Does anyone have a suitable map of Equestria?

yisetab28

From the start it was pretty straightforward, just Equestria, a big pangea land. But then there's Saddle Arabia, Maretonia, the old frozen world, etcetera etcetera. I'm a bit lost in all of this, so I'm asking you guys/girls out there if anyone has a map of Equestria with all that has been presented in the show. From what I see from the official map, Equestria is in the northern hemishphere of the planet they're on, so there's probably much more than that.

DRAW PONIES AND WRITE FANFICS FOR MOTHERLAND

There's always this map:

Map_of_Equestria_April_2013.jpg

Is this a suitable map for you? :muffins:

This is the main continent I've talked about. You see, Saddle Arabia, the Griffon's french land and many other places are not there. Plus, the bottom of the map is not a tundra or artic weather place, so this map probably ends at the planet's equator, and there's probably more to it.

This is the main continent I've talked about. You see, Saddle Arabia, the Griffon's french land and many other places are not there. Plus, the bottom of the map is not a tundra or artic weather place, so this map probably ends at the planet's equator, and there's probably more to it.

Hmm, well, I don't think there's been a map that shows those locations, so I can't help you there. Sorry! :(

It is established that regardless of what the whole World is comprised of in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, the fact is Equestria is only one country in it. It is not clear what nations it neighbors, or even if the Crystal Empire is a province, state, or enclave nation under commonweath control. We do know that there are at least three countries with whom Equestria has diplomatic relations: Maretonia, Saddle Arabia and whatever nation Griffons are from. There are also several other implied nations, such as a realm where Changelings are native, a country which is home for the Zebras, and a location wherein you can find the city of Trottingham --presumably a ponified England, assuming Trottingham is not like Hoofington (a civil center within Equestria too small to be mentioned on the map-- which assumes Trixie does not travel internationally).

Depending on who you ask, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna are either co-reigning monarchs with significant magical powers, or the empresses of the entire world, who for some reason have their native land administrated like a small unimposing country. So it's hard to say for sure what fan-world-maps out there are reasonable or unreasonable to adopt as one's headcanon. (Fitting with the last detail, it also varies whether or not Equestria is governed as an absolute monarchy, one with an aristocracy, a pure autocracy, parlaimentary monarchy, or even congressional republic with the Princesses standing as figureheads. My vote is for parlaimentary monarchy.)

equestria_and_beyond__rev_8_1_by_hlissneThis one is for a fan-fiction concerning travelling abroad. It assumes either a flat world, or that Equestria occupies a small region on a preposterously large planet (both of which have extremely odd ramifications for how the sun and moon's daily cycles behave). The "ley lines", the cracks in the image, are also supposed to be magic fields that behave like lethal radiation, which is why nothing beyond them is explored.

Map-south_of_Equestria-scan-IDW_main_ser

This is a map of the territory south of the mountain range in the canon map of Equestria. It appears in one of the IDW comics when the Mane cast venture out to find Queen Chrysalis. How authentic it is, is debated. It also has very little effective information as to the lay of the continent, or if any nations have claim to the territories it shows.

map_of_equestria_with_cities_and_towns_b

This person argues that something vaguely shaped like North America is the lay of Equestria, which means presumably the Earth's continents are roughly shaped like the countries in Equestria.

If you have the resources, you probably can't go very wrong in making up your own.

• Brohoof 1

Whoever came up with Detrot City... CLEVER!! (Michigander brony here, haha)

And yeah, I was gonna mention the IDW comics map(s?). I think you could generate a pretty decently 'accurate' map just basing it on relative American city locations.

Actually MCAsomm, the map is posted in this thread:

https://mlpforums.com/topic/110611-what-in-the-world-of-equestria/#entry3104187

Come join the Equestria Big Band project!

"A little glass of water, please..."

(edited)

It is established that regardless of what the whole World is comprised of in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, the fact is Equestria is only one country in it. It is not clear what nations it neighbors, or even if the Crystal Empire is a province, state, or enclave nation under commonweath control. We do know that there are at least three countries with whom Equestria has diplomatic relations: Maretonia, Saddle Arabia and whatever nation Griffons are from. There are also several other implied nations, such as a realm where Changelings are native, a country which is home for the Zebras, and a location wherein you can find the city of Trottingham --presumably a ponified England, assuming Trottingham is not like Hoofington (a civil center within Equestria too small to be mentioned on the map-- which assumes Trixie does not travel internationally).

