New contact method

Sunshower Raindrops

Although I Agree It Would be A Good Idea, I Unfortunatly Disagree with the release or users being able to pm or email other users emails.

The Majority of the users on the site Would use this Contact method for good, but Some.. Would use this to spam and Abuse other members, As well as that, Anyone on the internet would be able to sign up on the forum and have access to a large Data base of Emails, Hundreds of which for users under the age 18, Im not sure how everyone else will react to this idea, But I for one, Am 100% Against it sadly.

-Tim.

• Brohoof 1

If your email was on a public profile it would be available for a script to grab for 'marketing' purposes. That said, a function that hides the email to public, and only releases it to a group that you designate (be it friends list or a sub-list). Think friend groups like on facebook. Something like that would also be a good function for the Skype field as well. 

• Brohoof 5

Although I Agree It Would be A Good Idea, I Unfortunatly Disagree with the release or users being able to pm or email other users emails.

The Majority of the users on the site Would use this Contact method for good, but Some.. Would use this to spam and Abuse other members, As well as that, Anyone on the internet would be able to sign up on the forum and have access to a large Data base of Emails, Hundreds of which for users under the age 18, Im not sure how everyone else will react to this idea, But I for one, Am 100% Against it sadly.

-Tim.

I'm not talking about releasing everyone's email address. I'm talking about adding the option to add your email to the contact methods list. Adding anything to the Contact methods list is optional so I do not see the problem above especially because the issue above applies to all things added to the contact list like skype for example.

~~~ Sunshower Raindrops

Sunshower Raindrops, on 12 Nov 2014 - 12:01 PM, said:

I'm not talking about releasing everyone's email address. I'm talking about adding the option to add your email to the contact methods list. Adding anything to the Contact methods list is optional so I do not see the problem above especially because the issue above applies to all things added to the contact list like skype for example.

~~~ Sunshower Raindrops

True, But with skype You need to approve someone as a contact in order to conversate with them, With email anyone can email you anything, Or subscribe you to anything, Any way, if the option is there people will add it,

even if they do know the consequences, On email you can be anyone, you can pretend your a cop, Or from the UN

or from somewhere even shadier, It is surprisingly easy to fake a email!

-Tim,

P.S: Emailing a member would be awesome but in the contact list at the momment you can do what you want with

the users contact email.

P.P.S:

Nice Profile Pic :D

Edited by Frozen The Unicorn

If your email was on a public profile it would be available for a script to grab for 'marketing' purposes. That said, a function that hides the email to public, and only releases it to a group that you designate (be it friends list or a sub-list). Think friend groups like on facebook. Something like that would also be a good function for the Skype field as well. 

That or you could just make a separate skype/email for forum use so you do not have to share private issue.  :P  I like the idea though :)

~~~ Sunshower Raindrops

Sunshower Raindrops, on 12 Nov 2014 - 12:09 PM, said:

That or you could just make a separate skype/email for forum use so you do not have to share private issue. :P I like the idea though :)

~~~ Sunshower Raindrops

Jeric, on 12 Nov 2014 - 11:59 AM, said:

I really Like that idea of You designating a list of friends who you trust for skype, Still very skeptical of

email's being on here, I cant think of anyone who would abuse This but you never know :c

True, But with skype You need to approve someone as a contact in order to conversate with them.

Only partially correct.While you get the option to do that, the default settings for skype allows anyone to contact you and there is a reason why there is a thing called the Tyranny of small decisions. Plus that still does not defeat the fact that the moment you share info you put yourself at risk. I understand your concern though.

~~~ Sunshower Raindrops

• Brohoof 1

Only partially correct.While you get the option to do that, the default settings for skype allows anyone to contact you and there is a reason why there is a thing called the Tyranny of small decisions. Plus that still does not defeat the fact that the moment you share info you put yourself at risk. I understand your concern though.

~~~ Sunshower Raindrops

Thanks for correcting me, Ive had skype since like 2009 so Im probably a bit outdated :D

• Brohoof 1