Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Need help starting mlp art

khaine21x3

I have zero talent at drawing but I hope that there is some trick I could learn to improve really fast.I have no experience drawing before today and I've just started using artrage 3.5, I still have no idea how to perform most actions.

Lies, the fact you want to take up drawing means you don't have zero talent (i was in you're shoe just 3 months ago)

my advice would be to find some ponies/ poses you like and use them as a reference then when you comfortable try to draw a OC in that pose or you can just go nuts like i do :)

also tutorials could help.

Edited by PonyEcho

Lies, the fact you want to take up drawing means you don't have zero talent (i was in you're shoe just 3 months ago)

my advice would be to find some ponies/ poses you like and use them as a reference then when you comfortable try to draw a OC in that pose or you can just go nuts like i do :)

also tutorials could help.

I couldn't draw a circle on paper or with a tablet (for reals).I've never drawn anything before today so it might be a factor but I draw so bad that I couldn't even tell what I drew, I tried looking up tutorials on youtube but the shapes come out wayyyy off.

I couldn't draw a circle on paper or with a tablet (for reals).I've never drawn anything before today so it might be a factor but I draw so bad that I couldn't even tell what I drew, I tried looking up tutorials on youtube but the shapes come out wayyyy off.

...?????

How can't you draw a circle? If it means anything, I once read from a rather famous art textbook that if your handwriting is legible, then you have enough potential to draw. You just need to have the right mental approach.

Edited by Pix3M

...?????

How can't you draw a circle? If it means anything, I once read from a rather famous art textbook that if your handwriting is legible, then you have enough potential to draw. You just need to have the right mental approach.

When i draw a circle, it had flawed edges.I'm just that guy that's good at everything but can't draw to save his own life.So what is the right mental approach? do I practice by myself for hours? sign up for art lessons?

When i draw a circle, it had flawed edges.I'm just that guy that's good at everything but can't draw to save his own life.So what is the right mental approach? do I practice by myself for hours? sign up for art lessons?

The book I was talking about is called Drawing on the right side of the brain. It says that your brain has two halves: a right brain, and a left brain. Both hemispheres of the brain are focused to be good at different things. The left brain is bad with spatial reasoning. However, the right brain is good with it, and it's the side of the brain that should be used for drawing.

That's the mental approach I was actually suggesting; it helps to draw what something looks like, not what you think it looks like. When you draw, you should look at a picture and try to replicate it by eye. Trying to draw from memory will likely get you results you won't really like unless you've drawn from references enough to have great proportions in memory. You can use a grid to help replicate it more accurately and to get used to referencing. One trick you can try out to make sure yo're using the right side of the brain is referencing the picture upside-down - your left brain will make little sense of the picture, so the right brain takes charge instead. If you can't flip an image upside-down (via drawing from real life), you can try to draw the space around an object instead of drawing the object. Your left brain will not try to draw what it thinks something looks like because it cannot make any sense of 'the space around an object'.

And, I don't think flawed edges should be an issue at all. It's not like I can do better myself yet here I have made people jealous of what artistic merit I have myself. Better yet, drawing well doesn't have very much to do with how fine and precise your motor skills are as there ARE ways to work around this. Ultimately, making great art has much more to do with your sense of composition, sense of color, sense of proportions among other things, not motor skills.

Vector is one medium for computer art that doesn't need fancy motor skills as long as it's good enough to point and click where you want your mouse to go. In fact, people say they do worse with vector art with a tablet instead of a mouse. With a medium like that, you can't really use motor skills to hide behind with your own shortcomings with art.

Edited by Pix3M

It just doesn't work, I tried drawing with the pic on the side or even tracing but they just come out deformed.I think I lack the imagination and motor skills but I could probably make art with shaping tools.Maybe I'll try to get 1 of the many jobless artist on the streets to teach me someday.

It just doesn't work, I tried drawing with the pic on the side or even tracing but they just come out deformed.I think I lack the imagination and motor skills but I could probably make art with shaping tools.Maybe I'll try to get 1 of the many jobless artist on the streets to teach me someday.

Forgot to mention that you won't always get something spot-on. I wouldn't be surprised if absolutely perfect copies are very rare. For me, it seems to get better with practice.

(edited)

Drew my first pony(and first artwork ever) by hand using a tablet.My motor skills are improving but I still lack the imagination to come up with original stuff.

Posted Image

Edited by khaine21x3

...?????

I resent that My hand writing skills is total crap and I can still draw pretty well. After all I do write with my toes. Jk why must i say such odd things

Where I live at, people still draw using cloth and paint so it's really hard with no lessons available anywhere.The lack of experience with modern software, hardware, basic art and imagination are probably the biggest factors.

