Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I am logged out after a few days.

Dowlphin
Go to solution Solved by Jeric,

I come back to the MLP Forums every few days (sometimes weeks) and almost every time I find myself logged out again. Does this happen due to changes in Poniverse or something? I allow cookies for MLPForums and Poniverse and am still getting logged out.

This might have happened to me on other forums that use the same forum software, but by far not that often.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Yes, I checked the box. That's why I'm not logged out after a day or so. But if it's a kind of logout timer, a few days or even weeks is still a little short. I would want to write a new blog entry for example and then it tells me I don't have the rights - "oh, logged out AGAIN" - and then I have to log back in and then again navigate back to the blog page and then I can start writing.

Edited by Dowlphin
  • Brohoof 1

Personally I would only see this as an issue if this was occurring within a much shorter time frame than a few days or a few weeks. It is common to clear server sessions and cache when doing some maintenance, which would log *some* users out.

Super simplified

1. In general sites have a javascript timer to validate activity on a session.

2. If your browser fails to send a cookie when the timer expires the session expires

3. user is logged out

4. php boards do have a user based way of 'extending' or bypassing the timer, but it is no fool proof.

5. Different browsers will send cookies in different ways. I never get logged out on mobile, or on safari. I will on Firefox and IE.

6. Your internet security settings will also have an impact on cookies.

Now I can complicate the living heck out of this with how sessions might be managed through the Poniverse Portal ... but I will leave it at that. Like I said, if it is one log-in every few days or weeks I wouldn't consider it an issue especially when you factor in server maintenance.

The staff may feel different though.

Oh, if this drive you crazy, don't do online banking. They log you out if you blink too long. :D

• Brohoof 5

Thanks, that clarifies it. I don't know whether the other forums I use are doing that kind of maintenance less often or work around it. Will be up to the admins to decide whether they want to tweak it.

Oh, if this drive you crazy, don't do online banking. They log you out if you blink too long. :D

Well, mine has a good timer. And you have to log in there every time, which is really desirable, haha.

But, to go somewhat off-topic, a good example of what you're describing there would be Legends of Equestria. It kept logging me out during character creation so many times, destroying all the effort made to that point. Apparently actions during character creation don't register as player activity.

This issue still existed during the most recent open server weekend, which really put me off.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Considering the concern you raised is something that may not be avoidable and basically a normal function so to speak I'll go ahead and lock this.

HOWEVER .... If you find that the board is requiring login more frequently that it affects a normal session (ie: logging you out several times a day) please open a new topic.

:D

• Brohoof 3