Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private Rhapsody in Blue

Inactive01

Sterling continued to eat delightfully at the cake that continued to stare down at him. He too was feeling very full after all the cake he ate... he didn't care what his parents were going to say upon failing to eat the salad. He just wanted to have a good time... But as he was about to finish eating, Blue Note mentioned a present that she wanted to give to him and his family... Sterling looked up with a surprised look before he realized... HIS PRESENT! he forgot to give his present to Blue Note! Sterling got up aimlessly before tripping over onto the ground just as he was about to rush for his present to Blue Note...

"Oof!" Sterling grunted before he gave out a burp, showing just how full he was... What a good way to make himself look silly again in front of his best friend... Surely he would have gotten used to it by now?

"Are you okay?" Blue Note asked. "You bolted up in a hurry." Sterling was so excitable, but Blue Note noticed that that often lead to him going a little too fast. It was endearing, but she did not want him to seriously injure himself. It was a miracle he hadn't gotten a concussion by now. 

• Brohoof 1

Sterling shook his head after he tripped over himself again. He brushed himself off of any debris before giving a sheepish giggle.

"Well I was in a hurry.. because I wanted to give you a Hearth's Warming present too... I had it hidden somewhere in this closet so my parents wouldn't know I got a gift for you. I wanted to get something for them too, but I just couldn't find anything good enough for them..." Sterling explained with a chuckle before he headed into the family closet and took out a present wrapped with yellow and green wrapping with a red bow on top. Hopefully Blue Note loved this gift that he had for her... It wasn't much, but it was a box of small music items that he found as the semester progressed... He remembered meeting Sassy Sax when he reached to music store...

------

Flashback

It was just before exam period started and the day of his own orchestral concert. He knew Hearth's Warming was coming up and he desperately wanted to get something nice for Blue Note for Hearth's Warming... Sterling checked the premises carefully to see whether Blue Note was there... looked like the coast was clear, so Sterling walked in with more confidence. Now it was time to find the perfect Hearth's Warming gift.

Sassy Sax had spent the morning holed up the music library. Her music history paper was due on the first day of exam week, and she had a habit of waiting till the last minute to finish up her revisions. Her morning had been productive, but it left her feeling very mentally drained. She barely had an hour to each lunch before she had work. Alas, Manehatten Moods was not exempt from herds of Hearth's Warm shoppers. At least she enjoyed the customers (most of the time).

Music students mulled around, looking at records and Hearth's Warming carols. She greeted some of the ponies by name, enjoying the chance to catch-up. Other ponies she had never seen before, and were looking for gifts for the musical ponies in their lives. She was delighted to lend them a hoof in finding the perfect present.

A red pony opened the door while she was locating a book on Marezart for a dad of a music student at The Phillydelphia Conservatory. After giving him the book, she greeted the newcomer. "Hello, and welcome to Manehatten Moods! I'm Sassy Sax, how may I help you?"

Sterling looked around aimlessly at what he should give to Blue Note for Hearth's Warming... he wanted to get something special for Blue Note, or at the very least, something that Blue Note needed... one of the first things he thought was a new pack of Equestrian-class reeds that would last Blue Note the rest of the school year, since she was a clarinetist. At the same time, he also wondered if Blue Note could easily buy some of those herself and whether he should be getting something more special for her, since she was his best friend and crush... well, he didn't want to admit the latter.

Just when Sterling was about to pick out the reeds for inspection, the caretaker of Manehattan Moods suddenly greeted him out of the blue, making Sterling jump in surprise. After she had asked the question, Sterling responded with a sheepish chuckle,

"Ohhh! Hello! I... I was just looking for a really good Hearth's Warming gift for a close friend is all..." Sterling realized how silly he was sounding before he composed himself and continued, "You see, I want to get her something special... because she's my best friend... and I'm not sure what I should get her for Hearth's Warming."

"Ah, were you looking for something specific?" Sassy asked. She didn't recognize this pony, but he looked about the age to be a university student. "I'm sorry, I don't think I've seen you here before. Are you a student at U of M?" She always liked to get to know the U of M students and faculty in particular. It was a great way to meet ponies and make friends, not to mention it really helped her with customer service. 

