Tips for writing my first FiM fiction?

TheMarkz0ne

(edited)

This isn't a thread about what idea I should use for my story. I am just new to pony fictions and wanted to do several I had in my mind. I am afraid of people simply not liking my stories, I am not against criticism since no one is immune to it in entertainment. 

I mainly want to do on-going stories. I also wish to do stories focusing on two characters to the central plot. I am just ignorant to how people judge on FiMfiction. I want to entertain people and have fun, but I feel like my ideas aren't new enough and my stories will be down-voted too much or they won't get read. 

I had an interesting story involving Twilight and Chrysalis that takes place after the S6 opener, but I have looked at Twilight-Chrysalis stories and it seems my ideas aren't entirely original. My simple premise is that Chrysalis incapacitates Twilight and brainwashes her into believing that Chrysalis is her adoptive mother. Chrysalis orders Twilight to invade Griffon-Stone. Cadence and Shining Armor are showing off their newborn to possibly strengthen ties between Griffonstone and the pony nations. Chrysalis is in hiding and wants to destroy the ponies from the inside. Trick the Griffons into thinking Twilight attacking them is an act of war. Chrysalis would take every exploit and use it to her future conquest of Equestria after it has fallen.

There are other things I will keep secret to avoid spoiling, but that is the main plot and the danger Twilight is in. Wanted to write a story where Twilight is in peril, since she hasn't been vulnerable in recent years.

Edited by TheMarkz0ne

The first question I'll ask you is this one: Why do you write? No one wants to say the answer is "for attention" or "for upvotes," but if this is the answer for you, stop. You're probably not going to have a good time.

At the same time, I realize that upvotes are important and they do play a role in whether you're likely to write again or not (whether that means continuing an existing story or writing a new one). And here's where I have to say that Fimfiction is, unfortunately, not a very friendly place for the inexperienced or the the beginner. That is, poorly-written stories (by Fimfiction standards) will tend to be poorly-viewed and have lots of downvotes, but they will have no comments about why or how to improve. People may very well not like your story. (That's where avenues like MLPF and its writing section are particularly valuable.)

To stave this off, I'd recommend getting an editor, perhaps two. A second pair of eyes looking over your ideas is always a good thing for quality control. They'll be able to answer the question more accurately than you can of whether a particular facet of your writing will be liked. I, unfortunately, am so incredibly busy with school that I couldn't serve as an editor, but to comment on your existing ideas, I'd recommend trying something simpler or distilling the story down to a less convoluted plot. Such a story idea may attract downvotes merely because it is so complicated, and it's easy to leave plotholes with complex storylines. Heck, this is one even I would think twice about touching.

Hope this helps!

(edited)

try smaller projects first

use accepted formulas until you understand their application to the point that when you break a rule, it is for a specific reason

don't try to write the first draft in the first pass.  just keep your pen moving, and get stuff on the paper.

after you see the shit that you have written, try to find a piece that was interesting.

start over from scratch, using that one interesting idea.

be willing to throw stuff away and start over.  don't get attached to your writing.  if a paragraph or chapter has to go, get rid of it.

consider reading a writing book like "bird by bird" and/or a creativity book like "a whack on the side of the head".

"whack" is one of the best books I've ever read by the way. 

Edited by weesh
  • Brohoof 1

My main advice would be to write what you want to read. Yes, you should want to make a story others will enjoy, but I find that when you make your enjoyment top priority, it comes out in your work and other people will be able to appreciate it.  :)  If you feel like your ideas aren't original enough, put your own spin on it. Think outside the box. Find missing elements in other stories that will add an unique spin for your own. :twi:

When it comes to down votes, don't let it get to you. I can't emphasize this enough. Fimfiction can be a very harsh place for new and experienced writers alike. It can be very discouraging when you get down votes for a story that you put a lot of work in. What's worse is that most people down vote without giving a reason as to why. Ignore it. What you're looking for is constructive criticism of your work and there is nothing wrong with asking for it. ;)

Hope this helps! :squee:

My main advice would be to write what you want to read. Yes, you should want to make a story others will enjoy, but I find that when you make your enjoyment top priority, it comes out in your work and other people will be able to appreciate it.  :)  If you feel like your ideas aren't original enough, put your own spin on it. Think outside the box. Find missing elements in other stories that will add an unique spin for your own. :twi:

When it comes to down votes, don't let it get to you. I can't emphasize this enough. Fimfiction can be a very harsh place for new and experienced writers alike. It can be very discouraging when you get down votes for a story that you put a lot of work in. What's worse is that most people down vote without giving a reason as to why. Ignore it. What you're looking for is constructive criticism of your work and there is nothing wrong with asking for it. ;)

Hope this helps! :squee:

I used to look down upon fan fictions until I got into MLP. I have really bad art skills, so I really want to see if writing is something I am good at. I naturally enjoy coming up with ideas and just going further to see what I get.