Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Editors for The Daily Canter (1x1 between Rainbow Eclipse and Eloquence)

Rainbow Eclipse

@@Eloquence,

OOC: http://mlpforums.com/topic/109634-editors-for-the-daily-canter-ooc/

"Hmm... perhaps this? Haven't had curry in a while..."

Riley continued to murmur to himself as he placed items into his cart. Shopping was any normal weekly routine for him. His paycheck for his job at Manehattan Novelty Store got him enough for a terraced house, which wasn't all that big, but he was happy all the same, especially since he enjoyed his job.

As the checkout lady scanned Riley's items, the red Pegasus' glance shifted over to a rack of newspapers labelled "The Daily Canter".

He shrugged, picked up a copy, and threw it onto the conveyor belt.

He paid for his shopping and left.

He trotted over to a bench nearer the middle of the city. He may as well get started on the newspaper. And he didn't really have plans for the day (unless "sitting on his plump rump all day eating chips and playing video games" could be considered "plans").

He sat down, opened the newspaper and began reading.

Edited by Rainbow Eclipse

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@@Rainbow Eclipse,

Eloquence hopped off the train at the Central Manehattan station and smiled at the massive city before her. Although she couldn't ever see herself living in the sprawling metropolis, the city fascinated her greatly, and she enjoyed each and every trip here that her job sent her on. She left the station with a spring in her step, using her magic to pull the suitcase behind her as she walked.

She trotted the familiar path to her hotel, nodding and waving at ponies she knew as she passed them, mostly shopkeepers who's stores she frequented during her stays. She knew that grocer, and that pony from the stationary shop, and, she realized suddenly, she also knew that red pegasus sitting on the bench she was about to pass. She had met him at the Gala, if memory served.

"Now, what was his name again? Racer? Rocky?"

"Riley!" She called once she pulled the correct name out of her memory. "Fancy meeting you here."

Edited by Eloquence

@@Eloquence,

Riley looked up to see the source of the familiar voice. "Eloquence!" he greeted the unicorn mare happily. He jumped up and gave her a hug. "How are you? How's Ellipsis? How are things going with Belle and Mirror Image?"

He held up the newspaper. "Look, I'm reading that newspaper you write for! Are there any articles by you in here?"

Upon hearing his name, Ellipsis poked his head out of Eloquence's mane. He recognized Riley right away and flitted over to him, perching on his blonde head as Eloquence returned his hug.

"We're both doing quite well thank you, as are Belle and Mirror. I've been seeing them when I can, but for now we've agreed to take things slow, get to know each other a bit better."

She glanced over the newspaper he held up, recognizing the familiar title of the Daily Canter at once. 

"Ah, I believe so. Let me see...." She took the paper with her magic and flipped through the pages. "Here it is!" She pointed to her article on the recent dragon migration that had passed over Ponyville. 

@@Eloquence,

Riley chuckled as Ellipsis perched on his mane. "Hey there, you little monstrosity," he teased.

Riley looked at the article. "Yup, I went to Ponyville to see that. They didn't seem too different from the illusions in Mirror's brilliant show."

"I probably would have gotten in on the whole multi-relationship thing, but there's another mare I'm after, and it wouldn't feel right to love somepony else..."

Ellipsis chittered, seemingly rather pleased with the new nickname he'd been given.

Eloquence gave Riley an odd look and a chuckle. "It doesn't quite work like that dear." she said, grinning and lightly patting the pegasus on the head. "It's nice that you have someone you are interested in though. Does she know you feel as you do?"

@@Eloquence,

Riley wondered what Eloquence meant by "it doesn't quite work like that", but he shrugged it off. Perhaps he'd ask later. "I haven't told her yet," he said. He opened his wallet. Amongst the photo of his little brother Reece, a family photo, a photo of his dog Cookie, there was a photo of Anala. Her white very, very light grey fur, her dark grey braided mane, and her silvery eyes had been captured perfectly.

"Her name is Anala. She's a great archer, she's really smart, and she's real strong... why, she beats everypony I've seen her have a hoofwrestle with!"

@@Rainbow Eclipse,

Eloquence looked down at the photo. "She's beautiful, and she sounds like a lovely mare. Why haven't you told her how you feel about her? Are you concerned that she may not feel as you do?" she asked, her face and tone warm and encouraging. Her eyes quickly darted back down and scanned the other photos as well before she looked back up. She was curious as to who they all were, though she could make some guesses.

Edited by Eloquence

@@Eloquence,

"Yeah, that's about right," said Riley, chuckling a bit as Ellipsis pecked him lightly. "I keep chickening out. I need to be sure that I've won her over before I tell her how I feel," he explained. "Why, if I were an editor for The Daily Canter, I could write about her all day!"