Sterling noted Sassy's friendliness and internally thanked her for it. It wasn't every day that he met somepony as nice as she was in a music store. Sterling gave an unsure smile though as he was worried about the gift he wanted to give to Blue Note...

"Well, I'm a student at U of M, so you're right about that one. I'm just trying to find something nice for a friend of mine is all... She's a clarinetist, but I'm not sure what a perfect gift would be for a clarinetist..." Sterling wanted to make sure he didn't give too much away about Blue Note, since he didn't want anypony to start stalking him about his feelings, so he kept it as vague as possible without her asking him too many questions... Hopefully, Sassy wouldn't know who he was talking about.

"It's lovely to meet a fellow U of M student. What's your name?" she asked tranquilly.

"I get a lot of clarinetists in here. I might know them..." Sassy said. In fact, one of the had come in the other day! Blue Note had come looking for a gift for her friend, Sterling Crimson. She wanted to it to be special, because he was her very close friend. Sassy helped her dig through records to find just the perfect recording for him. She couldn't help but smile when she remembered the way Blue Note smiled when she finally found the gift. Blue Note didn't smile very much. 

"What were you thinking for your clarinet playing friend? A recording? Or maybe some clarinet accessories? Or some sheet music she'd love to play?" Sassy loved giving suggestions. 

Sterling thought that Sassy Sax was friendly enough. She had this aura about her that made herself very friendly and welcoming to everypony who trotted into the store. Eventually, she'd have to get his name anyway, so he decided to tell it in response before answering the rest of her questions.

"I'm Sterling Crimson. I just wanted to get either something that's really memorable, or a mix of things that would really help my friend with her clarinet playing." Hopefully he didn't give too much away to the salespony, and even if he did, he had hoped that it would be kept a secret...

Sassy couldn't help but grin, so this pony was Sterling Crimson. His clarinetist must be Blue Note. "Well, we could look through clarinet recordings and see if there's anything memorable. If you're looking to help her with playing, she'd probably appreciate clarinet reeds. I know I always put saxophone reeds on my wishlist. We have some nice clarinet solos too, if you think she'd like sheet music..." 

Sterling nodded thankfully for Sassy Sax. He was glad that he was going to get some good help picking out a memorable Christmas present for his best friend. Sterling then replied with a smile, realizing what he could do next...

"It would be really nice if I could get the best reeds and the most heart-warming sheet music for clarinet if you have it! Could I also add a recording of Marezart's Clarinet Concerto in A? It's my favourite clarinet concerto, and I know she'd love a recording by the legendary Sabine Marer!" Sterling knew that she was the most famous clarinetist in all of Equestria, and he knew she would enjoy the recording! Now if only they had it at Manehattan Moods...

"Do you know what type of reeds she typically uses?" Sassy asked. Blue Note always bought Vanhorsens in size 4, and if he didn't know, she could steer him in the right direction. "I think we have that recording; I can go get it for you. If you want clarinet sheet music, we have a few bins of it over there." She pointed her hoof at the corner of the store where all the sheet music was kept. A sign with each instrument's name was above it's designated bins. "Why don't you browse for a heart-warming piece while I get the recording?"

Sterling thought hard and long about the reeds she used, but he didn't know too much about clarinet parts and which reeds were the best... Sassy Sax seemed knowledgeable enough, so he replied with faith,

"I'm not sure which one she wants, but I'm sure you can give me some suggestions..." Sterling then trotted with Sassy Sax towards the clarinet sheet music where he could then search for a heart-warming piece... Now which one would be perfect for Blue Note to try...? Definitely one with a piano part... he'd love to play with Blue Note someday, even now! 

Sassy trotted to the records and started looking through the Marezart pieces. Eventually she found the record she was looking for. She grabbed it and also lifted a box of Vanhorsen 4s off the shelf. She trotted over to Sterling; he appeared to be intently looking through sheet music. "Found anything yet?" she asked. She held up the recording and the reeds. "Are these what you wanted?"

Sterling looked at the recording that Sassy Sax had ready for him, along with the box of Vanhorsen 4s. He nodded happily at Sassy Sax, since she found the things he needed, even the sheet music! It was the light-hearted finale from another clarinet concerto! He hummed the tune when he found it, and smiled giddily when he passed the sheet music to Sassy Sax!

