Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Using the Mane Six in a Fanfic

Fox_Fire

So, I have an idea for a fanfic, and while it does not start out in Equestria (It starts in another dimension) it will end up in equestria. I have been thinking of ways this can happen, and one of the thoughts I had was that Pinkie Pies constant breaking of the fourth wall has weakened dimensional barriers, creating a crack. This will allow the main (mane?) focus of the story to enter Ponyville.

Any thoughts on this?

So, I have an idea for a fanfic, and while it does not start out in Equestria (It starts in another dimension) it will end up in equestria. I have been thinking of ways this can happen, and one of the thoughts I had was that Pinkie Pies constant breaking of the fourth wall has weakened dimensional barriers, creating a crack. This will allow the main (mane?) focus of the story to enter Ponyville.

Any thoughts on this?

Well, if you ask me, "Pinkie Pie the 4th wall breaker" is more brony meme than actual canon.

• Brohoof 1

Do you want comforting thoughts or honest thoughts? Because the two are not at all the same.

Comforting: Totally do it! Stretch your writing muscles and do what you want because you can! Go you!

Honest: That sounds like a terrible, terrible premise, on multiple levels, not the least of which being how hard it would be to do without copypasting EqG. Why use the Mane 6 at all? Why not make your OWN characters, and flesh out their histories and backstories and interactions and development? THAT would be a better idea.

• Brohoof 2

Well, if you ask me, "Pinkie Pie the 4th wall breaker" is more brony meme than actual canon.

Thank you. That makes sense :D

Do you want comforting thoughts or honest thoughts? Because the two are not at all the same.

Comforting: Totally do it! Stretch your writing muscles and do what you want because you can! Go you!

Honest: That sounds like a terrible, terrible premise, on multiple levels, not the least of which being how hard it would be to do without copypasting EqG. Why use the Mane 6 at all? Why not make your OWN characters, and flesh out their histories and backstories and interactions and development? THAT would be a better idea.

Nope, would rather have honest input. This is actually rather helpful as I do want the characters I created to be the main focus of the story. Lol, not used to having a situation where I can get input on bad ideas before I implement them lol.

• Brohoof 1

I've actually hit this problem myself just recently.  I have an idea of a for a story using established characters, but the question I have to ask is:  Are you writing the story based on the established characters because you could see this being plausible, or are you writing them because you want the main six for the sake of having them?

Not sure if that's clear, but let me do an example:

If I wanted to do a story about overworking yourself and the problems that come from it, Apple Jack or Rarity are very prone to this flaw.  However, if we were trying to do it for Rainbow Dash, it doesn't work near as much, as Rainbow Dash tends to be a procrastinator, and typically leaves things to the last minute.  So when I do this sort of story about Rainbow Dash, I have to consider what themes that define that character.  Going outside it usually leaves you with a sense of 'This doesnt work', and I think this happens far too often.

However, if you want to do that story, it may be served better with OCs that are designed with the characteristics needed to tell the story.