...make that my signature!

(edited)

This is all very good, but I still don't understand how to actually make that my signature!

1. Save the signature you just made as a .png file.

2. Upload it somewhere, either on the forums by using our basic uploader or (as I prefare to do) upload it to an image hosting site. (I prefare to use http://imgur.com/ )

3. Copy the url and go to this link: http://mlpforums.com...&area=signature

4. Now press the button (with a tree on it) under the emoticon button. It should say "Image" now paste the url and you're done!

Edited by Jokuc

1. Save the signature you just made as a .png file.

2. Upload it somewhere, either on the forums by using our basic uploader or (as I prefare to do) upload it to an image hosting site. (I prefare to use http://imgur.com/ )

3. Copy the url and go to this link: http://mlpforums.com...&area=signature

4. Now press the button (with a tree on it) under the emoticon button. It should say "Image" now paste the url and you're done!

Ok. :D It turns out I need to make 5 posts before I can do that. :/

i wonder how well this would work with Pinta

http://pinta-project.com/, gonna try it.

Pinta is a Free/Open Source Application that's made to be similar to paint.net.

i like gimp though, it takes awhile to get used to but its pretty simple once you learn,

honestly i am not all that great at graphics stuff, but i have a decent knowledge on how to

get stuff done.