S02:EP12 - Where the Rainbows are Made

DivineMist1000

I like this episode, but is very trippy. I'm not entirely sure if it has anything to do with the the lore

The only thing that I think It might be important in the future is actually a silly question: How does a pegasnail arrived there to clog the machine? And before you say anything... No, I don't think that particular detail is a mistake on the writers. 

• Brohoof 2

So, do all races have the ability to walk on clouds now? I mean, sure, magical clouds are magical and nothing needs to make sense anymore, but it's still something to consider

Also Sunny, maybe lead with the shield instead of letting your friends leap into a hurricane?

And if the machine could suck up rainbows, which also takes magic along with it, was that a backup in case the Unity Crystals didn't work and/or magic somehow returned? Are there similar devices in Bridlewood and Zephyr Heights now too, reawakened by the magical supercharge from the start of season 2?

• Brohoof 3

13 minutes ago, The Nth Doctor said:

And if the machine could suck up rainbows, which also takes magic along with it

I don't thin it was taking the magic.  Just the rainbow aura of the unicorns. However the unity crystals represent with the rainbow colors, so... I think they took it personal... or impersonal, since they are objects. 

• Brohoof 2

I just can't stop feeling tempted to make Rainbow Factory jokes every time I look at the title of this one. :grin2:

It's really good, even as I kept my expectations to a minimum because there was no way I was expecting it to top Written in the Starscouts. The song featured in this one is definitely something I have to check out the full, uninterrupted version of, I loved seeing Zipp, "the true protagonist", needing Pipp and Sunny to help her (even though it is disappointing that the rest of the gang doesn't get to do anything), and how rainbow barf is now a thing. RufusSavvyEmoteForum.png.85c8a5fc351fa28051c7ae22d5e8a849.png

I also liked getting to see a moment with Rufus again and weirdly enjoyed Zipp's element speech despite wanting the element speeches to be phased out. That may have something to do with the fact that we have not heard hers since the Season 2 premiere:zipp-wut:

Episodes Since Comet's Last Appearance: 13

To be fair, I don't think they would've given him something to do anyways, since only Pipp and Sunny got to help Zipp. :mlp_nom:

• Brohoof 1
  • smile 1

Couldn't they have made this mysterious cloud the weather factory from Cloudsdale? 

That would have been so in with the lore.

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Casey Pones said:

Couldn't they have made this mysterious cloud the weather factory from Cloudsdale? 

That would have been so in with the lore.

It was in Cloudsdale. the Tornado destroy it all except the machine. 

• Brohoof 2

This was a pretty average episode. Maybe above average. Also couldn’t help but think of rainbow factory the whole time this episode lol. The little scene with Sunny, Pipp, and Zipp trying to get to the rainbow machine was super cute. Like that we’re seeing more cloud related things like in FiM. Guessing that the rainbow machine existing means there’s probably weather machines/factories as well like in FiM.

• Brohoof 2

I think this episode is basically Hasbro attempting to remove connection from G5 and G4.

Change it up a bit with little things like the rainbow factory being auto instead of needing pegasi to maintain it. 

All ponies can walk on clouds now and so forth.

Or maybe they just want to finally end any further discussion of the creepypasta fan stuff at this point. 

I don't know I give up on logical thought on this episode it hurts my head too much..

I did enjoy it but for love of Celestia do NOT try to figure out continuity or logic... 

just enjoy it..

• Brohoof 2

5 hours ago, Iforgotmybrain said:

This was a pretty average episode. Maybe above average. Also couldn’t help but think of rainbow factory the whole time this episode lol. The little scene with Sunny, Pipp, and Zipp trying to get to the rainbow machine was super cute. Like that we’re seeing more cloud related things like in FiM. Guessing that the rainbow machine existing means there’s probably weather machines/factories as well like in FiM.

I have the rf song  song on my MP3 player and play it every Halloween is that weird? 

• Delighted Giggle 1

Eeh...I think was supposed to be disappointed, but I'm not, it's exactly what I was expecting from TyT

When I heard that this could be the reminscent of Cloudsdale I was already expecting that it wouldn't be accurate to what was presented in FiM, and that it would be 0% visually similar to it, there are similar concepts but that's pretty much it.

The episode in overall was the typical cliche TyT adventure episode, Characters go to a new place, a montage of scenes of the characters having fun there etc, then they need to solve a problem, action scene, problem solved, back to home, couldn't feel less fillerish, but here I felt it was worse than in previous episodes like "Buried in a Good Book", here they have something that ties in directly with G4, but they just can't do anything because of the contract with Discovery Family, so they turn the concept of the Rainbow Factory into a ugly machine, and it goes crazy because of a pegasnail??? Seriously? (Did I already mention that these little pony hybrid animals stopped being cute a long time ago?)

I personally have no problems with the "Rainbow Factory" working automatically now, but the way they've done it here is just extremely divisive for the fandom, was it really necessary? Don't know, but this definitely felt like a waste for me, again, there was absolutely no consequence from the characters going to such a important place like this, this should've been very relevant, but it ended up being more lots of nothing coming from TyT.

