Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Battery Backpack

DrAwesomer

I just watched a video of someone making a portable car charger (Car charger as in the small outlet in your car) with a car battery. I have REALLY weird ideas, so after I watched the video, I thought of making something similar, except inside a backpack.

I have an electric chainsaw, and I use it to cut wood in the back yard. However, the wood in the back yard is more than 250 feet away from my house, so I have to get a bunch of extension cords just to run it. I figured a portable power source would be much easier than dragging 5 50ft extension cords out into the back yard. Of course, if I was just going to use it for that, then I wouldn't build it. It could also be used when the power goes out, to power a few important things in my house.

I'd have to make a few modifications to the portable car charger. For example, I'd have to make it more powerful. the chainsaw needs about 14 amps, and the car charger only gave out 5-10 amps, depending on which fuses you used. I'd also have to make it a regular 3-prong outlet, instead of the car style outlet. Most importantly, I'd have to get it all inside a backpack.

Feel free to post ideas. I'll need them. :)

Ummm, I don't think you'll fit it inside a backpack. First, the smallest batteries you could use that would supply that kind of amperage over an extended period are sealed lead acid batteries from motorcycles and second, the size of the inverter needed to produce that kind of power (as your chainsaw runs off of AC) would easily take up a backpack. The backpack itself would weigh a ton and the batteries wouldn't last long both in charge life and in cycle life. If the backpack is optional, then you'd need a deep cycle battery that could push at least 160 Amp hours. which would both cost a lot and weigh even more. The easiest solution for you would be a gasoline powered chainsaw.

I've heard of people inventing flexible solar panels. They want to be able to have solar cells that behave like fabric, so they can make a jacket ouf of it. Then you can charge your cell phone by plugging it into your pocket.

Interesting. I'll have to take a look at one of those.

i strongly suggest not doing that, you could get hurt or even worse killed if it REALLY didnt work, your better of with a small generator

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

i strongly suggest not doing that, you could get hurt or even worse killed if it REALLY didnt work, your better of with a small generator

I found a website that sells small generators. Small enough to fit in a backpack. I might get one of those and make a few holes in the backpack to get the cords in.

post-5557-0-18444400-1341342245.jpg

Edited by DrAwesomer
  • Brohoof 1

I found a website that sells small generators. Small enough to fit in a backpack. I might get one of those and make a few holes in the backpack to get the cords in.

Ya that would work just dont screw with the generator itself that usually ends bad

I really don't think carrying an operating generator on your back is very safe. Please think twice about doing that! I do not want to see you on the Darwin Report website!