"Well here it is! I found the sheet music too! How much will that be? And can I have it wrapped nicely too?" Sterling now got the gifts he wanted to give to Blue Note... now to make sure his parents didn't see it before Hearth's Warming... and especially note Blue Note!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYgNa2J_lKo

-------

Sterling got out from his closet with the gift he had in hand for Blue Note. Sterling smiled shyly before he spoke,

"Well Blue Note, when you offered to me your gift, I remembered that I had gotten something for you too! I hope you enjoy!" Sterling then picked up the gift that was perfectly wrapped for Blue Note... now to see if she would enjoy his gift, which he hoped.  

• Brohoof 1

Blue Note held a flat package, wrapped in piano-themed paper. "This is for you," she said, shyly smiling. She pushed it towards him, but it was clear he wanted her to open his present first.

"I wonder what these could be?" Blue Note asked. There were three separate packages; Blue Note felt overwhelmed by his generosity. She wished she could have afforded to get him at least one more present. She took the first present, a package in the shape of a rectangular prism. She carefully tore the paper away. "Vanhorsen size fours? How did you know?" she said, looking at Sterling with widened eyes. "Thank you!" She let out a giddy giggle. She wouldn't be in want of reeds for awhile! 

"You really shouldn't have gotten me anything else," she said, reaching for the second gift. She opened this one using her magic. It was a record. "Marezart! Wonderful, this will be great in my record collection!" She could never get enough clarinet music.

One last gift to open. She opened it, and saw sheet music. She said nothing, levitating it up to herself so she could look through it. She flipped through the pages, taking in the wonderful composition. 

"Thank you so much!" she said, giving Sterling a quick hug. "These are the best presents I've ever received." 

• Brohoof 1

Sterling's mind raced as Blue Note opened her gift for Hearth's Warming. What would she think of the gift? Would she love it as Sassy Sax suggested at the store? What would she do after seeing the gifts? Sterling had these questions and more as Blue Note asked about the gifts that were inside... as Blue Note opened the gifts, Sterling's smile grew wider and wider before she gave him a quick hug. Sterling felt squished by her warm hug, which left him blushing deeply... being hugged by his best friend... and crush... What a feeling for his tender little heart. 

Sterling shook his head in hopes of composing himself after he witnessed Blue Note's delight at receiving his gifts. Now Sterling wanted to see what Blue Note had in store for him... At this moment, Sterling decided to become playful and asked Blue Note with a gleeful giggle,

"Well Blue Note... I wonder what's inside here..." Sterling then giggled again as he slowly shook the gift like a little colt trying to see whether he got the toy he wanted for Hearth's Warming...

-----

At the Trottingon, Erlen and Spectro were already placed at their seats, and once Chemm had left Erlen and Spectro to look over their menus, Spectro decided that he wanted to play around with Erlen... After all, he was looking glum faced when she saw Chemm so mad...

"So Erlen... what do you think of Chemmy?" Spectro asked intently, hoping to tease Erlen a little bit... Erlen looked up and gave out a light blush before he took a defensive tone,

"Chemmy..? Well... I think she's ok... I don't really take her anger to heart if that's what you were thinking." Spectro lightly chuckled before he responded teasingly,

"Oh come on Erlen! I KNOW you love working with Chemm whenever you two get the chance! Even if she gets all mad at you for a simple mistake!" When Spectro mentioned the fact that Erlen and Chemm were often lab mates, Erlen gave out another blush before he composed himself.

"What's that supposed to mean?! Chemm's my lab partner because I didn't have another one! Sides, she's still in a relationship with Rocky!" Erlen responded louder than he normally would, and once he did, Spectro was quick to silence him,

"SHHHH!!! Chemm's serving us! You don't want her hearing that!" Spectro replied with a hushed tone as they returned to their menus to order their meals...

----

Chemm wasn't stupid. She waited for Erlen and Spectro to order their meals, and she heard what Erlen said about her. It pained her knowing that she broke up with Rocky, but at the same time, she just wanted to move on from him and his clingy attitude as soon as possible. She'd probably tell Erlen one way or another since she didn't want Rocky to somehow tell his side of the story first. She could feel anger growing in her when Erlen said that they were only lab partners because they didn't have anypony else. Sure she didn't have any other lab partners then, but at least Erlen didn't have to sound so disgusted about her! She grunted at the thought. She helped Erlen improve his lab skills, and he sounded so ungrateful! 