@@Rainbow Eclipse

Eloquence chuckled at the silly colt. "I do not think it would be appreciated if all of your articles were about just one pony. Besides, if you were an editor, you would be doing more editing than writing." Her eyes flickered up to Ellipsis for a moment, watching him hop around the top of Riley's mane, before returning to meet Riley's gaze. "I don't know if you will ever be completely sure of her feelings, but I cannot fault you for your nervousness. I too have harbored feelings of affection that I kept hidden, and I know how frightening it is to reveal them."

Ellipsis chittered and fluttered back to Eloquence, burrowing into her mane. Eloquence gave a shy smile. "Oh, it's not really something current. Things are a bit complicated now, for obvious reasons. But there was one mare in particular who I quite admired, and still do, but I could not possibly say so. I would prefer not to name her..."

@@Eloquence,

Riley nodded. "Fair enough," he replied. He abided by Eloquence's wishes and did not enquire about the mare further.

"Do you have a place to stay here, Quency?" he asked. "If not, how about you crash at my house? Though we'll have to protect Ellipsis from my dog, Cookie..."

"Thank you for your generous offer Riley, but I have already been set up in a hotel for my stay. However, I would be honored to visit your home anytime, and you are more than welcome to visit me at the hotel if you wish to." She replied, then giggled. "And I wouldn't worry about Ellipsis if I were you. He can take care of himself."

@@Eloquence,

"I see. Have fun here in Manehattan, you two!" said Riley. "And don't hesitate to come to me if you need a tour guide. I know this place like the back of my hoof!"

"Are you hungry? How about we go to a bar called The Worn Saddle?" he said warmly. "It's not too far from here."

@@Rainbow Eclipse,

Eloquence's ears perked up at this. "Is this bar a particular favorite of yours? Is it well-known? A hidden gem perhaps?"

She checked herself, realizing she must sound odd. "Sorry. It's just that your offer is rather... fortuitous. It happens to relate to my reason for being here."

"I was sent to write an article on some of Manehattan's lesser known restaurants and other places for food and drink. Just a simple interest piece, but so far I'm admittedly not sure how to go about searching for these places. I wanted to write up a plan of some sort during the train ride here, but I couldn't really come up with more than a vague idea of what I'd do. Well, and a tentative title." She used her magic to pull some parchment out of her bag and levitate it in front of Riley's face. It was covered in several scratched-out titles, with one at the bottom that had so far been left un-scratched out. It read "Off the Eaten Path: An Adventurous Guide to Dining in Manehattan"

"Well, highest ranked is not exactly what I'm looking for. This could very well help me out, actually, and even if it doesn't I'm still happy to accompany you." Her stomach grumbled. "Quite happy, actually..." It grumbled again. She hadn't quite realized how hungry she was until food was mentioned.

@@Eloquence,

"Well... if you're looking for formal food, then the bar probably isn't your best bet. It mostly serves hayburgers and corndogs," informed Riley.

"But hey, food was made to be eaten!" he concluded. That was a personal mantra of his, which, as a young colt, he would recite whenever his parents called him out for messy eating.

"I'm not looking for anything formal in particular, in fact the wider the variety of the establishments I write about, the more interesting the final piece will be. Besides, a hayburger sounds wonderful right now." She extended a hoof in front of her, gesturing to the path ahead. "Lead the way."

@@Eloquence,

"Then let's roll!" announced Riley, and he led Eloquence to The Worn Saddle bar.

He flung open the door, and a pleasant, upbeat piano tune was being played. "Sounds good as usual, Larry!" called Riley, and tossed two Bits into the tip hat beside the lanky stallion playing the piano.

"I see you finally got your girl, Riley!" said a buff stallion as Riley and Eloquence parked their rears on a bar stool.

"Um, no, this is Eloquence. Somepony completely different," said Riley.

@@Rainbow Eclipse

Eloquence tossed a bit into the hat as well and smiled and nodded at the lanky pianist. She blushed and huffed a bit at the buff stallion's comment as she took her seat at the bar. "I am nopony's girl." she half-muttered, "and I am not to be 'got' by anypony" she finished in a low and indignant tone, likely inaudible to anyone but Ellipsis, who nuzzled her ear in what Eloquence took to be agreement.

Edited by Eloquence

@@Eloquence,

Riley raised an eyebrow and grinned as he looked back over at the pale green mare with a sunset-coloured mane. "Oh really? What about this mystery pony you told me about?" he retorted to Eloquence playfully, but said it in a whisper so as not to let anypony else hear. He wrapped his wing around her.