Could a location like this fit into the setting of Generation 1?

Jerry246

A floating city similar to Laputa from both Miyazaki film, Castle in the Sky and the original Gulliver's Travels?

Art+of+Castle+in+the+Sky+(C)+-+52.jpg

Choosing to show concept art of it because it would look different if a version of it if it was adapted into the pony world.

Does it at all look like it could fit into the art style and the mood of the series? A place Megan and the other ponies could go on an adventure to?

• Brohoof 2

13 hours ago, Lucky Star 216 said:

I would say yes, it could fit in. But it would depend very much on context and execution  

imagine an adaptation of "Castle in the Sky" as a G1 movie/special or rather early studio ghibli movies as G1 specials or movies

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, Otaku-sempai said:

The image didn't put me in mind of G1 so much. My first thought was: Laputa as Skyros! 

though imagine Megan and a small group of ponies exploring the castle in the abandoned and overgrown state it was in the movie, not to mention giving the "Heart of Laputa"...

1bba4-laputa-castle-in-the-sky-1986-e5a4

some sort of connection with the Heart of Ponyland.

Heart_of_Ponyland.thumb.png.ed4bb9d7793372a776090e6505a8d9fe.png

like it's intrinsically connected to Ponyland in some faint shape or form.

• Brohoof 1

The *concept* of a floating city would work in G1.  I have extremely vague memories of European G1 MLP comics having something like that, but I can't pin the memory down enough to find the instance I'm thinking of. Early MLP had a *lot* of content in Europe that North America never saw.

If you look at just the first G1 TV special, Rescue at Midnight Castle, especially looking at the backgrounds for Midnight Castle itself. then it would need a bit of simplification to the art-style but not really that much. They kinda went wild with that first animation and put *far* more effort into Tirek and his environment than you would think. Anything *else* in G1 though, and the background/large object art-style simplified a lot more to match the character styling. 

Unfortunately, Miyazaki uses that classic anime styling where backgrounds and large objects are *extremely* detailed, using a lot of panning shots, paper doll animation, or animation layers on-top, etc. to avoid having to animate the heavily detailed paintings. That art-style often doesn't survive the simplification needed to get it to the *average* G1 MLP towns and cities.

• Brohoof 2

ConsoleSig4.png

On 2024-09-07 at 11:58 PM, Fhaolan said:

The *concept* of a floating city would work in G1.  I have extremely vague memories of European G1 MLP comics having something like that, but I can't pin the memory down enough to find the instance I'm thinking of. Early MLP had a *lot* of content in Europe that North America never saw.

If you look at just the first G1 TV special, Rescue at Midnight Castle, especially looking at the backgrounds for Midnight Castle itself. then it would need a bit of simplification to the art-style but not really that much. They kinda went wild with that first animation and put *far* more effort into Tirek and his environment than you would think. Anything *else* in G1 though, and the background/large object art-style simplified a lot more to match the character styling. 

Unfortunately, Miyazaki uses that classic anime styling where backgrounds and large objects are *extremely* detailed, using a lot of panning shots, paper doll animation, or animation layers on-top, etc. to avoid having to animate the heavily detailed paintings. That art-style often doesn't survive the simplification needed to get it to the *average* G1 MLP towns and cities.

the other challenge would be the justification of the existence of the robots..

now imagine how much of a pain in the @$$ it would be to animate the collapse scene in G1's style. 

• Brohoof 1