If you have the resources, you probably can't go very wrong in making up your own.

Whoever came up with Detrot City... CLEVER!! (Michigander brony here, haha)

And yeah, I was gonna mention the IDW comics map(s?). I think you could generate a pretty decently 'accurate' map just basing it on relative American city locations.
Actually MCAsomm, the map is posted in this thread:
https://mlpforums.com/topic/110611-what-in-the-world-of-equestria/#entry3104187

Well, based on my headcanons, elements figured in the show and plot related issues for my fanfic, Equestria as a planet would look something like this...

EOzdIqq.jpg

Note that this is a fanfic set several years in the future with Luna and Celestia splitting again. Saddle Arabia would be under control of the Celestian empire, with the Griffons allied with Luna. For Maretonia to be so important for Celestia in the season 4 pre-finale, it could be an important exporter or resource island vital to Equestrian economy.

So, is it half way realistic?

Edited by MCAsomm

Sure. You could probably look at a few maps generated in Civilization 5 games for inspiration on the actual shapes of continents for a bit more variety. (If you have Civ 5, I reccomend the map styles Terra, Continents Plus or Archipelago.) But if you're thinking about things like tectonics, prevailing weather systems and global jetstreams, don't bother. Ponyville is literally walking distance from every kind of biome except tundras or muskegs. Just make it however you want it to look.

Also if you have Photoshop, don't forget to use Filters>Other>Offset to make sure the borders on the edge of the map line up.

(edited)

Sure. You could probably look at a few maps generated in Civilization 5 games for inspiration on the actual shapes of continents for a bit more variety. (If you have Civ 5, I reccomend the map styles Terra, Continents Plus or Archipelago.) But if you're thinking about things like tectonics, prevailing weather systems and global jetstreams, don't bother. Ponyville is literally walking distance from every kind of biome except tundras or muskegs. Just make it however you want it to look.

Also if you have Photoshop, don't forget to use Filters>Other>Offset to make sure the borders on the edge of the map line up.

I just drew it quickly on paint at 11pm, so yeah, sorry for the messiness. 

And is Ponyville really that close? It takes something like 6 hours on a horse carriage which would go at something like 4km/h to get to Canterlot, meaning Canterlot would be something like 24km away. It also takes less than a day, so lets say another 6-7 hours to get the the Crystal Empire on a train going at a speed from 150 to 200km/h, making it anywhere from 900 to 1200 km away, giving us an approximately 2000 something km large continent, which is not that small.

Based on that, Equestria Mainland's size would be somehwere near Europe's, so unless the planet has a circumference 8 times inferior to earth's, there's probably way more on this world.

Edited by MCAsomm

(edited)

I just drew it quickly on paint at 11pm, so yeah, sorry for the messiness. 

And is Ponyville really that close? It takes something like 6 hours on a horse carriage which would go at something like 4km/h to get to Canterlot, meaning Canterlot would be something like 24km away. It also takes less than a day, so lets say another 6-7 hours to get the the Crystal Empire on a train going at a speed from 150 to 200km/h, making it anywhere from 900 to 1200 km away, giving us an approximately 2000 something km large continent, which is not that small.

Based on that, Equestria Mainland's size would be somehwere near Europe's, so unless the planet has a circumference 8 times inferior to earth's, there's probably way more on this world.

The only metrics we have for distances are pretty slapdash and all over the place.

Canterlot distance travel time

S1E1 Less than a few hours within one morning by flight

S1E26 Less than a few hours within one evening by carriage

S2E1 Less than a few hours within one morning, by running

S2E9 Less than an hour

S2E20 Less than a few hours within one evening

S2E24 As much as 12 hours (overnight) by rail

S2E25 Less than a few hours within one day by rail

S4E19 Less than an hour by rail

Cloudsdale is implied to have easy access and that it was not ardous for the characters to reach it. Yet we see in S3E7 Wonderbolts Academy that it's far enough that it's more efficient for Pinkie Pie to send missives in the mail rather than having Fluttershy deliver them personally.

In S2E20 It's About Time Rainbow Dash says that she is able to accomplish at least conversation in Baltimare and Los Pegasus, having flown the distance between them as well as to and from Ponyville, in the space of a single afternoon.

