Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Reg Price

RelicGreens

60 dollars for a single day of attendance seems pretty high to me, I know its BABScon first year and all but other conventions can be attended for the whole duration for this price and given that this con is being help run by some of the same people who do Further Confusion, I'm slightly off put by this. FC itself is a four day con and full reg for FC 2014 was like 50 or 60 bucks for the whole thing. So... why exactly are they charging such high prices for this con?

Edited by RelicGreens

At the door it's $60 for a Saturday one-day pass, $50 for a Friday or Sunday 1 day pass, but only $70 for all three days which isn't too unreasonable.  You have to remember that a lot of the costs of the con are the same whether people stay 1 or 3 days, so it makes sense that you don't save a ton of money by not coming all three days.  First of all, if you rent a hotel room on Saturday, you're going to keep someone from staying there for the whole weekend.  They still have to print the con materials for you even if you only stay one day.  And Saturday being the fullest day, it's going to make all the most important lines one person longer.  Plus they have to have staff members there to handle registration for two days when only a small number of people will be coming on Saturday or Sunday.  Plus the Con has to pay for a convention center big enough to handle the busiest day of the con, so if less people are there on Friday or Sunday, they're paying for empty space.  And remember that all the prices were $10 cheaper during pre-registration. (or even cheaper than that if you used one of the many pre-registration coupons).

The point is, the con is designed for people to come all three days, and while it's annoying that one day passes are high, you can't exactly blame the convention for that since they don't really save any money by only having you there for one day.  This con has more guests than any other pony con ever has, and that doesn't come free.

• Brohoof 2

It reeks of greed to me.

Considering it's being run by a non-profit and the con staff is unpaid, I highly doubt that...

Bronycon costs $50 for a day pass during pre-registration and $80 for the weekend.  Last year, Las Pegasus charged $85 at the door for weekend tickets and didn't have enough money to pay for the venue or the VIP's.  If you can't afford to go, or don't think it's worth the price that's fine.  A lot of people don't go to cons because of the cost.  But you can't criticize the convention and accuse the staff of doing it 'for greed'.

And just because the organization that ran Further Confusion is involved doesn't mean that it's going to be the same cost.  First of all, Anthropomorphic Arts and Education isn't running Babscon.  They provided some start-up revenue for the con and have some of the same staff, but they aren't running it.  Plus Further Confusion was held at the Marriott and this is at the Hyatt Regency.  That's a much more expensive and larger convention space.  Mariott is 21,000 square feet of convention space, and Hyatt is 52,000 square feet.  Plus I looked and there were only a few VIP guests at Further Confusion and there are over 20 coming to babscon.  Plus those guests are mainly from Canada and the convention has to pay for international travel for those guests.

The bottom line is that the convention is, if anything, cheaper than it should have been.  You can't jump to conclusions and attack the con staff just because it was a few dollars cheaper at another convention.

Edited by Simon
  • Brohoof 1

Just think- a park hopper at Disneyland is $137 now for one day.  Look at the Babscon schedule- it is packed with great things to do, Saturday it is open for 15 hours and they have a lot less revenue to do these things with than the folks at Disney.  The Disney price is greed.  Babscon is trying to run a successful con.

• Brohoof 1