open Expedition into Uncharted Land

Nameless Knight

(We will)

The boat slowed to a stop and the captain came out of his quarters. A different crewmember was sent to everypony and said "Everypony to the upper deck, the captain wants to meet with everypony before we send you off"

Chronos thanked the sailor who told him and looked over to the captain who was talking with his first mate. Chronos then looked at a group of sailor readying the dinghy.

"I had a name... forgot it many, centuries ago. It faded away like many things, but me. I'm still here, still here trying to find something. What is that something? I don't know, I forgot." -The Nameless Knight

@@Firehearted,

"You sure I could have sworn I told ya my name is Cosmo, or I might have forgotten I don't know. I get ahead of myself sometimes." I smiled weakly

"Oh, if you don't getting me them, I really could use my meds." The sooner I got them the sooner I can get back to normal. With this migraine I can't cast any spells and that leaves me more vulnerable than I'd like, and if we were headed somewhere dangerous I'll need to be in the best condition I could be.

Still there was something odd about that fellow... I can tell he doesn't trust me one bit, but I know he'll keep true to his word. Its an odd feeling... But I know something good will come out of this, and if it doesn't I doubt I'll be alive long enough anyway.

Sigh, I really need to get off this boat already...

"Everypony to the upper deck, the captain wants to meet with everypony before we send you off"

Seems my prayers have been answered...

Edited by EternalNight

@

My ears perked as I heard the announcement. 

"Go run and get your meds. If you want to show with us up on deck I'll vouch for you. If not just try and sneak off the boat if I don't come back below deck" 

I grabbed my pack and trotted up to the top deck to meet with the others I would soon be practically living with for the next few weeks.

Aloha from sunny and/or rainy Hawaii!

Atlas: The fez-wearing adventurer

Hunter: The resident werewolf

Patches: The only doctor for the next ten miles

Bulawayo followed along as the new formed group of ponies advanced up to the top deck. It was well near time that they finally landed.

Picking up his saddle bag of potions he joined up with the group but remained about in spacing to be curtious to his fellow ponies.

Do stick around Darling, I could use the company~

"I'll see ya above deck, no sense hiding anymore anyway." I yelled to Atlas before stumbling back to get my gear.

Hiding was completely pointless at this moment, especially if I'm supposed to travel with a few people for awhile, it would be more awkward if I just randomly jumped in on their expedition. If there's any trouble I could just slip away if necessary. Though I doubt it will come to that, I'm sure Atlas will vouch for me, I have the utmost faith in that.

I dug up my gear from the floor boards and immediately took some of my medicine, almost instantly my headache began fading away as my magic began to balance itself out again. I put on my leather armor, threw some crossbow bolts in my quiver, all that necessary preparation etc.

Once I was ready I threw on my saddlebag, and slung my crossbow on my back, then made my way to the deck. By now my medicine had kicked in full force and my headache was all but gone.

When I made it above deck I saw a group of ponies already forming, I trotted up to them quietly and stood near the back in silence with my hood up as to not draw attention to myself right away. I tapped Atlus on the back to let him in was there. Hopefully exposing myself like this doesn't prove to be a mistake.

Edited by EternalNight

Chronos started walking towards the captain once he noticed that the others were starting to come on deck.

He heard the captain yell "Everypony! Over here!" Chronos looked at the captain.

The captain was large muscular stallion with a grey beard. He had his left eye covered by a patch and from the look of his clothing he was a decorated naval officer, probably retired.

"I had a name... forgot it many, centuries ago. It faded away like many things, but me. I'm still here, still here trying to find something. What is that something? I don't know, I forgot." -The Nameless Knight

Blackheart was already waiting by the captain. He wondered what the captain wanted, perhaps he was just warning them of the dangers they would find. Blackheart shrugged to himself. The captain seemed like a decent enough sort and one that had seen a good share of battles if his eyepatch were anything to say as well as his uniform.

Blackheart hung back at one of the sides of the ship. He was still within earshot of the captain, but not close enough so he'd have to worry about his social awkwardness making him look like a fool.

I approached the captain casually to avoid attracting any attention. Luckily after years of practice I'm really good at blending in a crowd so I doubt he noticed me. I wondered what the captain wanted, probably a warning or something about the island. Atlas did say something about this being an expedition of sorts, maybe he was going to give us a briefing. Whatever it was I'd hope he'd get it done soon, I wanted off this boat as soon as possible.

