Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Bug: Debate Section Improperly Displaying Anonymous User

Luna the Great of all the Russias

In a debate section thread, I did not post as an anonymous user, and neither did the other user. But the last poster's name appears as "Anonymous" when seeing the list of threads. The names are displayed properly in the threads themselves. 

0.png.3bad227d7d70281130b9d8f25b0f8391.png1.png.4f425a3ec607f9560a6cf686f4e13349.png 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2022-08-17 at 6:02 PM, Luna the Great of all the Russias said:

In a debate section thread, I did not post as an anonymous user, and neither did the other user. But the last poster's name appears as "Anonymous" when seeing the list of threads. The names are displayed properly in the threads themselves. 

0.png.3bad227d7d70281130b9d8f25b0f8391.png1.png.4f425a3ec607f9560a6cf686f4e13349.png 

This is definitely curious. I’m not seeing this currently, I’m assuming you saw that happen when looking at the forum topic list showing the most recent poster? 

On 2022-08-17 at 7:48 PM, WinterS said:

Perhaps this is connected to the anonymous feature itself. Nobody really uses it so I question - do we really need it? 

It likely is related.

Need is not a factor in turning on or off a feature. 

6 hours ago, Jeric said:

This is definitely curious. I’m not seeing this currently, I’m assuming you saw that happen when looking at the forum topic list showing the most recent poster? 

Yes. Though the latest poster of that particular thread is shown properly. However, I still see this for the thread "Do you think EVs (Electric Vehicles) truly help with pollution?" as it shows Anonymous instead of the actual name of the latest poster. The screenshot I took above was for the thread "Tipping: Is it really necessary?". If this is relevant information, I did notice that an anonymous user has made a post at least once In both threads. I do not think I noticed this happening for threads where an anonymous user has not posted.

Edited by Luna the Great of all the Russias

13 hours ago, Jeric said:

It likely is related.

Need is not a factor in turning on or off a feature. 

If features are causing bugs, I'd wager that it is best to remove those features so that the bugs do not occur.

On 2022-09-03 at 3:38 PM, Props said:

If features are causing bugs, I'd wager that it is best to remove those features so that the bugs do not occur.

Strongly disagree due to a lack of qualifying element to that. If it’s a forum breaking bug, yes. This is not.

When ranks stopped working I didn’t remove all ranks from display. When status updates required an extra step I didn’t turn them off. Same thing here. It’s a rather trivial display issue that will eventually be sorted out when I get to it. 

This is not up for debate. It’s considered a key feature for the area. Full stop.