Once she reached that point in her train of thought, she quickly silenced herself. She couldn't afford to get mad again at another customer like she did with Sterling and his marefriend. At least, that's what she thought they were. Giving out a deep breath, Chemm trotted over to Spectro and Erlen's table to ask about drinks and whether the two stallions were ready to order...

Sassy Sax was nearly certain that between her and Blue Note, they had gone through almost all the records in the store. After Blue Note explained what kind of gift she wanted to get for Sterling, Sassy had diligently helped her comb through the records, finding pieces that might be what she was looking for. When she found something good, she asked Blue Note's opinion. Blue Note would add it as an option if she liked it. The two ponies dug through the record bins for quite some time. Sassy was glad that there weren't any other customers in yet. She'd have a lot of running around to do otherwise, and it was nice to be able to offer a large amount of help. 

"Is that all of them?" Blue Note asked after they were close to converging. 

"Just one more bin," Sassy said, pointing her wing at it. "Do the honors?" 

Blue Note almost wanted to skip over it; she had so many options already. But the perfect record could be in there, and she did not want to miss out on it. Sterling was worth it. She flipped through the titles rapidly, nothing caught her eye, until...

"What about this one?" Blue Note asked, levitating the record she noticed out of the bin. She knew the piece well, and it might just be perfect.

"Good eye! I think that's an original recording," Sassy said.

"Wait... by...?" Blue Note asked. If it really was... That would be the perfect gift! She scanned the packaging, and saw the name. "Wow, is this the last one? I'm surprised you still have one in stock."

"Must be your lucky day," Sassy said. "I think it's exactly what you wanted."

"Do you think Sterling will like it?" Blue Note asked nervously. She wanted to pick a good gift out for her friend. Something that would he would like but more than that. She also wanted it to be meaningful.

"He'll love it. It's got a great piano part, and I think he'll appreciate that solo at the beginning for more than just it's musical merits." She gave Blue Note a grin. Blue Note could only blush in response. 

Sassy took her to the counter to make the sale. "15 bits," she said.

Blue Note dug out the money. She was basically broke until payday came around in two days, but this was worth it.

----

"I got this for you," Blue Note said, pointing at the gift. "It's not quite as much as you got me, but I hope you still like it."

• Brohoof 1

Sterling excitedly opened up the gift that Blue Note gave to him soon after he gave his gift to her. Sterling couldn't wait to see what Blue Note had gotten for him this Hearth's Warming. He quickly ripped open the gift after briefly appreciating the piano gift wrapping. Once he opened, Sterling could only look at the recording with wonder and amazement... How in Equestria was Blue Note able to find a first edition recording on "Rhapsody in Blue"?! Sterling's smiles beamed more and more upwards before he jumped on Blue Note to give her the biggest hug he could ever give... it was the exact recording he wanted for so long, the one recording that proved so elusive to him!

"Oh thank you Blue Note! You've made this the best Hearth's Warming Day ever! Even after all that happened at the dinner table today!" Sterling exclaimed as he desired to hold on to Blue Note as tightly as he could...

----

Sterling's parents continued to sit up at their beds, wondering how this Hearth's Warming could end so terribly, particularly for Front Page. All he wanted for Hearth's Warming was just a nice relaxing day away from their overworked hours... And for his wife not to be so easily angered by him... It was like she couldn't forgive him after the couple were punished for crimes such as "sneaking on the boss illegally" when they had just accidentally peeked into his room when they saw their boss with a shady figure... 

Front Page got up from his bed and trotted downstairs to see how Sterling was doing... He felt so bad about ruining his Hearth's Warming, since he knew that Sterling wanted to have a memorable day with his friend Blue Note... when he peeked from the side of the wall at the bottom of the stairs... He could feel his tears... Sterling was hugging Blue Note as tightly as he could after he had opened Blue Note's gift... it reminded him of the day he gave Bubble Gum a month's supply of sweets for Hearth's Warming... She had jumped so gleefully at him and gave him a loving hug because of the heart he placed into it... 

