open Expedition into Uncharted Land

Nameless Knight

I got into the boat without saying a word, slavery, where in the hell did that come from? It was overwhelming to say the least, I mean I've had some uncomfortable conversations in my day but that was definitely in the top ten of awkward moments of my life so far. Still it seems to have worked, the captain is letting me off the ship at least... It would have probably been a smarter decision to have just stolen a boat and took it to shore but it seems to have worked out in the end. I took a seat near Atlas and kept my mouth shut, hoping this whole thing would soon blow over. 

The First mate sat in the back and made sure everypony was in the boat. The boat was lowered into the water and the first mate began to row the boat towards the island.

Chronos put on his helmet and looked at the mist covered island "What the hell are we getting ourselves into..." He whispered.

"I had a name... forgot it many, centuries ago. It faded away like many things, but me. I'm still here, still here trying to find something. What is that something? I don't know, I forgot." -The Nameless Knight

@,@, @, @@The Shadow Stallion,

I hoped onto land as the boat landed on the island leaving my pack behind. "Land at last!" It felt good to have my hooves on something that wasn't rocking side to side. Sure, it looked dangerous but it wasn't floating. 

"Come on, Cosmo. We've got places to be and get my bag would you?"

Aloha from sunny and/or rainy Hawaii!

Atlas: The fez-wearing adventurer

Hunter: The resident werewolf

Patches: The only doctor for the next ten miles

@@Firehearted,

"Oh, yes of course..." I said as I grabbed both my and his bag and awkwardly stammered out of the boat.

I stepped onto the shore and nearly broke down and began kissing the ground. I couldn't even begin to describe how it felt to be on solid ground again. If I never had to take another boat ride like that it would be too soon. My eyes quickly darted around the omnious landscape, it was very different than the city streets I was used to. I trotted to Atlas' side and waited for the rest of our companions to come ashore.

Edited by EternalNight

Chronos took a step of the boat and pick up a skull out from the sand, "This one didn't make it very far..." He said to himself looking at the arrow in the back of it. "Who ever this is, was fleeing or just decided to turn its back on the wrong group of ponies. " He continued. He set it down and looked around he thought he saw something moving but it turned out to be an over-sized crab. He looked at the dense forest on the other side of the beach.

"I had a name... forgot it many, centuries ago. It faded away like many things, but me. I'm still here, still here trying to find something. What is that something? I don't know, I forgot." -The Nameless Knight

Blackheart stepped off the boat and studied the beach carefully before looking up at the others. They were an odd group to be sure, but the again he himself was odd as well. Blackheart wondered if any of them had seen combat or horrors of one nature or another. "We.... uh.... should probably....set a base camp?...." Blackheart asked rather meekly. His bad socializing skills clearing showing, but perhaps a glimmer of intelligence as well.

@@The Shadow Stallion, @

"Good idea. We do need a base camp but not here... It's too open, too easy to find. But it has its own advantages. We sure can see anyone coming... But if we set up in the woods we'd be a bit hidden but someone could sneak up on us"

My skills I had gathered over years of exploration and survival kicked in. I was used to building a camp for just myself and maybe another but not for a large group such as this. No matter. I knew what I was doing. If they'd follow my lead, though I didn't know.

"I think we should set up a bit inland. The skull here doesn't exactly help my thoughts of this area... But it's all your choices" I took my arquebus off my pack still being carried by Cosmo. 

"I'll take my pack once the first mate leaves" I told him quietly.

@@Firehearted

"Thanks... this bag weighs a ton..." I whisper back.

I look back towards the rather motley crew I found myself with.

"I know i'm not supposed to speak up, but I agree with my master. Setting up camp here would be a terrible idea, we should get off the beach."

I mean it made sense to me that staying here would be a horrible idea even with my lack of travel experience (skull was a dead give away), but I also really just wanted to get away from the first mate. I don't know how long I could keep up this little slave routine I found myself dragged into. Of all the things that pony could of thought of... he must be messed in the head. Slavery isn't really a concept most ponies I knew ever gave a passing thought on, not even hypothetically. Plus I'm also screwed if they start asking me about the Griffin kingdom or where ever he said he "bought me". I don't know much about anywhere outside of Manehatten...  Though my head was cleared up enough I could use my magic if I needed to, but I'd rather save myself the headache. 

I look back at Atlas. " Where, to master?"

@,

"Follow me, Cosmo" I lead the two of us just out of earshot from the others. "When will that first mate bugger off?" I thought aloud. I spun around to face Cosmo.

"Sorry for dropping the slave act on you. It was the first thing I thought could get you out of there... Not my brightest or most level headed idea but it worked. Once the first mate leaves I'm dropping the act and if anyone has any problems with you then it's two against one"

Why was I helping him again? Because he was down on his luck and I wasn't think straight? Maybe but probably not... Too late to say anything about it now though. I was helping him.

