Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My theory on pony royalty

Forlong

Something that always bugged me about the show was the fact that the King and Queen are absent. If Celestia is in charge, shouldn't she be the Queen? Well, I came up with a theory that gives the writers a perfect loophole and a chance to make King and Queen toys. Those can be sold too, you know? Anyway, my theory is as follows...

Celestia and Luna are not citizens of Equestria. Prior to Discord's reign, Equestria allied itself with a powerful empire of alticorns. Celestia and Luna were sent by the king to aid Equestria in their fight against Discord. Once their work was finished, they stayed as viceroys to get Equestria back on its hooves (see what I did there?). They intended to leave once things were stable again, but the Equestrians begged them to stay, for they had come to adore and love the Princesses. The Alticorn King allowed Equestria to join his empire and left the governing of it to the sisters.

This would explain why they call Celestia "princess". A viceroy is known by the title "lord" or "lady", unless they have a superseding royal title.

However, I still can't work out how Cadence fits into all this. I don't care about Prince Blueblood, because the Alticorn King would no doubt order that great prat to be as far away from him as possible.

• Brohoof 4