I keep saying from time to time that Hasbro just doesn't seem enthusiastic with G5, this episode for me was the best recent example of this and how this generation is vegetating, I do think it's too harsh to say that the creative team behind this isn't trying, yet, so for now I'll just say that this is writing shit, another wasted story with wasted revisit value

Honestly I don't know why I keep watching TyT, my hype for this generation vanished after the Opaline arc ended, maybe it's my curiosity that beats my disinterest and I don't want to lose anything, but man,  they keep throwing the potential of these stories that could be interesting in the trash with this damn 5 minute format, I'm not even frustated, I'm just really disappointed, I said that I wasn't, but I was referring to the episode, I'm disappointed with TyT and the current status of G5 as a whole, I want to be positive about it but I'm also realistic, it's good to see that some here are enjoying the episodes and aren't hopeless with this generation like me, maybe I'm being too boring, but I just miss how it used to be 7 months ago with MyM and TyT at the same time and the hype, it was great.

I think I'm starting to not care anymore about the stories that are being told because I know that they will always be wasted, and I'll just be watching the episodes to know where this is all going, and I'm barely caring about the characters at this point, and I have to wait 2 weeks to find out what will happen, which is also very bad, I don't know, for me it only keeps getting worse.

• Hugs 1

23 hours ago, WickedGames said:

So that unreleased clip from Spotify with them in the clouds is from this episode and not anything from Skyros?

As I said previously, it's still too soon to show Skyros :sealed:

2 hours ago, Rafa Stary said:

As I said previously, it's still too soon to show Skyros :sealed:

I’m sure that made that episode teasing Skyros and Sunny and what happen to her mom plus a few other instances because they thought Make Your Mark was gonna tackle these in its own episodes and leave it for that not knowing that Hasbro had well other plans for Make Your Mark

• Brohoof 1

On 2024-05-17 at 9:16 AM, Rafa Stary said:

Eeh...I think was supposed to be disappointed, but I'm not, it's exactly what I was expecting from TyT

When I heard that this could be the reminscent of Cloudsdale I was already expecting that it wouldn't be accurate to what was presented in FiM, and that it would be 0% visually similar to it, there are similar concepts but that's pretty much it.

The episode in overall was the typical cliche TyT adventure episode, Characters go to a new place, a montage of scenes of the characters having fun there etc, then they need to solve a problem, action scene, problem solved, back to home, couldn't feel less fillerish, but here I felt it was worse than in previous episodes like "Buried in a Good Book", here they have something that ties in directly with G4, but they just can't do anything because of the contract with Discovery Family, so they turn the concept of the Rainbow Factory into a ugly machine, and it goes crazy because of a pegasnail??? Seriously? (Did I already mention that these little pony hybrid animals stopped being cute a long time ago?)

I personally have no problems with the "Rainbow Factory" working automatically now, but the way they've done it here is just extremely divisive for the fandom, was it really necessary? Don't know, but this definitely felt like a waste for me, again, there was absolutely no consequence from the characters going to such a important place like this, this should've been very relevant, but it ended up being more lots of nothing coming from TyT.

I keep saying from time to time that Hasbro just doesn't seem enthusiastic with G5, this episode for me was the best recent example of this and how this generation is vegetating, I do think it's too harsh to say that the creative team behind this isn't trying, yet, so for now I'll just say that this is writing shit, another wasted story with wasted revisit value

Honestly I don't know why I keep watching TyT, my hype for this generation vanished after the Opaline arc ended, maybe it's my curiosity that beats my disinterest and I don't want to lose anything, but man,  they keep throwing the potential of these stories that could be interesting in the trash with this damn 5 minute format, I'm not even frustated, I'm just really disappointed, I said that I wasn't, but I was referring to the episode, I'm disappointed with TyT and the current status of G5 as a whole, I want to be positive about it but I'm also realistic, it's good to see that some here are enjoying the episodes and aren't hopeless with this generation like me, maybe I'm being too boring, but I just miss how it used to be 7 months ago with MyM and TyT at the same time and the hype, it was great.

I think I'm starting to not care anymore about the stories that are being told because I know that they will always be wasted, and I'll just be watching the episodes to know where this is all going, and I'm barely caring about the characters at this point, and I have to wait 2 weeks to find out what will happen, which is also very bad, I don't know, for me it only keeps getting worse.

But was that really Cloudsdale or no?

On 2024-05-19 at 12:05 PM, WickedGames said:

But was that really Cloudsdale or no?

They don't say it. But If I had to do make an educated guess. No it wasn't. It was just another cloud "terrain" dedicated to fabricate Rainbows. 

• Brohoof 1

honestly...this one was pretty dull.  we don't even get any cool visuals out of it, just cloud stairs and some generic-looking machine.  it seemed like they were going for a "you can't do everything on your own" moral, but it wasn't set up at all.  maybe if there was less cloud stairs, there would've been room to set that up?  TYT has told some pretty good stories in five minutes, this one just screwed around with cloud stairs too much.

cloud stairs.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

This has some lore potential and I thought it was fairly interesting. What is this machine? Where does it come from? Who made it? Why do rainbows have to be fabricated? It's very interesting to me but only leads to more questions. I also sort of dislike the ending, where it follows the trope of "See a problem, work together, cutie marks glow, problem solved". I hope for a more interesting approach to things, but this was a welcome change of pace from Maretime Bay. 

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

Mmm this episode was a mixed bag. It was certainly an interesting change of pace, but still ended up rather familiar.

Sure, it gave some new lore and some things are automatic instead of the Rainbow factory from G4, but maybe with magic being restored, things changed in Equestria a lot more? It's a bit odd though I feel like the next few episodes are going to be changing some things up(hopefully). Not much else to say.

Edited by Starlight Serenade
  • Brohoof 1