The captain looked at the group "Let me just say that you are either the bravest or dumbest sons a bitches I have ever met. The fact that you didn't start complaining about wanting to go home and run to yer mommas after the first storm, surprised me." He stroked his beard and continued "Alright, I want each of you to look at each other, from what I have seen, 50 percent of you will die, 25 percent will give up and stay the week on the beach waiting for us to come back for ya, and the other 25 percent... well you will probably get lost and keep lookin' for the treasure until you turn into a husk... Now let me give you some tips"

He looked at Chronos "Tin-can, stay out of mud... you will probably sink" Chronos looked at him and said "My name is Chronos"

"Yeah Yeah Yeah Tin-can" The captain said.

He turned to Blackheart "stay away from anything with a very big sword... like tin-can"

He looked at Bulawayo "Beware where you throw those potions and try not to hit the others, because they may be the only 'friends' you got on that Island...."

He looked at Atlas "You...  just stay with the others and... stop wearing the fez it makes you look stupid..."

He then looked at the thief "You... wait who are you?"

Well, well, seems the captain isn't completely stupid after all. His gaze seemed to stare into my soul making me feel uncomfortable. I had to say something quick before he got suspicious, so I decided to tell the truth.

"I doubted you would have recognized me captain, I've been rather seasick this whole voyage so I've spent most of my time below deck, my name's Cosmo."

I blushed a bit in embarrassment and looked down to avoid the captains gaze.

Edited by EternalNight

The captain walked over to him "Well Cosmo! I don't remember seeing you board the ship!" The Captain looked at him, His eyes wide "Do you got your letter?" The captain asked "The letter that allowed you to get on me ship!" He continued.

Chronos looked at Cosmo.

@,

"Letter? I don't know anything about a letter I'm just a lacky for the fellow with the fez." I say looking at Atlas @@Firehearted,

"He doesn't tell me much, just drags me around every which way. I honestly have no idea where we were going either, I just do what he tells me to."

I look at Atlas for some support, hopefully he'll take the hint and go along with it or do something get me out of this bind. I already regret not trying to sneak off the boat...

Edited by EternalNight

@,@,

"Oi!" I called to the captain. "He's mine, as in my slave. As for as I'm concerned he is property and doesn't require your letter. I bought him up in the Griffon Kingdom from a baron. He was a fifth generation serf who couldn't pay his family's ago old debts so the local lord allowed him to be sold and I bought him. I've got papers detailing the purchase need be"

It was a gamble. If this captain knew anything about the Griffon Kingdom he'd know slavery in the sense I had it in was illegal. No baron could ever sell someone there.

I gave a subtle wink to Cosmo.

"And don't insult my fez" I added.

Edited by Firehearted

(edited)

Chronos turned to Atlas "There is no slavery in the griffon kingdom, During the war with the griffons a few years back. I didn't see any slaves In any of the cities we occupied" 

The captain looked at Atlas "Are you playing me for a fool! Well I might be old but I an't no fool!" He yelled

Edited by Times Hay

@

Damn. He knows a thing or two.

"Of course I am not, captain. You just saw the outer part of the Kingdom. If you remember the war ended after the Griffon National Army surrendered at the capital and we marched no further. If you had gone farther into the country you would have seen what I'm talking about"

I dived into a fictional history of the Griffon Kingdom.

"All tourist and diplomats see is the outer kingdom, the part the Emperor wants outsiders to see. It may look nice and civilized but that is once again, the part they want you to see. I, however, have access to the deeper parts of the Kingdom and I've seen the Kingdom's hidden nature. Deeper into the Kingdom serfs are treated as slaves and if they gather enough debt they can be sold to pay it back. Serfs in the outer Kingdom are treated MUCH better... Cosmo here couldn't pay up so he was sold to me"

I dug in my bag and pulled out the book I was reading earlier.

"This is the official rite of purchase. Both I and the Baron who sold him has one" I opened to a random page, acted like I was looking for something, then began.

"In the Year of Our Kingdom 1421, a Mister Atlas Rainbows Lightfeather, citizen of Equestria and son of Quill Boxer Lightfeather, purchased one раб from Baron Highwinds Ralf Strongstrike, Baron of the Petty Shire Highnest, Vassal of Lord Swift Laker Hardbeak, and son of the Prince of Petty Ducky Hagard, Lowwinds Boulder Strongstrike. The раб was purchased with one bushel of Equestrian Apples, one sack of golden pieces which weighed three heavy claws, and one minor favor to Lord Randolf Flight Wingdance of Duchy Low Parker and all correlated Shires.

