Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Need help with Rosemary's colors

Tom Snyder

Hi! I'm retrosteamknight and I'm here to share my knowledge regarding your problem!

Try to have a main colour that brings out the detail colours as best as they can.

Or, if you're feeling ambitious, you can try and base the colours off character traits. 

Expert in herbs? Colour her a a delicate green with a pinch of sea foam.

Her name is Rosemary? Her hair can be a shade of purple as a nod to the colours of the flowers on a rosemary bush.

Cutie Mark? That's trivial. How about a Rosemary Bush?

But the eyes you may need to figure out for yourself. Just follow my tips above for the best results.

Here's an example of what I was talking about...

post-30374-0-98108500-1417490687_thumb.png

What AmberDust suggested was rosemary leaves for the cutie mark, don't know if that works.

You can do whatever you'd like for the Cutie Mark. When it came down to me, I took only very minor advice from forum-goers and decided to make Garnet's Cutie Mark something totally different that I felt applied to HIM. I'm just here to provide assistance, but you can do whatever comes to mind. I think Rosemary Leaves would kinda work as a cutie mark, because it matches her name and her knowledge of herbs, but do consider that Cutie Marks appear when a pony finds his/her special talent, thereby eliminating the possibility of naming somepony after a cutie mark. So that means that selecting a cutie mark just to match the name is probably not a smart idea most of the time. It works sometimes, but not always. This means that you're going to have to go on a game of hide n' seek to find your OC's special talent and thereby earn major inspiration for her Cutie Mark.

Everypony is good at something, but nopony is good at everything, not even me.For instance, I'm not good at naming OCs. If you aren't great with cutie marks, I can probably help you if you provide an accurate description of your pony's cutie mark.

Edited by retrosteamknight

Okay, so here's what I've got. The first one is my original drawing of Rosemary...it's old so you can just ignore it. The second one is her current design you made on pony maker (I might have changed it a little in my drawing ;))

In the third image, you'll see some ideas for cutie marks. #1 is three rosemary flowers. #2 is two sprigs of rosemary around a heart (symbolizing health). #3 is just two plain leaves. #4 is a bundle if rosemary.

What do you think?

Oh and the last pic is an idea for the colour scheme. I tried balancing out the cold greens and purple with some orange..idk :P

post-29013-0-63755400-1417635694_thumb.jpg

post-29013-0-99437500-1417635757_thumb.jpg

post-29013-0-61237300-1417635775_thumb.jpg

post-29013-0-68050900-1417636758_thumb.jpg

Edited by AmberDust
  • Brohoof 2

Okay, so here's what I've got. The first one is my original drawing of Rosemary...it's old so you can just ignore it. The second one is her current design you made on pony maker (I might have changed it a little in my drawing ;))

In the third image, you'll see some ideas for cutie marks. #1 is three rosemary flowers. #2 is two sprigs of rosemary around a heart (symbolizing health). #3 is just two plain leaves. #4 is a bundle if rosemary.

What do you think?

Oh and the last pic is an idea for the colour scheme. I tried balancing out the cold greens and purple with some orange..idk :P

These sketches are fantastic! Diese Kunst verdient Lob! I love your Cutie Mark ideas. They really fit in with most of Rosemary's Traits. Now let's see what Rain Crasher thinks of them.

• Brohoof 1

I'm a guy just so you know. What made you think i was a girl?  :lol:

... To be honest... I really don't know... Just a bit of impulse from being within a short distance of at least one female for most of my day...

Also, your username is Rain Crasher, and the lead flutist in the community band in my town is a girl by the name of Rain Garcia. It just made me think of her...

Which do you like of the cutie marks? as for me, i'd have to say the sprigs surrounding the heart. It seems to match up more with her talent

I second this. Also the sprigs are purple, which if you choose to make her hair purple then it'll match.

• Brohoof 1

Which do you like of the cutie marks? as for me, i'd have to say the sprigs surrounding the heart. It seems to match up more with her talent

I agree. It matches quite nicely with her knowledge of herbs & quick-fix healing salves and her willingness to help everypony around her. Sort of like a botanist version of Fluttershy.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Plus her self defensive style is an added bonus, i wanted to base it off Kajukenbo. as they say, a good offense is a good defense. Her whole family is a clan of fighters, this family trait is the thing to help her survive.

Amberdust thought it would work well with her since she's an earth pony. its said they have earth magic(strength) am i wrong?

I second this. Also the sprigs are purple, which if you choose to make her hair purple then it'll match.

I did want to make it purple, but it got changed to a lighter color. But its good to see people working together for once.

Edited by Rain Crasher

To be honest, Amber, i thought you were a guy. So i guess we all were wrong. :lol:

I guess we both saw something in the other that we could relate too. That's why I thought you were my gender and you thought I was yours.

Either that or I thought your avatar looked like a girl. :P

Anyways, my one concern regarding the cutie mark you prefer is that it has the colour red in it, which might be hard to fit with the other colours in her palette.

Edited by AmberDust