Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My Very First Pony Comic

Feather Gem

Do you use references for drawing this comic? This may seem perfectly show accurate to some but others may see a whole bunch of other stuff.

Plus silly scanner shenanigans making traditional works look kind of off is a reason why some people may consider going digital so they have more control of how their work is presented.

Do you use references for drawing this comic? This may seem perfectly show accurate to some but others may see a whole bunch of other stuff.

Plus silly scanner shenanigans making traditional works look kind of off is a reason why some people may consider going digital so they have more control of how their work is presented.

You can make things higher quality using digital methods but they usually take 200 times as long to create (4000 times if your pc is as old as the one Im currently using) I still think you cant beat a pencil and paper

Edited by mycarhasaMoustache

You can make things higher quality using digital methods but they usually take 200 times as long to create (4000 times if your pc is as old as the one Im currently using) I still think you cant beat a pencil and paper

200 times long? Surely I hope you're not referring to newer artists who haven't developed a bit of fluency with their own tools of their trade.

I like the idea and the planning. I guess I would prefer it if it were digitally colored. I know that probably isn't your style or whatever, I just always think digitally colored things look better.

Yes. I looked at the screen shot from the show, did a quick and simple sketch and then redrew it according to thus sketch in my art book. Except for Twilight of course. And the last panel.

x3 Oh well.

I would love to go digital. But I'd probably need a tablet. Which I rather not spend my small allowance on until I'm more into this art stuff. xD

I like the idea and the planning. I guess I would prefer it if it were digitally colored. I know that probably isn't your style or whatever, I just always think digitally colored things look better.

I agree with you.

I enjoy using my hands more though.

And I do not own a tablet which I figure is the best bet for digital. But one day, I hope I'll end up buying one and getting much better at all of this. x3

Yes. I looked at the screen shot from the show, did a quick and simple sketch and then redrew it according to thus sketch in my art book. Except for Twilight of course. And the last panel.

x3 Oh well.

I would love to go digital. But I'd probably need a tablet. Which I rather not spend my small allowance on until I'm more into this art stuff. xD

It may help to pay much closer attention to your refs if you're interested in making drawings with more likeness to the show. Notice your squar-ish shape of your eyes? FiM-styled eyes are actually slanted ovals.

It may help to pay much closer attention to your refs if you're interested in making drawings with more likeness to the show. Notice your squar-ish shape of your eyes? FiM-styled eyes are actually slanted ovals.

Yes. But I have my own style. Every now and then, I look at screen shots for help, but overall I have my own style.

Especially the eyes.

As much as I totally dig and support more traditional means when it comes to art (there's some magic with traditional methods that just can't be done with digital) you gotta be careful. Until somebody completely masters the anatomy of ponies, which to be honest not many truly have the anatomy down pat, pay very close attention to your references.

I've had one artist tell me that he uses the pony OC creator to pose the characters out and use that for a reference You might want to give that a shot because it's a lot more customizable than any simple screenshot.

By the way if this is your first pony comic then it looks fine. It could obviously be improved, which is ultimately the goal of any artist, but I've seen first attempts that look more like cthulus than ponies.

• Brohoof 1

Yes. But I have my own style. Every now and then, I look at screen shots for help, but overall I have my own style.

Especially the eyes.

I believe every aspect of one's style should be purposeful though. But, I suppose there's no use in trying to criticize an original style, rite?

Edited by Pix3M

Actually if this is your style then that's great, but be careful about that. In my old art class in high school, my "style" was more of really weird abstract things such as this thing I did right here:

Posted Image

There's nothing wrong with having a different style at all, in fact most smart people would say that a distinguishable style is great, but it's hard to offer tips for improvement unless it's known. Like, case in point, how in the name of god is somebody but me supposed to offer up tips for the image above?

I will give you a couple tips for your comic, though. First off all I think this kind of style would work even better if there's more contrast between the colors. Second, there is a small anatomy issue on the third panel, but in all honesty it took me a second to realize it so I'd say it's forgivable.

Keep at it! I haven't done any serious art in a loooong time and my current skills are suffering because of it. Don't go in that direction; just keep drawing and you could very well be the next Leonardo Da Vinci.

Actually if this is your style then that's great, but be careful about that. In my old art class in high school, my "style" was more of really weird abstract things such as this thing I did right here:

There's nothing wrong with having a different style at all, in fact most smart people would say that a distinguishable style is great, but it's hard to offer tips for improvement unless it's known. Like, case in point, how in the name of god is somebody but me supposed to offer up tips for the image above?

I will give you a couple tips for your comic, though. First off all I think this kind of style would work even better if there's more contrast between the colors. Second, there is a small anatomy issue on the third panel, but in all honesty it took me a second to realize it so I'd say it's forgivable.

Keep at it! I haven't done any serious art in a loooong time and my current skills are suffering because of it. Don't go in that direction; just keep drawing and you could very well be the next Leonardo Da Vinci.

I think a better example that's easier to relate was one I scratched up a while to poke fun at the idea of having an original pony style:

Posted Image

^As you can see, this is MY invented style of drawing horses and you cannot criticize it at all! :lol:

EDIT; dropbox is being slow so umm... I hope it loads soon -_-

Edited by Pix3M
  • Brohoof 1