"I'm going to frank with you. If we get off this island in one piece you're going to be stuck with me for the next six months minimum. And that's once we get back to Equestria. It's going to take my friends time to get you a pardon from thin air and for me to notify my people you're in the network. Now if you prove yourself to be an irredeemable bastard all I'm doing is getting you of the hook and getting you on a more-or-less clean slate then you're on your own. If you prove to be more than that I'm letting you into my network which I'll explain later and only if you're willing to pay the price to get in. You seem like a decent guy and I'm willing to help a decent guy who needs a boost"

For all I know he's a murderer. And what was i doing? Giving him access to a carefully constructed, global network that has taken years to assemble. My gut didn't like this one bit and I still didn't trust him. Only time would tell I suppose.

"If you've got any objections say them now before we're potentially running for our lives away from Celestia knows what. If not then keep your mouth shut until first mate is gone so he won't run and get his crew"

Chronos shook his head and started to walk on his own. He only had a week to find that treasure and had no time to make a permanent camp. He was heading for the forest/jungle in front of him. He thought that the whole lost kingdom would probably be in the center of it.

The first mate began returning to the ship.

Blackheart was unsure of what to do. He saw Chronos walk off alone and the other two were doing something else on the side in some sort of private conversation. Blackheart decided against the others advice and started building a small camp on the shore. He started gathering some wood to make a firepit.

@@Firehearted,@, @@The Shadow Stallion,

"If I had any objections to begin with, I would have never jumped aboard that ship." I give him a confident smile. "I'm with you till end, i figure anything I face here is better than what i'm looking at back home."

I'll eventually tell him about the amulet, but for now that's not important. If I'm going to survive I don't wanna risk upsetting him, I doubt I could do well on my own out here. Survival outside of the city really wasn't my specialty. Plus his distrust in me was radiating off him subtly, there was something about that guy that I wanted to find out. I could tell he was hiding something, something big... Whatever it was, it effected him greatly, that wound on his knee was rather interesting as well. Guess I'll find out in due time though, no sense rushing things I mean I'm stuck with him for a week. Plus if he actually does hold up his end of the bargain and gets me a clean slate then none of this would matter in the end anyway. I'm curious about this "network" of his as well, though like everything, I'll learn that all in good time. 

I look over and notice the first mate was finally gone and handed him back his bag, my back instantly relieved of it's incredible weight. "Here, I'm sure you'll be needing this."

I also noticed the tin can looking fellow wondering off by himself and other guy gather a bunch of wood, is he seriously trying to set up camp here?

I turn to Atlas again and ask. "What do you suppose we do with them?"

Hopefully we can all sort of work together, I have a feeling we are going to need all the help we can get. Safety in numbers as I always say.

Edited by EternalNight

@,

"We could just move inland and only set up camp in secure places such as ruins... Setting up here is bad idea. We need to make as much progress as we can muster"

@@The Shadow Stallion

I didn't want to leave the warrior-librarian here but in the wilderness you hold you own which would be me and Cosmo right now. He was on his own.

"Come on. We don't want to burn daylight wandering about here" I readjusted my pack and began to move toward the treeline and toward the unknown.

Chronos made it to a path that led into the dense forest. He looked back to see the others making no progress and began walking down the path into the unknown, he was ready to draw his sword at anytime. He kept an eye out for anything that could possible try and attack him. He also kept an eye on the trees, he remember reading of giants, huge bipedal creatures that are very tree like.

Blackheart whistled a tune to himself as he finished gathering the wood and setting up the firepit. He then set to work making a nice hut made out of some of the giant leaves off some of the jungle trees, after making sure they were indeed leaves that he could use. All in all it was a nice campsite and it hadn't taken that long to construct. He looked around then and noticed that the others had already left. This disheartened him a bit, he was a loner by nature, but basically he had just been abandoned.

He sighed. He hoped the others would be alright. Blackheart found a stick and began sharpening it into a point with his sword.

I followed Atlas into the forest, my mind wondering as it usually did, despite wanting to try and get that other fellow to come along with us. Having another in the part would have had its advantages but I guess Atlas had his reasons in leaving him behind. He didn't seem to have any malice with the guy at least. Oh well I suppose we'll meet up with the rest another time, I mean we are all after the same goal I think.

Come to think of it I still have no idea what were doing here, Atlas never gave me a clear distinction really. He just said it was an expedition of sorts, and he talked about ruins or something. I wonder if we'll get to do any daring doo stuff, like fighting evil villians over ancient treasures. Seeing how everyone had weapons aboard I'm guessing we'll see combat at some point.

Rather hope we didn't, I thought to myself looking down at my crossbow. Been awhile since I last had fired it, my aim is probably rusty. I mean other than a few test fires I haven't really shot it since... I shook my head, that wasn't a memory I really wanted to look back on right now or ever for that matter.

I continued to let my mind wander as I followed along behind Atlas, soaking in the sightes and sounds of nature. Being in a forest was a rather alien experience to me, actually anywhere out of the city was rather unfamiliar to me. Seeing how I doubt I will ever get a chance to travel around like this I decide to enjoy every moment I could of this. Who knows, maybe this really was the adventure of a lifetime I had been waiting for since I was just a kid. Maybe, I really was a step closer to getting that new life I always wanted. Maybe I could finally make good on that promise I made so long ago.