Here's a little advice from a newly formed fanart... person... thing:

-You need to have a LOT of patience. Good art doesn't draw itself, and rushing it will make it look worse.

-I know you've heard this everywhere, but practice makes perfect. I'm still practicing, and getting better each time i draw a new pony.

-Use lots of reference guides and your own originality.

I know that if you are even thinking about it, you must have some creativity. Just try to use it and have fun with it.

http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=draw+pony#/d4ss7vq

A guide I've found on dA by MelvisMD.

Here you go, did a quick tutorial on how I draw ponies if you're interested :P I didn't bother with doing lineart and colours this time but that's also pretty important XD Although this is for digital drawing, is can also apply to paper (except step 6.)

post-773-0-98673900-1350675422_thumb.jpg

That looks awfully complex, I find it hard to erase extra lines on digital.I've never drawn on a physical paper before but I might try it out someday.

That looks awfully complex, I find it hard to erase extra lines on digital.I've never drawn on a physical paper before but I might try it out someday.

Which part? XD I can explain in more detail if you want.

Which application do you use for your drawing? The only ones I'm familiar with is SAI and Photoshop.

Which part? XD I can explain in more detail if you want.

Which application do you use for your drawing? The only ones I'm familiar with is SAI and Photoshop.

Artrage 3.5

It doesn't have any curve tools or whatever shaping tools so I have to do everything by hand.I think I can't erase the extra lines from first 2 steps later on.

Artrage 3.5

It doesn't have any curve tools or whatever shaping tools so I have to do everything by hand.I think I can't erase the extra lines from first 2 steps later on.

It doesn't have layers? :o hmm layers are incredibly important for drawing, especially with colouring, separating your rough lines from your final lineart. You could try download this program: http://painttool-sai.en.softonic.com/

It's a pretty awesome program for drawing.

It doesn't have layers? :o hmm layers are incredibly important for drawing, especially with colouring, separating your rough lines from your final lineart. You could try download this program: http://painttool-sai.en.softonic.com/

It's a pretty awesome program for drawing.

It probably does but I have no idea where it is and I've never used layers either since I just started drawing 2 days ago.I don't get the concept of layers either, do you mean draw those circle things and pose lines then using a new page on top for the finalized drawing?

Well I taught my 8 year old sister to draw ponies by doing this

1- Start out by tracing pictures. It will get you used to how the ponies look.

2- Then copy pictures without tracing.

3- After that, start free drawing regular ponies

4- Finally, create mlp art as creatively as you can.

The whole process will take a while because of all the practice you will be doing. It's not exactly the quickest method but it works.

I hope I helped!

Well I taught my 8 year old sister to draw ponies by doing this

1- Start out by tracing pictures. It will get you used to how the ponies look.

2- Then copy pictures without tracing.

3- After that, start free drawing regular ponies

4- Finally, create mlp art as creatively as you can.

The whole process will take a while because of all the practice you will be doing. It's not exactly the quickest method but it works.

I hope I helped!

That's what I'm actually doing right now and I think that tracing/coloring ponies has improved my motor skills.I'll try the recommended methods to standardize body size ratio but I'll just use mathematical formula if I can't do it.

• Brohoof 1

It probably does but I have no idea where it is and I've never used layers either since I just started drawing 2 days ago.I don't get the concept of layers either, do you mean draw those circle things and pose lines then using a new page on top for the finalized drawing?

Okay, I hope this helps. Sorry it's so messy, it's 1am here so I'm pretty tired. I explained it the best I could but I may have left something out :P

post-773-0-72071600-1350688481_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Okay, I hope this helps. Sorry it's so messy, it's 1am here so I'm pretty tired. I explained it the best I could but I may have left something out :P

post-773-0-72071600-1350688481_thumb.jpg

That actually explains a lot.I've found the layer button and I'll be experimenting with it in the next few days.

Nice humanized RD art btw.

Edited by khaine21x3

That actually explains a lot.I've found the layer button and I'll be experimenting with it in the next few days.

Nice humanized RD art btw.

Yaaay :D I'm glad it helped you, it's a bit tough getting used to creating so many layers but it makes drawing 100 times easiers.

Thank you C:

Yaaay :D I'm glad it helped you, it's a bit tough getting used to creating so many layers but it makes drawing 100 times easiers.

Thank you C:

I have no idea what to do with that many layers, I'll just start with 2 or 3 for purposes I can imagine then maybe icrease it when I can think of other uses later on.