Front Page quietly trotted back upstairs towards his bed... he had to get to work early tomorrow... If only he could go back to those days of happiness and joy...

• Brohoof 1

Blue Note reciprocated the hug. The gift had been just right after all. "Okay... having trouble breathing here," she said. She was beaming though; her gift giving efforts were a success! Sterling was so happy, which made her even happier. "Manehatten Moods is the most magical place in Equestria, I've decided." She was so glad that she'd stumbled into that music store right around when she started at U of M. But she was even more grateful to have met Sterling.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Sterling continued to hug Blue Note like it was the fluffiest pillow in his room. But when he heard Blue Note's plea to let go, Sterling quickly let his front hooves off her and drew back slightly. He then spoke apologetically,

"Sorry about that Blue Note... I just got so excited at the gift you gave me  that I just had to jump up and hug you..." Sterling stared at Blue Note anxiously afterwards, worried that Blue Note was all choked up because of his hug...

-----

Chemm trotted over to Erlen's table to see what they wanted for drinks. There wasn't any hitch until Erlen decided to open his big mouth and ask Chemm about her Hearth's Warming,

"How's your Hearth's Warming been so far? Spectro and I haven't done too much other than just play lots of video games and sing "The Heart Carol"!

"Well lucky you... My holiday was quite miserable working here all day... It's been rough. But I'll pull through." Chemm replied softly and sadly. She wasn't used to showing her lighter, sensitive self, but when she realized that she was beginning to go mushy again, Chemm scolded herself and quickly changed back into a professional, yet snappy mood...

"But enough about that. I've got to get your orders in, so what do you want?" Spectro took note of her softer side, while Erlen wasn't even aware she had a soft side in the first place! Both ponies then made their orders, the usual house salad they both said, and Chemm left their table to make their orders known...

"Erlen, don't you realize that Chemm's only got a softer side whenever you're around?" Spectro asked Erlen with a weird look on his face. "Chemm's normally a lot more snappy against other ponies, ESPECIALLY with Sterling's friends... US!" Spectro continued, forgetting that Chemm was just nearby...

"What are you talking about? And shush! Even if that's true, what's that supposed to mean?" Erlen retorted with an annoyed look. It was annoying how Spectro wanted to take a little detail and make it so significant... if only he could stop...

"Erlen, it probably means she's comforted around you... And perhaps she likes you Erlen..." Spectro replied teasingly with air kisses. "I can just imagine you two being so cute together! Chemm would be the one setting you straight, and you'd be the one who calms her down when she's stressed! It's perfect!" Spectro continued to rave on about this potential development, to which Erlen gave out a deep sigh... Why woudn't Spectro learn to just leave well enough alone...?

Edited by Sterling Crimson
  • Brohoof 1

"Don't worry too much," she said, giving him a quick squeeze. "I'm glad you like the gift!" A conspiratorial grin appeared on her face. "So where do you keep your record player? And which should we listen to first?" Getting lost in music together seemed like the perfect way to end the evening. 

Sterling felt the squeeze from Blue Note, which left him blushing even more. He could only dream of moments like these happening to him, and for a moment, Sterling really thought he was dreaming. It was like he left the world and entered a new sphere of life... where all was ideal and all was beautiful in his eyes... When Blue Note let go, she had become even more cheerful and giddy... it was a side that he had never seen until now. 

"Well, why not we hear your piece first? Let's hear "Rhapsody in Blue", the original recording by Blue Rhapsody himself!" Sterling cheered gleefully in response to Blue Note's question... if only Blue Note kept this expression more often...

Blue Note smiled as Sterling put Rhapsody in Blue on. It really had been the right gift. She had always an appreciation for Gershwhinny, and she was glad her best friend shared it. The clarinet solo was her favorite part, naturally, but the whole piece appealed to her. She decided that it was Manehatten in musical form. 

• Brohoof 1

Sterling smiled happily as he trotted back to the couch that faced the window of their apartment house... and all he did was just lie down at the couch, making sure to give some room to Blue Note as an offer for her to sit by him. Now for him to listen to Gershwhinny play some "Rhapsody in Blue" and sit on the couch in peace... That's all he wanted now to end what was a delightful Hearth's Warming...