Artist status?

Dilarus

I would like to suggest that resident artists who earn the forum money through commissions get something similar to donator status and access to a larger signature.

The reason I say this is that, as an artist for this forum I'm not really happy to pay more from my earned commission money to donate and get access to the benefits when the site already takes a cut from me.

I remind you that we do earn money to keep the forum going, and this would be a little acknowledgement that would mean a lot.

• Brohoof 5

whilst I see the point, what I'm suggesting doesn't seem like much to ask. Personally I'd use the extra signature space to include a banner that links to my commission shop, which will increase revenue generated for the forum. But there we're having a cyclical argument I suppose.

I believe I had a similar discussion with Feld0 about one year ago. If my memory serves me, and sometimes it doesn't, it was along the lines of:

We host a forum that advertises for you, thus you owe a portion of the money for that advertising.

Kinda like an eBay mentality. So instead of it being considered a donation, it is more like, "if you scratch my back." I have to agree with that policy. While I think 15% is a bit steep, and doesn't take into consideration higher dollar commissions, it really is a form of advertising on someone else's site.

Incentive, not donation.

This being said! Since the percentage is so high, I think we should have a special colored titled that links to our shop. Since we are essentially paying for the advertising, perhaps we should receive a non-obtrusive title and link for our efforts. Something along the lines of 'resident artist' as a link under our avatar.

At the same time, the artists are advertising them too. Artist's are like trees. They are big and boring... No, I'm kidding. They are like trees in the way that they branch out to many different sites and places in the community. If their main store is here, on MLPForums, they bring people to the site. What brought me here is fellow artist Ruhsiu, my friend bought from him on the forums, then told me that I'd like it. I came here... and here I am! To be completely honest, artists do quite fine advertising on deviantart. I have never seen a good commissions artist struggle to find buyers, honestly FROM WHAT I EXPERIENCED, they get overwhelmed because people always want art!

Now it'd be different if the artists were asking for something huge, like less of their profits being taken, or moderator status (Something stupid), but I think if a commissions artist has sold a fair amount of commissions, the site should pay them back in return. That payment would be something very simple too, giving them donator's status does not take anymore money out of the website.

I dont quite agree that people would see artist status as a cheap and easy alternative to donating, as it takes skill, time, dedication and if your work isnt good people won't commission you. I wanted to drive when I was younger but had to wait until I was old enough for the lessons, what I didn't do was move to a country I was old enough to drive in.

Also, is donator status something people would go to the lengths you describe to attain? I asked of this because it would be nice to have a little badge or something neat, I don't see it as a way of lording my position over other members with. I don't use my position as artist to assert authority on any issues that don't pertain to my art. But then I don't assume to understand the dynamics of forums so it could be something people would walk over hot coals to get for all I know.

• Brohoof 1

I dont quite agree that people would see artist status as a cheap and easy alternative to donating, as it takes skill, time, dedication and if your work isnt good people won't commission you. I wanted to drive when I was younger but had to wait until I was old enough for the lessons, what I didn't do was move to a country I was old enough to drive in.

Also, is donator status something people would go to the lengths you describe to attain? I asked of this because it would be nice to have a little badge or something neat, I don't see it as a way of lording my position over other members with. I don't use my position as artist to assert authority on any issues that don't pertain to my art. But then I don't assume to understand the dynamics of forums so it could be something people would walk over hot coals to get for all I know.

Yes, I said exactly that bellow 

but I think if a commissions artist has sold a fair amount of commissions, the site should pay them back in return. That payment would be something very simple too, giving them donator's status does not take anymore money out of the website.

People can't just flood the commissions thread, because they would have to have people actually buy from them. Plus, this donator status would also not be THAT big of a deal that people would flood for it. This would just be a fair thing to give artists for their hard work.

Since we are essentially paying for the advertising, perhaps we should receive a non-obtrusive title and link for our efforts. Something along the lines of 'resident artist' as a link under our avatar.

I don't agree with this. Titles are reserved for Staff members only. Having a title like this would confuse other users into thinking you're staff.

I don't agree with this. Titles are reserved for Staff members only. Having a title like this would confuse other users into thinking you're staff.

btScnbk.png

The guide for what each name means is directly below the pool of names. The confusion could be easily avoided because of the placement of the indicators for what each title means.

I feel a bit disconcerted if that's the staff's general consensus when it comes to having member titles, to be honest. That's a bit elitist, especially since one would be able to just look right beside the pool of names and see who's staff and who isn't. It wouldn't cause confusion in the slightest, and many other forums offer titles to non-staff based on an achievement or something or other the member did as well :confused:

That wouldn't be the problem at all.

My personal opinion on the matter is that titles shouldn't be given to commission shop owners because of the simple fact more people would start creating shops just to get the member title, which, in turn would create an over-saturation of shops, with many of them being dead-end. I bought a commission on this site over 3 months ago that I still haven't received, and I feel pretty much outed of $15 that I could've spent on something else. That'd be happening a lot more because a commission shop requires dedication, and when you have an over-saturation of shops, not everyone will be dedicated and have time to dish out a quality piece of artwork that they paid real money for, leading to more situations like mine, since most shops seem to force the customer to pay before they receive the artwork - which is understandable.

It's hard for me to think otherwise in terms of titles, given I've spoken to many people who want to be staff on MLPF just for the cool titles and benefits, and it's pretty obvious that's the case. Opening up those opportunities to people who aren't ready essentially will just can use a landslide of problems unless the commission shop sub-forums are heavily moderated, which, in all likelihood, isn't a possibility.

I think the advertising space fee is a bit inflated, however, which is a bit unfair - you have to give nearly 1/5 of the profit you make for advertising space. I think that every time someone purchases a commission from an artist on this site, that artist should at least get donor status for X amount of days, since the advertising fee is sky-high. That's really the most fair option on both sides, in my personal opinion.

• Brohoof 2

The idea could be maneuvered in many ways. It doesn't have to be a title, hell, it doesn't have to exist. It is simply an attempt to meet half way with those that want a donor title and receive compensation.

I understand, and I think you guys should get something.

img-2999969-1-btScnbk.png

The guide for what each name means is directly below the pool of names. The confusion could be easily avoided because of the placement of the indicators for what each title means.

I feel a bit disconcerted if that's the staff's general consensus when it comes to having member titles, to be honest. That's a bit elitist, especially since one would be able to just look right beside the pool of names and see who's staff and who isn't. It wouldn't cause confusion in the slightest, and many other forums offer titles to non-staff based on an achievement or something or other the member did as well :confused:

That wouldn't be the problem at all.

I'm sorry if that came off as elitist. I was talking about the bolded titles, because those are for Staff members. Something like what I have would be okay. If I was a new member or even just a member that didn't know about the added title and I saw a bolded green title saying "artist", I would automatically think "Oh! Staff artist."

• Brohoof 1

Perfect World Scenario

1. Commissions 'Shops' have a feedback system.

2. When 'x' feedback level is reached the artist is awarded a member / UG title

3. When a '-x' feedback level is reached account is send for Admin or Moderation review

Might solve both issues and give artists an incentive.

Also, I know there are a montain of 'wish list' items, but is redesigning the Commission system out of the question?

• Brohoof 3