(edited)

Chronos saw a pony sitting next to a tree. He readied his weapons "Hey!" He yelled. He saw the pony stand and look at him. The pony was brown and shriveled, literally skin and bone, with green dead eyes. "Husks..." The pony started running at Chronos. He hit it with his shield and stabbed it why it was on the ground. He then chopped it's head. 

Edited by Times Hay

@,

This forest wasn't one I was used to. In the Everfree I could name almost every plant, animal, and all there dangers easily. Here I couldn't tell a thing. It was a bit unsettling for me. 

Oh crap...

"Say, Cosmo... Would you happen to have any food on you?" I had food for myself and that was it. Even if he didn't have food we could live but we'd be low on calories which out here we'd need as many as we could get.

@

"Hey!"

"Follow me and run" I bolted in the opposite direction. I bore no allegiance to anyone but myself and Cosmo right now. Whoever just shouted alerted half the forest of his location and I wasn't sticking around to find out who he'd alerted.

Blackheart had finished sharpening a makeshift spear and resharpening the sword he used. He had proceeded to make a fire when he heard a shout from the forest. It was very feint given the density of the forest itself, but Blackheart had clearly head a pony voice call out. Blackheart stood up, sheathed his sword and held the spear, charging into the forest. He made a mental note of the sun and the position of his camp. If anything he might would be able to tell the direction of his camp if his fire would start smoking. It didn't take long for Blackheart to find his way to Chronos. Blackheart was an experienced traveler and though this forest was on foreign soil, he had traveled through many forests like it in the past.

"Something wrong?" Blackheart asked emerging from the brush with his spear. His eyes widened slightly at the corpse and he held the spear facing toward Chronos, wary.

@@Firehearted,

I took off after Atlas, keeping up the pace as best I could. The forest terrain seemed to slow me down as I wasn't accustomed to moving about in terrian like this, but I was able to to keep up with him. It was rather odd, one second he was asking about food the next he had us running for our lives but I just have to trust that he had his reasons.

Edited by EternalNight

@,

After we'd ran I reasonable ways I stopped and waited for Cosmo.

"There are three things in uncharted forests. Things that want to eat you, things that want to take everything you've got including your life, and things that want to gut you for the giggles. If you see anything that fits those categories shout and bolt. Got it? Good"

I was probably coming across a bit firm but that's how it worked out here.

"If you seem something that means you harm kill them before they kill you. Never give them a chance to act"

Kill or be killed. A lesson many who accompanied me learned a bit too late.

"Now where was I?" I asked quickly shifting gears. "Do you have any food on you?"

@@The Shadow Stallion,

Chronos was wiping the blood off of his blade. "Put that thing down, it was a husk." He said before Sheathing his blade "It came right at me as soon as it spotted me, it was fast for something that looks like it's body has eaten itself almost completely..." He then looked at Blackheart's spear "Unless you are going to go spear fishing... then well that isn't going to do anything to the bigger things said to be on this Island" Chronos then saw something behind Blackheart. On one of the trees was a carving that looked like a large tower and a dragon, next to the tree was a skeleton with a knife. "What do we have here... " He said before examining the carving. 

Blackheart was still wary of Chronos but he slowly lowered his spear. He didn't like how Chronos rejected the spear so easily. It was effective at what it did, keep enemies at a distance, and in places like this, the further your enemies were from you, the safer you were. Generally speaking, but Blackheart wasn't sure exactly what all lurked here.

Blackheart turned as Chronos moved past him to the skeleton. "Seems the dead are everywhere." Blackheart mused, wondering why so many dead things were littering the floor of the forest. He'd thought by now that nature would have disposed of the remains, skeletons included.

@@Firehearted,

"Kill or be killed huh? Well next time warn me a bit more before taking off like that if you can."

I'm glad I was still in shape, despite that horridly long journey on the ship. Otherwise I would have probably lost him, in that mess. That guy sure does have a pair of legs on him.

I look back at him and answered his initial question. "Yea I've got some stuff I could swipe from the cargo bay. I got enough to eat for awhile, I stashed quite a bit since I had no idea how long I'd be aboard that horrible ship."

It wasn't much of a selection, just your standard rations but they were better than nothing.

"Why do you ask? You forget to pack some?" I half joked, I'm sure he had his own food. He seems like the adventurer type so I bet he's far more prepared than me. I guess he might just be worried for me, or just doesn't want to have to feed a second mouth if he didn't have to.

Edited by EternalNight

@,

"Good, We won't have to spend much time scavenging about. If you do see something that looks like food grab it though just in case. DON'T eat it. I'll have to look over it first and I may not even know what it is out here. I thought you may not have had food since, ya know, you were a stowaway"

Granted I probably couldn't say if anything out here was food. This place was too different. Even if we didn't find anything great we could eat grass. We're equine.

"So... You want to lead the way for a bit? I'm sure you won't get us killed too fast" I joked. I had no idea where to go from here. Any guess would be good right now.