This transaction of one раб to Atlas Rainbows Lightfeather has been approved by Lord Swift Laker Hardbeak"

The page I was reading was actually about some ancient teachings from some wise man but I knew the captain couldn't read Old Griffon.

Edited by Firehearted

(edited)

@@Firehearted,

Chronos walked up "I don't know where you are getting your info but the army I was in marched so deep into that country that we practically had control of over 75% of it, and the tyrant surrendered when we separated his head from his torso and we put a griffon worthy of the title emperor into power. Trust me I was there, it was the first time I gave a speech during a battle..." He said remembering that he had said some racist comments during it to encourage his allies.

The Captain looked at him "Why would the rite of purchase be a book instead of a parchment..." He said feeling skeptical.

Edited by Times Hay

Bulawayo awaited patiently as the captain and fellow passengers discussed amongst each other. Over hearing slavery and what not? He continued listening in his eyes shifting about between the gaggle of ponies.

He sat about and simply waited. Only keeping his hearing ready.

@,

"This is my personal journal that doubles as a ledger, that's why I have it in a book. The document which I got with the purchase is in a lock box at my home" My real journal was in my saddlebags but I'd never show him and if he tried to take it out of my bag I'd chop his hoof off.

I was running out of lies to think of. Soon enough this new guy would corner me. I leaned close to him and talked as to not let the captain hear.

"Do me a favor and keep your mouth shut. I can explain everything once we're off this boat, trust me" 

I raised me voice. "So captain, will you let me off this ship with all my possessions or no?"

Chronos just nodded slightly

The captain stroked his beard and said "Alright, but you still make me sick for having a slave... and yes your fez is stupid. All of you get on the row boat. My first mate will take you to shore, Tin can sit in the middle so you don't capsize the ship!"

Chronos whispered "I'm starting to not like this guy..."

Blackheart was a bit unnerved by the unpleasantness of the situation and was glad that it was resolved. He didn't like these social situations and found it odd that one with such a supposed scholary attitude would own a slave. No, Blackheart doubted that the pony was really a slaveowner. It was plain to Blackheart's eyes to see that the unregistered pony was being covered for by the supposed 'slaveowner'.

Blackheart proceeded to get into the rowboat without a word. He eyed the others, unsure of what to make of them. Ironically, he had only spoken to one of them during the entire voyage and that conversation had only been at the end. Well, Blackheart had spoken to the captain for a bit and shared a few stories, but that was about it as far as he had conversed. Now he waited, he was excited on what the uncharted lands would hold in store for him.

@@The Shadow Stallion,@, @,  

"Thank you, captain. Come along, Cosmo. We've got places to be" I got in the rowboat keeping the same neutral look I had toward the captain. Once we were a ways from the ship I could drop the slave act. Since only the first mate was rowing us out I doubt it would matter if I dropped the act mid-row. Even if he did want to row Cosmo back it would be two against one. On second thought it would be best just to wait it out and get to shore.

I nodded to Blackheart in greeting. I took a random seat and began to check my Arquebuse and waited for my 'slave' to get on with me. Loaded and ready and good, the powder wasn't wet. I slowly cleaned it with a rag to make sure none of the saltiness from the ocean would get to it.

Bulawayo remained on the ship watching about as the ponies boarded the rowboat.

"I wish you all the best. I won't be attending this journey any further." He says.

It was his final decision. After such careful consideration perhaps this was not the best option. His best abilities was not ment for exploration. Perhaps his comrades needed him back home.

((Just letting the lot of you know I'll be changing my character. I've already discussed this with the DM))

Chronos looked at Bulawayo "What made you change your mind? " He asked before getting on the boat and sitting in the middle. The captain was actually true, his heavy armor would probably put to much weight on the boat. Chronos took off his helmet and looked at Bulawayo.

"I thought long and hard upon my decision. I thought upon my comrades at home. How just unreliable I feel just myself here. I belong back there with them. I wouldn't mind tagging along, but this isn't the right time." He says. He gives Chronos a nod.

"It was nice to meet you." He thanked

"May fortune find you..." Chronos said with a smile before nodding and putting back on his helmet.

The captain looked at Bulawayo and whispered "At least its the quiet one that's staying..."

The first mate came up from the lower decks and started walking to the row boat with two oars.