Everywhere that's ever travelled in MLP with the exception of Dragon Quest and MMMystery on the Friendship Express is implied to be relatively close by to Ponyville or its surrounding environs. Even Sweet Apple Acres, where Applejack lives. In some episodes, it's extremely simple for characters to just walk there like she's a neighbor with an abnormally large lawn property. In others, it's shown that the Acreage is very sizable, and even pegasi flying at high speed still take a reasonable amount of time to cover only a portion of it.

This is for practical plot reasons, because the authors don't want to have subject matter constrained by geography or other equally uninteresting details that young minds probably don't care about.

Edited by Blue

The only metrics we have for distances are pretty slapdash and all over the place.

Canterlot distance travel time

S1E1 Less than a few hours within one morning by flight

S1E26 Less than a few hours within one evening by carriage

S2E1 Less than a few hours within one morning, by running

S2E9 Less than an hour

S2E20 Less than a few hours within one evening

S2E24 As much as 12 hours (overnight) by rail

S2E25 Less than a few hours within one day by rail

S4E19 Less than an hour by rail

Cloudsdale is implied to have easy access and that it was not ardous for the characters to reach it. Yet we see in S3E7 Wonderbolts Academy that it's far enough that it's more efficient for Pinkie Pie to send missives in the mail rather than having Fluttershy deliver them personally.

In S2E20 It's About Time Rainbow Dash says that she is able to accomplish at least conversation in Baltimare and Los Pegasus, having flown the distance between them as well as to and from Ponyville, in the space of a single afternoon.

Everywhere that's ever travelled in MLP with the exception of Dragon Quest and MMMystery on the Friendship Express is implied to be relatively close by to Ponyville or its surrounding environs. Even Sweet Apple Acres, where Applejack lives. In some episodes, it's extremely simple for characters to just walk there like she's a neighbor with an abnormally large lawn property. In others, it's shown that the Acreage is very sizable, and even pegasi flying at high speed still take a reasonable amount of time to cover only a portion of it.

This is for practical plot reasons, because the authors don't want to have subject matter constrained by geography or other equally uninteresting details that young minds probably don't care about.

Well that makes my World War fanfic much more complex... I guess I'm just going to stay with my headcanon measurements, it's more easy than to have a flexible world. 

As for Cloudsdale, wouldn't a city made on clouds be able to float a little randomly and change location?

I always figured Cloudsdale pretty much ALWAYS stayed within a few km of Ponyville, given that it provides the weather and all. About how big it Ponyville? Unless Cloudsdale provides UNIVERSAL weather for all of Equestria, I'd imagine it doesn't leave Ponyville's borders?

If Equestria has a similar wind current system, Cloudsdale could drift anywhere in the world, given it's made out of clouds. I guess the Pegasi try to make it stay near Ponyville, as there's no way a single small town provides weather for an entire continent at least a few thousands kilometers large. Maybe there are other similar weather towns, each with their own influence area where they provide weather.

Well that makes my World War fanfic much more complex... I guess I'm just going to stay with my headcanon measurements, it's more easy than to have a flexible world. 

As for Cloudsdale, wouldn't a city made on clouds be able to float a little randomly and change location?

You'd think. But then people stand on clouds and build things out of them, so there's that.

I guess the people who make this show did not expect us to get so fussy over what the map of Equestria looks like because they have not been very clear about which city is where and what is the distance between them.

However, from the show it looks like Canterlot is somewhere in the middle of Equestria and Ponyville is at most, a few hours journey by train from Canterlot.

Cloudsdale is a floating cloud city so it does not have to say in one place and Appleloosa is definitely far from the capital so the official map seems alright.

But yeah, kid's show. Writers don't really care what Equestria looks like on the map because plot.

SIGNATURE_1.jpeg

If Equestria has a similar wind current system, Cloudsdale could drift anywhere in the world, given it's made out of clouds. I guess the Pegasi try to make it stay near Ponyville, as there's no way a single small town provides weather for an entire continent at least a few thousands kilometers large. Maybe there are other similar weather towns, each with their own influence area where they provide weather.

I'm certain they've got methods to keep it in place. They can create massive wind currents just with their wings, and I also feel like thier magic plays a part in it. I agree that Cloudsdale couldn't possibly be weather control for ALL of Equestria... I wonder what the other skytowns are?

Come join the Equestria Big Band project!

"A little glass of water, please..."

You'd think. But then people stand on clouds and build things out of them, so there's that.

Well I guess it doesn't matter much for now. Cloudsdale is only mentioned briefly in the fic, and it's destroyed anyways.