Science ponies!

mathboy

I had this idea a while ago and wanted to get some community reaction to it. That's part of the reason I joined this forum actually. So here goes...

Older bronies tend to create games and music for older bronies, but what about giving back to the target audience? One of my overall goals is encouraging women into science (well, getting more people into science in general), and a lot of that requires seeing good role models at an early age. What are the science qualities of various ponies? Do you think a science-themed pony game aimed at the show's target audience (or a bit older even) would fly?

Here are my thoughts on how the mane 6 fit into the various sciences. Please supply more ideas, I certainly don't know about every science out there!

Twilight: Physics and astronomy. I mean, she has at least two telescopes in that library. She could also serve as an overall narrator, as she's probably interested in every science out there.

Rarity: So, first I thought of things that would fit into fashion and design: Architecture and materials science. There are already a ton of bridge-building type games out there, so that seems to be successful. (The latter wouldn't fit in very well into a kids game, I don't think.) However, I head-desked when my girlfriend mentioned the most obvious science for Rarity: Geology. Seriously, how did I not think of that?

Fluttershy: Ecology and veterinary science. She would have a lot of overlap with Applejack on some things, but I think she'd have a good handle on population interdependence and the needs of various species.

Rainbow Dash: Aerodynamics and meteorology. Just about every kid is fascinated by the fact that anything can fly, and I remember being really interested in learning about weather (clouds particularly).

Applejack: Botany (plant biology) and veterinary science. She's gotta know something about fertilizers, nutrients, irrigation, soil, growth patterns, etc. to run a farm.

Pinkie Pie: Chemistry. Baking and chemistry have a lot in common. I also think that having both general chemistry and food chemistry in particular could be cool.

Which of these categories would you change? Add to? Are there non-mane 6 ponies that should be included?

• Brohoof 1

So you want a edutainment pc game for kids to teach them science? I think it's a pretty bad idea to teach kids with those kind of software, I believe that it would be better if kids learned it using standard methods/standard education software.

The best thing would be a game that incorporates these elements rather than being a straight-up edutainment game. But as I phrased it, it would probably turn out as edutainment. Alternately, can you think of a way to include these aspects into an otherwise non-science pony game?

I sort of agree, schools are terrible at teaching science (Schools won't show you how to make a nuclear reactor, I will though :P)

Health and safety get in the way although it is best to do hands on learning...

Maybe you could do a sort of 'try this at home' thing?

R96N2.png
Did you know: 20Kv's of electricity can kill you from up to 5ft away?

The best thing would be a game that incorporates these elements rather than being a straight-up edutainment game. But as I phrased it, it would probably turn out as edutainment. Alternately, can you think of a way to include these aspects into an otherwise non-science pony game?

Musicals, voice acting and ponified propaganda.I think that a musical about loving science inside the game would encourage kids to be interested in the subject, cutscenes with pony propaganda posters with phrases like "It's your patriotic duty to learn science" "Science will ensure the survival of your people" but I'm all about oldschool propaganda and the younger generation have morality issues with that kind of propaganda.

One does not simply study science without also having an understanding of the nature of energy and emotion in people. Cuase to study yourself and people first, then a pony can study science with a mind far more open then the mere memorization of information to be recalled.

Edited by TwilightCircuits

For I have saved your soul in the heavens, and now save it on the ground. - TwilighCelunaCircuits

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

r2m976.jpg

A lil' Catherine <(^.^)>

Musicals, voice acting and ponified propaganda.I think that a musical about loving science inside the game would encourage kids to be interested in the subject, cutscenes with pony propaganda posters with phrases like "It's your patriotic duty to learn science" "Science will ensure the survival of your people" but I'm all about oldschool propaganda and the younger generation have morality issues with that kind of propaganda.

Hmm, could work. I was also thinking that links could be added to just about any game. Something like "Wanna hear Rainbow Dash talk about how she controls the weather?" that's not necessary to finish the game.

Also, a bit disappointed that this moved into merch. I was hoping the thread could also cover 'ponies as scientists' and 'ponies as role models' as well as 'ponies as merchandise' :unsure: