Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

"Why we need Equestria Girls"

Pinkazoid

Soooo, I was going through the /mlp/ board on 4chan. A thread came up titled "Why we need Equestria Girls" with a screen cap of a post on Reddit explaining why Hasbro made Equestria girls.

It talks about the controversy between Hasbro and Mattel, and how Hasbro is the "underdog" because Dolls for girls are in demand, and Mattel has gained lead thanks to Barbie, Monster High, and American Girl. 

The post goes on and on, basically repeating the same thing over and over, and then it reaches the TL;DR which i quote

"TL:DR; Mattel owns Barbie, Monster High and American Girl. Hasbro wants their own line of dolls, so we're stuck with Equestria Girls. My hope is that the humanized versions of MLP are able to revitalize the stagnant genre of Highschool drama. Hopefully, this new series will cause people to change their perspectives, in a similar fashion to how Friendship is Magic redefined what cartoon shows for little girls could be."

What i got out of this is "Hasbro is getting butthurt by competition so it goes to fuck some shit up in an attempt to gain lead"

So after this article my opinion and perspective of EqG changed. I am for sure it was for the Toy Sales, it always was, MLP itself was made for the Toy Sales, does that make it bad? No. What does make it bad is the effort put into this. Making an animated movie isn't easy, and does require effort, and while i still haven't watched it (but i will watch it as soon as it airs) I honestly don't expect anything better than the series. Honestly, if you've seen me talk about how much i hated Season 3, well, I expect the movie to be worse than it, especially after those leaked images, eugh, that Celestia and Luna s:

I think it was simple cost-benefit calculation.

Risk with new stuff > Risk with redesigned stuff.

And now it's said "we" need Equestria Girls. I don't need it. I didn't ask for it. There are more tactics Hasbro could go for, but unfortunately they ignore the fact that they already have a franchise that becomes more popular every week. And that by the way it already is. Or was.

From a marketing standpoint is does make sense, Mattel is curb stomping Hasbro in the teen market and they want to change that but they could have gone about it a bit better than they actually did. Equestria Girls as a concept can of course work but the designs of the mane 6 while it is not a deal breaker for me personally just smacks of laziness to me and the preview reeked of cliche's.  Of course despite this I am still neutral as it really won't affect the show either way if it succeeds than Hasbro gets what they want by selling more toys and we get a decent spinoff if not than Hasbro will just have to try something else to tap into the teen market and could act as a cleanser for the less inspired ideas.

Monster High is a market that Hasbro needs to tap into. Pony is their flagship franchise right now, so It's only natural that it would be what they throw into the ring against Mattel.

Friendship is magic is so popular that Hasbro probably thinks making a movie about with humanized characters is in its best interest since the show has did so well. They probably assume a movie will blow monster high out of the water but it might not. I'm going to give the movie a chance but it could also be a complete and total disaster. There banking a lot on EG because it could make them or break them especially if it doesn't get good hits at the box office.

I think we have to hold fire untill we really see it and find out what it's like.

I know many didn't like S3 but it was very good, and more recently I looked at some other cartoons and they just don't have anything on MLP.

If they can make MLP and it be good, then lets give them a chance at making this, you never know it might be brilliant!

It's a well-written article, but the title is wrong: this wasn't why *we* need Equestria Girls, but why Hasbro apparently needs it (money).

If the point of this was to convince me why the fandom needs Equestria Girls, I wasn't convinced.

• Brohoof 1

It's a well-written article, but the title is wrong: this wasn't why *we* need Equestria Girls, but why Hasbro apparently needs it (money).

If the point of this was to convince me why the fandom needs Equestria Girls, I wasn't convinced.

It didn't convince me on why Hasbro needs more money, sure, if the company is going downhill and they might have to cease production of more toys so they don't go bankrupt, I'd understand, but they're in 2nd place, they're making EqG to get back in the lead.