Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music (RESOLVED) Need iPod Classic tech advice (and thanks for the birthday hugs!)

FinalGamer

First off, I want to say thank you SO MUCH to everypony here who wished me happy birthday, I felt so touched by such a warmth from this community! <3 I love you all.

---------

Secondly, I need some help with this iPod Classic I got on my birthday which I asked for, because my iPod Nano as awesome as it is, is just too full now. So, after an hour of struggling with it I finally find out what stopped my iPod Classic from linking up to my PC.

It seems that my iPod Classic REALLY hates my external hard drive, a lovely 465GB piece where I back up all my important stuff (stories, music, ponies etc), and for some reason, whenever my external hard drive is plugged in, my iPod Classic will just pretend to not exist on the PC and be all huffy.

The big problem here is that ALL my music is on my external hard drive. But why not just move all of it to the main PC drive you ask?

Well I did, but now I got the NEW problem of having to find and locate every single missing file that exists on my iTunes already. You know on iTunes when a missing file gets that ! on it? Yeah, there's like 1141 songs of that.

So I need some help with either problem. EITHER help me find a way for my iPod Classic to "get along" with my external hard drive and not cancel out whenever both are plugged in.

OR help me find out how to auto-locate the 1141 songs in the duplicate folder I made of all my music on the main PC drive.

I SOMEHOW managed to make the iPod Nano auto-locate every song before when it asked me and I just pointed it to the right folder and it just searched everywhere in it and found them all, but I dunno HOW that even happened despite it being IMMENSELY helpful.

Sooooooo yeah. Can anyone help me out here? If not, no worries, but it'd save me some hassle because Apple are really not helpful on their support site unless it's an obvious fault ^ ^;

Edited by FinalGamer

To locate all your music files, you would do this:

>File

>Add Folder to Library

>Choose your duplicate music folder on your internal hard drive (Single click the duplicate folder because you don't want to open it, then click "Select folder")

Should be as simple as that, but I don't know what the exact problem is, because I can't see it for myself. :huh:

To locate all your music files, you would do this:

>File

>Add Folder to Library

>Choose your duplicate music folder on your internal hard drive (Single click the duplicate folder because you don't want to open it, then click "Select folder")

Should be as simple as that, but I don't know what the exact problem is, because I can't see it for myself. :huh:

Well, when I tried to do that, iTunes tried to add EVERYTHING in the folder to the iTunes, which is NOT what I want it to do, I just wanted to show it WHERE the folder was, so it can all go "OH, there's where all the stuff is, okay I'll find them all again ktxhbai".

Even playlists I made on winamp and I was like "NOOOOOO that's stupid DX"

Well, when I tried to do that, iTunes tried to add EVERYTHING in the folder to the iTunes, which is NOT what I want it to do, I just wanted to show it WHERE the folder was, so it can all go "OH, there's where all the stuff is, okay I'll find them all again ktxhbai".

Even playlists I made on winamp and I was like "NOOOOOO that's stupid DX"

I know whenever I just click, drag, and drop my files into my iTunes music library, it just simply makes a link, like you're kind of saying. :huh: And I thought that's what Add Folder to Library did as well, though I may be wrong. I haven't used iTunes in quite a while.

I know whenever I just click, drag, and drop my files into my iTunes music library, it just simply makes a link, like you're kind of saying. :huh: And I thought that's what Add Folder to Library did as well, though I may be wrong. I haven't used iTunes in quite a while.

Tell ya what I'll try it again and do exactly what you said, maybe I like double-clicked by accident or something. Thanks for replying though! :D

Okay so I did what you said, and it actually DID do what you said it would...problem is it would still go ahead and add EVERYTHING else into the iPod too, winamp playlists and all.

Thanks for the help though ^ ^ I really hope someone could help me on why my iPod Classic just refuses to share the same USB ports as my external hard drive though <.<

Thanks for the help though ^ ^ I really hope someone could help me on why my iPod Classic just refuses to share the same USB ports as my external hard drive though <.<

Because Apple has always caused problems for their customers, and they are inevitably trolling everyone. :mellow:

(edited)

Because Apple has always caused problems for their customers, and they are inevitably trolling everyone. :mellow:

Seriously, they are REALLY unhelpful, I do not get that at all : so uh, you know anyone else who might be able to help or fix these tech issues? Or anything else? Edited by FinalGamer

Seriously, they are REALLY unhelpful, I do not get that at all : so uh, you know anyone else who might be able to help or fix these tech issues? Or anything else?

Really, the only thing I can think of is uninstalling your USB drivers one by one, which I highly doubt will do anything. I don't know much about hardware. :(

Either way, it won't have any effect on your computer, so maybe go ahead and give it a shot? :wacko:

Directions to uninstalling your USB drivers if you don't know how. (Assuming you're on Windows)

>Start

>System

>Device Manager

Then you'll see your USB (Universal Serial Bus) folder-like thing at the bottom, which you'll have to open by clicking you know, that little arrow thingymajig. Then right click on all of the USB drives one by one, and click uninstall. They should all disappear after you uninstall them. Once they're all gone, restart your computer. Sorry for my horrible explaining of things, I'm a woman.

Like I said, really really doubt this'll work, but it doesn't take that long to do, and it's not like anything will get messed up.

Well if you moved all your music to your hard drive, then just delete your iTunes library (as in everything that's not recognized) and add the folder that contains your music to iTunes. Or, you could do it more manually by re adding every folder of music. To do this, you'd click on a song to play it, and when the error comes back, point it to the directory where your music is, and it will check that folder for missing songs. I can't check iTunes for stuff since I can't run it, but I think that'll work.