Deviantart Question

Bronyette

I was thinking of starting commissions on Deviantart but I wasn't sure how many points it would go for. I will be doing colored pony head shots, much like the Derpy one I created down below.

If anyone knows or has a good idea please post below.  :catface:

post-11323-0-12002900-1375829079_thumb.png

post-11323-0-12002900-1375829079_thumb.png

v7PAGdl.png

Click on the Banner for more info!

I'd say that a good place to start would be in the low end of 1-10 points per portrait but the best route would to be free initially. The reason why is so you can build a reputation and a following. Once word gets around that you do portrait shots for a low (or free) price and your popularity begins to rise then you can start adding/adjusting the price tag as demand increases. 

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬­­­­­­­▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

If you do not GO after what you want, you'll never have it. If you do not ASK, the answer will always be NO.

If you do not step froward, you'll always be in the same place. 

Want to learn how to draw ponies? Visit Dave's Pony Artist Resources thread to stop fearing the pencil and start loving it!

Make sure when you make stuff that you try to get it in deviant group folders, derpibooru, knowyourmeme. No one will commission you if they don't know someone is doing commissions. I know it sounds like of scumbag-y, but good networking and quality are key to getting a lot of commissions.

• Brohoof 1

mcphersonsound.jpg

I'd say that a good place to start would be in the low end of 1-10 points per portrait but the best route would to be free initially. The reason why is so you can build a reputation and a following. Once word gets around that you do portrait shots for a low (or free) price and your popularity begins to rise then you can start adding/adjusting the price tag as demand increases.

Hmm... Good idea. :3 I really didn't think of that. But what would be a good max price for something like this? I will start off really really cheap, but over time I'd hate to overprice. Also thanks for the post, I appreciate it.

v7PAGdl.png

Click on the Banner for more info!

Hmm... Good idea. :3 I really didn't think of that. But what would be a good max price for something like this? I will start off really really cheap, but over time I'd hate to overprice. Also thanks for the post, I appreciate it.

It's hard to say because every artist has a wide arrange of prices. The most common thing individuals do is charge based upon what's put into the image. This isn't 100% accurate but the average price for a full on image is $5-$10 for linework, +$5-$15 for flats, +$5-$10 for values, +$10-$20 for background, etc. etc. ya got the picture. So if I wanted a fully rendered image with all the works it can cost anywhere between $25-$75. For portrait images I'd most likely cut the prices in half to even a fourth of what full body images would be. 

In other words I'd like to say that $5-$10 would be in the high ranges just for a portrait/avatar initially. Remember though, individuals are paying you for your skills, as you become more proficient you can easily raise portrait/avatar prices to the same as a full on image.  It's crazy but I've seen individuals pay as high as $100 just for a portrait because the artist was not only widely skilled but incredibly popular. The question you'll need to ask yourself as time goes on is "how valued is my work and is the demand high enough to where I can raise prices and still come out on top?

• Brohoof 1

If you do not GO after what you want, you'll never have it. If you do not ASK, the answer will always be NO.

If you do not step froward, you'll always be in the same place. 

Want to learn how to draw ponies? Visit Dave's Pony Artist Resources thread to stop fearing the pencil and start loving it!