Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I need some help

Haystack167

Lately, I've hit somewhat of a brick wall in my writing.

I've realized that I suck :( And that I kind of whore out my fics to just about any website I can find.

I would like some help in writing and some ideas on getting my fics out there.

I would sincerely appreciate any help anyone would be able to give me.

Brony on everypony

Links to my fics:

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/51004/Full-Metal-Pony

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/44428/Silence-is-Not-Golden

I can't offer to much opinions or anything since I'm not exactly an experienced writer or anything. Actually I'm pretty terrible of a writer.

Anyways, you could be being to hard on yourself. You have to practice to make perfect ya know. And its also possible that maybe its just not you thing?

Not everypony's good at everything. I play the trumpet, but I don't have any skills in art or writing fics or anything really.(And its not like im the most amazing trumpet player ever...)

Point is its possible its just not something your meant to do, but if it is you need time dedication and practice to nurtiure it into a fluent talent.

• Brohoof 1

here's some writing theory to learn from.

you should get an idea on just how GOOD writers think about what they make. A lot of thought goes into writing before you even put pen to paper.

It says OC writing theory. HOWEVER, the theory being referenced is universal.

http://www.dawnsomewhere.com/ocguide/

Thanks I will look at that. I appreciate the help and I will try and think some more about my writing before I actually do put it down

Well...I can't give advice on something I haven't read...however, I can at least TRY to give advice on how to unblock :) . Whenever you feel you blocked on writing, there are many things you can do. Or even not do. First, give it time. Sometimes, people get VERY impatient because the ideas don't come. And then they get mad, and the ideas, that way, will NEVER come. Rule number one of being an artist: Never, EVER try to force the ideas/imagination. NOTHING good comes out of that. I may be just a rookie writer, but I know enough to know that. Second, if you still feel that the pesky block is still there, then do this. Take some time out of your day, and star brainstorming like you never did in your life. Hell, start thinking ridiculous ideas. You might get something out of it all, and that's normally how things start. Then, whenever you need to be creative, to me, I always find that listening to music, or hell, even reading can get you ideas. Listen to some music because maybe it will inspire you. That can easily happen (considering I always try to write with the music on, and it DOES work for me at least :) ). And if the block STILL doesn't come out, well, you can either panic or start trying this things repeatedly and wait. Eventually, something should come up in your mind, say "I know what to do!" and on to writing galore!

Then, putting your fic everywhere isn't bad! You have to get readers somehow you know? I initially posted my only two fics on FimFiction and FanFiction, and now I posted on DeviantArt as well, even though I barely use the site. One thing, is to promote your fic by posting it on sites it is allowed to and that are there for you to post said fic. Another thing is to promote it verbally and speak about it just about EVERYWHERE you go to see if people will read it. That isn't exactly right. So, if you post on sites that are made for that, don't feel bad, that's totally okay! What's not okay is to go around and just saying "PLEASE GO READ MY FIC THANKS!". Maybe just comment from time to time, but that's it. And don't be arrogant, that's a no no. Even IF you are good (of which i have no idea :lol: ).

Also, what Ceresbane said is right. Sometimes, art gets a LOT of thought before even going through. So, don't want to get an idea, because again, forcing it is not good. Let it come to you. And also, be sure that you WANT to write, before anything else. That's even wrose than forcing an idea. If you don't even want to write at the moment, then it's even worse. But anyway, like Ceresbane said, give your ideas for your next chapters a good thinking. Think that what you wrote is best, represents best the chapter and such. And also, be sure to be out for any grammar errors, or even small details you can put that would make the fic better. OR viceversa, take things out that would make it worse. It may take time, but it makes up for a good, well thought fic :).

And what Zygen said is also true. You can be good at anything you propose yourself to be. But some things might take more time than others. maybe writing isn't your thing and it needs more practice before you see for yourself any improvements. But don't be discouraged by this. In fact, think of the pride you will feel of being good after a lot of hard work, rather than the slump you feel for not being good at it currently. Always stay positive :) .

I hope all of this helps! :)

Edited by Arcanel
  • Brohoof 1